Thread: Any builders/aspiring builders/luthiers in Minnesota?

Question Any builders/aspiring builders/luthiers in Minnesota?

Hello all!

Been lurking this site for quite some time - and finally able to begin compiling intellectually gained knowledge and be humbled as I transition to attempting to physically produce an instrument. Long story short - there's been some years of health problems confining me to a bed and wiping much of my memory clear (or at least foggy as well as unable to read) and now I'm blessed with the opportunity to build an F5 with my father along with the guidance of a very talented builder that I have a lot of respect for, yet is also some states away. Additionally, I want to take it upon myself to learn as much as possible and improve skills on my end to not annoy him and continue to ask easy/obvious questions had I looked or tested on my own.

I'm just curious if there are any people in the Twin Cities area that build or get together or would love to just show off their work etc. I dont have much to offer in reciprocation other than a genuine wholehearted interest and an awful lot of enthusiasm and curiosity.

I look forward to getting to know more of you as I further participate in the forum.

Brian (not cool enough to have a nickname yet :/ )

Default Re: Any builders/aspiring builders/luthiers in Minnesota?

Hi Brian, you might want to contact the Luthier school in Red Wing and see if they have some ideas
    Hinde MF #40

You may also want to post this on the builder’s thread to see if you get more replies there. Welcome to the Cafe by the way!
    Hinde MF #40

Contact Dave Vincent at the Red Wing school. Hans Brentrup lives in Minneapolis, he is retired and his health is keeping him from building, but he is a wonderful person and may answer questions for you.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Thank you so much for all the replies! I've had some health issues and a tornado of nephews staying here so I apologize for the late response - but those are great ideas. I appreciate the specific suggestions.

I'll also give the builder forum a shot. I've been working my way mentally through the whole process - but as I'm sure you're all more than aware - ignorant mental knowledge doesn't exactly translate to a beautiful mandolin. At this point - I'm trying to woo maple in order to get it to bend without cracking. Apparently, I'm no Casanova with wood or women.