Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Martin vs D'Addario monel

Default Martin vs D'Addario monel

Anybody tried both? Big difference in price.
    Russ Jordan

Default Re: Martin vs D'Addario monel

Hello from just down the road a ways Russ! I've been through Tryon many times.

I have used D'addario Nickel Bronze for quite a while now and love them. I just got my mandolin back from a fret job and it has Martin Monels on them now. To me they are very similar feel and tone. Only a few days on them so far but if they hold tone like the NB do it will be hard not to switch for roughly half the price.
    Drew
    2020 Northfield 4th Gen F5
    2022 Northfield NFS-F5E
    2019 Northfield Flat Top Octave
    2021 Gold Tone Mando Cello
    https://www.instagram.com/pilotdrew85

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Drew Egerton For This Useful Post:

formerly Philphool Phil Goodson's Avatar

But D'ad Nickel Bronze isn't D'ad MONEL.
    So the Martin monel is good, but we await a report on the D'ad Monel.
    Phil

“Sharps/Flats” “Accidentals”

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Phil Goodson For This Useful Post:

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

I'd like to see Curt Mangan monels added into the mix!
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pheffernan For This Useful Post:

i put the Martin Monel set on a couple of days ago. They are plenty good, but it's taking awhile to get used to their medium gauge, as I've been playing the heavier gauge GHS nickel/bronze set with the .016 A, .027 D, and .041 G for the last 3 months. i might try changing the plain strings after 6 weeks or so. The Martin price is right, tho.

Next will be the D/A Monel set. i wonder if the D/A nickel plated bronze strings have a little more brilliance than the Monel set. At first i didn't care for the idea of the plated strings, but now i'm getting curious.

Quote Originally Posted by pheffernan View Post
    I'd like to see Curt Mangan monels added into the mix!
    I've got a pack of those waiting to be put on, probably in the next few weeks.

10. The following members say thank you to Frogstar for this post:

I've used all 3. They are a tossup to me. Will probably buy the Martins as they are the least expensive I seem to remember.
    -----------
    Pete Martin
    www.PeteMartin.info
    Jazz and Bluegrass instruction books, videos, articles, transcriptions, improvisation, ergonomics, free recordings, private lessons

www.WoodAndStringsBand.com
    Jazz trio

www.AppleValleyWranglers.net
    Western Swing music

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Pete Martin For This Useful Post:

Just got a couple sets of thew D'Addario EJM74 Monels. Have been mainly using Mangan Monel or D'Addario NB (either medium or the Thiele custom) and looking forward to trying these new monels. lI like both the Mangan and D'Addario, so it will be interestingto see if these new monels are much different.

My guess is I'll like them fine , as I stopped using phos/bronze or coated strings a few years ago and seem to gravitate to whatever that alleged "vintage" thing is with nickel bronze or monel steel. Guitar has the NB's on too, the unique "balanced tension" medium set (13.5, 18, 24, 32, 42, 56), which you guitar players out there might like to check out.

14. The following members say thank you to Prelude for this post:

Welp, the D'Addario Monels are on and I've been pickin' on them for an hour or so. These strings are right up my alley, hope the sound stays like this for a few weeks or so. Liking them right out of the package.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Prelude For This Useful Post:

Martin Monels went on the Stanley almost 3 weeks ago. Very balanced/even tone everywhere and they really come alive with the Wegan 1mm pick. Stanleys are known for midrange presence, but now the highs are terriffic and the low end has that "rattle" like the 7/9/23 Loar batch. i can't even put the dang thing down now.

18. The following members say thank you to dan in va for this post:

I like Monel's on my oval Girouard but not on my Ellis f5 and GHS A 270's will go back on but I at least gave the Monel's a chance on my Ellis

20. The following members say thank you to yankees1 for this post:

Were the Martin Monels too dark for the Ellis?

The GHS 270's sound wonderful on this mandolin, but only for a few weeks in the middle of the string life. The GHS Monels were a bit heavier and a little darker and less sparkle than the A 270 set, but a good sound that went on for at least 3 months.

i saw the thread on the Girouard oval A, and it seems quite nice. i would like very much to hear one.

22. The following members say thank you to dan in va for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by dan in va View Post
    Were the Martin Monels too dark for the Ellis?

The GHS 270's sound wonderful on this mandolin, but only for a few weeks in the middle of the string life. The GHS Monels were a bit heavier and a little darker and less sparkle than the A 270 set, but a good sound that went on for at least 3 months.

i saw the thread on the Girouard oval A, and it seems quite nice. i would like very much to hear one.
    These were D'Addario Monels and you are correct, a little too dark for me on my F5 but Mangan Monels on my Girouard oval sound great ! Just a lot more pop with GHS A 270's on my Ellis F5. You can pull up a you tube on a Girouard oval being played.
    Last edited by yankees1; Aug-16-2018 at 8:19pm.

24. The following members say thank you to yankees1 for this post:

Has anyone compared these strings to the GHS pure nickel? They sound great on mine and last much longer than phosphor bronze. I know there are mandolins that they won't sound good on, but then that could be said about any string.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

26. The following members say thank you to pops1 for this post:

To my ear the GHS Pure Nickel (medium light) strings sound very similar on my F5 to the Mangan monels. I have not tried the D’Addario monels yet. I like the GHS nickel strings a lot and they cost about half as much as the monels. Both the nickel and monel strings sound better on my mandolin than the phosphor bronze.

28. The following members say thank you to Andy B for this post:

Pops1, i was calling the GHS "Monel", but their correct name is "Pure Nickel". i also found them to last much longer and were a bit darker than their phosphor bronze. A very good string and intonated very well.

There is a set of DA Monels in the wings, but it will be a long wait if these Martins last like the GHS PN's.

30. The following members say thank you to dan in va for this post:

The D'Addario Monels have been on for almost a month and have made it through some soggy travels in WV and VT. Just picking on them at home tonight and thought I'd report.

I like 'em! A wee bit darker and drier than the Mangans, to my ears. Nice warmth for playing rhythm/ chordal work. Can really lean into them without getting harsh. Some might find the "vintage" tone too smooth or not bright enough for certain styles, but I find that the strings have held up pretty well and have retained some crispness and clarity despite fairly heavy use.

32. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Prelude For This Useful Post:

I still haven't gotten to play the D'addario version but I will report I am on my second set of Martin monels and am pretty happy with them. My only complaint is that I do feel like I miss the .016 and .115 gauge on the high strings.
    Drew
    2020 Northfield 4th Gen F5
    2022 Northfield NFS-F5E
    2019 Northfield Flat Top Octave
    2021 Gold Tone Mando Cello
    https://www.instagram.com/pilotdrew85

34. The following members say thank you to Drew Egerton for this post:

I've tried the Martins and the D'Addarios and I'm very much in the DA camp... I love these strings... The DAs have a much nicer feel than the Martins and I prefer their sound as well.

36. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Glassweb For This Useful Post:

The Martins have been played daily for some 6 weeks now and they still sound great. They give that Monroe kind of rattle on the low string with the 1mm Wegan pick on a Stanley A5. i'm pleasantly surprised with the Martin Monels and am looking forward to trying the D'A after these give up the ghost.

Dan, I would be interested to see what you thought of the Pure nickel from GHS after the D'A monels get a try. I like the nickel's a lot, but haven't tried the other two. Haven't heard anyone compare them to the monel's.

Hi pops1, i'll post either here or on the D'A Monel thread when i try them. The GHS PN's were really, really good; they felt good with the heavier gauges (11, 16, 27, 41) and had really good longevity and tone -- i would like it if the E could be a little beefier than the .011 and a little lighter than the .0115. BTW - i'm still on the Martin A case warpath!

40. The following members say thank you to dan in va for this post:

pops1 

Nice to hear Dan, I like the nickel and haven't bothered to try the others. Those cases will be a welcome arrival for many. Keep up the good work.

Quote Originally Posted by Prelude View Post
    The D'Addario Monels have been on for almost a month and have made it through some soggy travels in WV and VT. Just picking on them at home tonight and thought I'd report.

I like 'em! A wee bit darker and drier than the Mangans, to my ears. Nice warmth for playing rhythm/ chordal work. Can really lean into them without getting harsh. Some might find the "vintage" tone too smooth or not bright enough for certain styles, but I find that the strings have held up pretty well and have retained some crispness and clarity despite fairly heavy use.
    What mandolin do you play? I have a Weber with an englemann top with quilted maple back and it already has a wood tone GHS 270's Do you think these might sound too dark, like for playing reels and such?.

Quote Originally Posted by George R. Lane View Post
    What mandolin do you play? I have a Weber with an englemann top with quilted maple back and it already has a wood tone GHS 270's Do you think these might sound too dark, like for playing reels and such?.
    Only way to find out is to try them !

44. The following members say thank you to yankees1 for this post: