Thread: Aluminum Bronze strings?

Mediocre but OK with that Paul Busman's Avatar

Default Aluminum Bronze strings?

I was in a Music and Arts store the other day and came across these Aluminum Bronze guitar strings:

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/acce...guitar-strings

I've never heard of Aluminum Bronze, and couldn't find any sets for mandolin online. Anyone know anything about this alloy?
    For wooden musical fun that doesn't involve strumming, check out:
    www.busmanwhistles.com
    Handcrafted pennywhistles in exotic hardwoods.

Default Re: Aluminum Bronze strings?

Only what I've seen on the .net - they're noticeably lighter tension than PB's of equivalent size due to the lower density of the alloy - that I would guess is a bad thing for mandolin - if anything something with a higher density alloy and thinner gauge would possibly be pthe mandolin "holy grail". Or then again, possibly, or not...

Did not like these strings at all. Turned my finger tips black and did not sound all that great. Not much to love.

I just tried to look at Paul's link & got his message - see pic. That's a new one on me. It seems as if the General Data Protection Regulation act (GDPR) is something else that's gone totally OTT.

Here's a bit of info. on the material itself :- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aluminium_bronze,

From Rob above - "..Turned my finger tips black .." That may be as a result of the Copper in the winding alloy (Bronze). Aluminium itself won't cause that.
    IvanClick image for larger version. 

Name:	MF Message.JPG 
Views:	121 
Size:	44.9 KB 
ID:	169629
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Kelsall View Post
    OTT
    I am getting the same, and I hear that happens a lot lately. Well, I guess, what with the world becoming smaller, someone had to make the effort to make it big again
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

I just tried to look at Paul's link & got his message - see pic. That's a new one on me. It seems as if the General Data Protection Regulation act (GDPR) is something else that's gone totally OTT.
    IvanClick image for larger version. 

Name:	MF Message.JPG 
Views:	121 
Size:	44.9 KB 
ID:	169629
    Well, this web site did not understand that the web site has to change to european regularities and not block european users ...

7. The following members say thank you to greeenhorn for this post:

IMHO - It's simply yet another ill thought through EU law to which maybe folk outside the EU don't know how to respond to. Seriously,how can reading a store's web page be a risk ??,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

I wondered why I got that message. Currently, it doesn't look like things will change much next year and I was looking forward to having bent bananas again!

Just to stay on-topic, the idea of aluminium and bronze strings sounds awful. (Isn't aluminium different in the US though? "Aluminum" or something?)

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

how can reading a store's web page be a risk ??
    Two things collide:
    - one side that likes making new laws every other day because there might be a risk of someone being screwed or hurt,
    - other side that is used to going out of harm's way because there might be a risk of being sued for just being born.
    That EU law is just Ralph Nader applied to the internet. Nothing new. We'll find new ways around it, though.
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

IMHO - It's simply yet another ill thought through EU law to which maybe folk outside the EU don't know how to respond to. Seriously,how can reading a store's web page be a risk ??,
    Depends on how you define risk, and how far you want your information distributed.

Many web sites use something called a "third-party persistent cookie" (tracking cookie) for advertising purposes. This allows steering ads in other web sites based on what you've already seen, and what the advertiser's algorithm is guessing about you, based on your browsing habits. I think that's where the GDPR comes in, and why most sites are now popping up "we use cookies, please agree to this" opt-in screens.

Personally I'm not too concerned about that (there are other things to be more concerned about, which is why I don't use FaceBook, for one thing). Most of us probably click through those tracking cookie agreements anyway. And you can always set your browser to either not accept cookies, or periodically wipe them. But it's good to know that web sites aren't just passive pages you view. There's a lot more going on under the hood, in today's commercial Web environment.

More info about it here:

https://privacy.net/stop-cookies-tracking/

12. The following members say thank you to foldedpath for this post:

TonyP 

garded

How quickly Cambridge Analytica is forgotten........