Thread: Lorenzo Lippi visiting USA

mando-evangelist August Watters's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Lorenzo Lippi visiting USA

I had a very interesting conversation this summer with one of the top Italian mandolin builders, Lorenzo Lippi. Lorenzo is thinking of visiting the USA in November, to attend the Classical Mandolin Society of America convention. While he's here, Lorenzo is interested in giving luthier workshops/master classes on the craft of building the bowlback mandolin.

Any ideas? Suggestions? I have a few ideas where to start, but curious to hear more.

BTW, another Italian builder, Salvatore Mancino, told me he doesn't build student-level mandolins because it's easier to get a better result at less cost, starting with an old bowl from a ruined mandolin, and building a new top and neck. With all the old Brazilian rosewood bowls around here, I'll bet that sooner or later some builder in the USA is going to figure out there's a niche market to be addressed.
    Exploring Classical Mandolin (Berklee Press, 2015)
    Progressive Melodies for Mandocello (KDP, 2019) (2nd ed. 2022)
    New Solos for Classical Mandolin (Hal Leonard Press, 2020)
    2021 guest artist, mandocello: Classical Mandolin Society of America

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to August Watters For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Lorenzo Lippi visiting USA

Quote Originally Posted by August Watters View Post
    I had a very interesting conversation this summer with one of the top Italian mandolin builders, Lorenzo Lippi. Lorenzo is thinking of visiting the USA in November, to attend the Classical Mandolin Society of America convention. While he's here, Lorenzo is interested in giving luthier workshops/master classes on the craft of building the bowlback mandolin.

Any ideas? Suggestions? I have a few ideas where to start, but curious to hear more.

BTW, another Italian builder, Salvatore Mancino, told me he doesn't build student-level mandolins because it's easier to get a better result at less cost, starting with an old bowl from a ruined mandolin, and building a new top and neck. With all the old Brazilian rosewood bowls around here, I'll bet that sooner or later some builder in the USA is going to figure out there's a niche market to be addressed.
    Well, I sure hope he goes to the CMSA meeting in November - because then I can meet him!

" easier to get a better result at less cost, starting with an old bowl from a ruined mandolin, and building a new top and neck."

That seems practical. He could also make small bouzoukis that way.

4. The following members say thank you to DavidKOS for this post: