Thread: Best string set/gauges for Trinity College Bouzouki?

Default Best string set/gauges for Trinity College Bouzouki?

I just picked up a TC bouzouki, and am wondering what strings sound the best on them. GDAE tuning to start, and I plan on keeping the octave pairs on the G and D for now.

The dealer gave me a set of GHS BZ8. 11 14 22/11 28/14.
    Do these gauges sound right? I ask because the package has them listed for CFAD tuning.

Thanks,
    Scott

Default Re: Best string set/gauges for Trinity College Bouzouki?

No, those CFAD strings will not work for octave mandolin tuning (why don't you try bouzouki tuning? It's a bouzouki, after all ;-)

Did you buy it new? If so then the strings that are on it will be the recommended gauge. If you have a micrometer you can easily measure the gauge of each string - if not I would say take it to a tech and see what is on it.

In a pinch the D'Addario EJ81 set for Irish bouzouki will work for it. Gauges are 11/16/28/40

Steve

Thanks Zoukboy, it is set up GDAE now, and since I've played mandolin a long time, I thought I keep it simple until I get the feel for it. I may change to GDAD later. I may also go to unison pairs. Unfortunately, I don't have a micrometer to see what's on it now.

Thanks Steve, I'll try those.

You were given the wrong trings, indeed.

TC bouzoukis come with 12/12, 16/16, 24/12, 40/16. No one offers a ready-made set with those gauges. Pearse has something close, I believe, but you have to buy singletons if you want those exact sizes.That’s what I do for my TC and it’s no big deal. I tune mine GDAD and they work beautifully. Enjoy!