Thread: Monteleone Mandolins

Default Monteleone Mandolins

Hello,

Are there any professional bluegrass/Newgrass pickers playing on a Monteleone mandolin? I know back in the day Grisman was, and of course Paul Glass has that gorgeous A style. But who else? I've loved every grand artist model that I have played so it got me thinking. I'd also be curious to know what professional musicians in any genre play a Monte.

Thanks,
    Dem

Default Re: Monteleone Mandolins

Seems John would feature them on his website? Y/N?
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Don Stiernberg has in the past, I think his Nugget and now the Apitius might be more prominently played now. Of course, Mike Marshall and his mandocello are always out front. John Jorgensen, Chris Hillman off the top of my head. There simply aren't that many of them out there. Of the Style B, I believe there are only 6. There have since been a couple of Radio Flyer's in the traditional A shape. The closest instruments I've heard, tonally, are Heiden's with the Engelmann top. Mine is a couple of years newer than Paul's.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WP_20140819_001.jpg 
Views:	406 
Size:	462.6 KB 
ID:	169549
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WP_20140819_002.jpg 
Views:	240 
Size:	2.24 MB 
ID:	169550

Buddy Merriam plays a Grand Artist. A great mandolin player that we don't hear enough about. He fronts Buddy Merriam and Back Roads out of New York. A great player who has written some wonderful tunes.

Mark's Style B is gorgeous in every way. Got to play it a little, would love to spend more time with that one.
    2010 Heiden A5, 2020 Pomeroy oval A, 2013 Kentucky KM1000 F5, 2012 Girouard A Mandola w ff holes, 2001 Old Wave A oval octave
    http://HillbillyChamberMusic.bandcamp.com
    Videos: https://www.youtube.com/@hillbillychambermusic

Spruce had a nice-sounding one but I think he let it go a while back.

Wasn't Mike's cello part of a set that John built for the Modern Mandolin Quartet?
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

I think the cello was more of a one off. The set he made were appointed differently I think.
    John D

7. The following members say thank you to JFDilmando for this post:

I may be old but I'm ugly billhay4's Avatar

Chris Hillman's is a beautiful sounding (and looking) instrument.
    Bill
    IM(NS)HO

Just saw John Jorgenson with Darol Anger's Blurgrass and then saw his John Jorgenson Bluegrass Band.
    He plays a blacktop Monteleone Grand Artist to great effect! I knew he was a stellar guitar player, I've seen
    his gypsy jazz band a few times but he also plays killer mandolin. Incredible musician, sings great too.

My Baby Grand Delux. Two shots, one when Donnie Stiernberg visited my studio, and a shot from John's workbench as he was finishing it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Donnie Monty1 10300.jpg 
Views:	371 
Size:	687.0 KB 
ID:	169565   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Monty5.jpg 
Views:	402 
Size:	116.8 KB 
ID:	169567  

Quote Originally Posted by SternART View Post
    My Baby Grand Delux. Two shots, one when Donnie Stiernberg visited my studio, and a shot from John's workbench as he was finishing it.
    Wow. That is an awesome looking mandolin.
    Would love to try that one out.
    Maybe we should have a Bay Area mandolin showoff party.
    I bet there are some beautiful instruments in the area.
    I can provide a Northfield Artist 5bar to the festivities.
    Just a thought.
    Mandolins: Northfield 5-Bar Artist Model "Old Dog", J Bovier F5 Special, Gibson A-00 (1940)
    Fiddles: 1920s Strad copy, 1930s Strad copy, Liu Xi T20, Liu Xi T19+ Dark.
    Guitars: Taylor 514c (1995), Gibson Southern Jumbo (1940s), Gibson L-48 (1940s), Les Paul Custom (1978), Fender Strat (Black/RWFB) (1984), Fender Strat (Candy Apple Red/MFB) (1985).
    Sitars: Hiren Roy KP (1980s), Naskar (1970s), Naskar (1960s).
    Misc: 8 Course Lute (L.K.Brown)

David Grisman was the first prominent player to use a Grand Artist. He probably still has one in his collection. Mike Marshall also played a GA, still plays a Monteleone mandocello. I have a lefty GA made in 1982. I think it is the first lefty made.

13. The following members say thank you to djeffcoat for this post:

Back around the "Hot Dawg" sessions Grisman overdid his playing in the studio with both playing rhythm throughout the tracks & melody playing too. He developed some left hand pain. Mike Marshall got the call to help & first appeared on a DGQ album.

At the time an arched fingerboard wasn't a common option like it is today. If I'm not mistaken the arched board on the Monteleone Grand Artist was one of John's innovations in the design, along with elongated scroll, cast tailpiece, and suspended smaller pickguard. The arched fingerboard helped David's hand problems. He played Monty's or later sometimes the Kentucky Dawg's in that era. Of course now he can play with any kind of board on any kind of mandolin and a cardboard pick and still get great tone.

15. The following members say thank you to SternART for this post:

dang 

Mike Sassano who lives not far from me and often plays with Wayne Fugate has to my ears and fingers one of the best mandolins on earth, a Monteleone Baby Grand. I own a Grand Artist mandola and was going to spring for a mandolin a year after I bought that one. I should have. I love the tone. Very rich sounding.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

17. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

Here's one of my favourite tunes by The Byrds - ''Time Between'' played by ''The Desert Rose Band'',with John Jorgenson on mandolin,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Blog Entries

There was a GREAT priced Monte Grand Artist in the classifieds a while back, I want to say it was in great shape and 16G compared to what dealers want up to 21-23G I've seen! If I had the cash I'd be all over that one, it was gorgeous looking.

Here are four of five Monteleonr mandolin family instruments that were in the NY Mandolin Orchestra circa 1985. John came to our concert and we took this quartet photo. There was one other person who had a baby grand mandolin. This was a scan from a cheapo camera and shot in available light, so sorry for the quality. L to R: Wayne Fugate, Harvey Weitzner, John M, Rocco (can't remember his name) and myself.

Name:	monteleone_qtet.jpg 
Views:	274 
Size:	1.31 MB 
ID:	169635

Here are a few pics of my mandola. Decent mandola cases were hard to find so John custom made mine by gutting a saxophone case.

Name:	monteGAmdla_ftbk.jpg 
Views:	228 
Size:	950.7 KB 
ID:	169636 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	monteGAmdla_incase.jpg 
Views:	205 
Size:	579.9 KB 
ID:	169637 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	monteGAmdla_hdstk.jpg 
Views:	210 
Size:	271.9 KB 
ID:	169638
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

21. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Jim Garber For This Useful Post:

I have a friend who has two full sets of John’s mandolin family instruments. He also owns a Strad (yeah a real one) and an Amati though.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

Here are a couple of pics of my Monteleone:

Name:	6448B5CF-BBD6-4F77-985B-FDBC9540B874.jpg 
Views:	225 
Size:	463.7 KB 
ID:	170748Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2182BE03-2368-4E6A-88E5-406FA21D1A5B.jpg 
Views:	179 
Size:	456.6 KB 
ID:	170749
    It’s #6, made in 1976. John said it was the prototype for his Baby Grand model.

Incidentally, re John Jorgensen’s Monteleone, he told me it was the only one of his instruments that couldn’t be restored after the Nashville flood, it was so badly damaged.

Pete Marshall
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	175 
Size:	478.4 KB 
ID:	170747  

Quote Originally Posted by Mandobar View Post
    I have a friend who has two full sets of John’s mandolin family instruments. He also owns a Strad (yeah a real one) and an Amati though.
    #goalsillneverachieve
    Pomeroy #244 Custom Mandocello - "Liuto Americano"
    NS Design CR6 Electric Cello

Quote Originally Posted by Mandobar View Post
    Interesting. I can see a full set of mandolin instruments (I assume a quartet) but why two full sets. Oh, maybe a full set of Grand Artist instruments and then a full set of the more modernistic ones like Radio Flyer?
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately: