Thread: Set-up Shop in Orlando area?

Default Set-up Shop in Orlando area?

So I recently acquired a mandolin from guitar center as a gift and wanted to know if there is a place in orlando that I can check if its set up properly. I'm brand new to the mandolin world, so I'd like to make sure everything is in order.

Default Re: Set-up Shop in Orlando area?

Sensukai, welcome to Mandolin Café and the mandolin world in general. I'll be interested in hearing the answer to this as we are planning a future move to the Orlando area. We currently have a winter home in Naples, FL and there are very few music shops in the area and none cater to acoustic instruments.

Enjoy your journey.
    "All of us contain Music & Truth, but most of us can't get it out." - Mark Twain

Eastman MD615SB
    Martin D35
    Gibson SG

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Ross Teigen has relocated from Naples to Hawthorne, east of Gainesville and north of Orlando: http://florida-luthier.com/
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

4. The following members say thank you to pheffernan for this post:

Huh interesting, that's about 2hrs out of town though sadly.

Would you know of any closer to the orlando area?

You'll learn a lot if you set it up yourself. Email me at rob.meldrum@gmail.com and put Mandolin Set Up in the subject line. I will email you my ebook on how to set up a mandolin. The ebook is free. You'll need a set of feeler gauges (less than $10 at any auto parts store) and a file or dremel to put notches in them (I show you how to make your own nut files).

Have fun!

Rob

Would you recommend doing your own set-up for beginners? I'm brand new with mandolins and don't really know much about them. I don't really know what a proper mandolin set-up and would hate to mess up my own instrument. I just want to make sure that this instrument is properly set-up.

Rob's book and a ruler and a set of feeler gauges will allow you to do your own assessment. If you are mechanically handy, you can do the setup too. I understand if you aren't. I have a friend who hasn't one bit of mechanical aptitude that I do setups for.

But get the Meldrum e book anyway, it's free, and you will at least have an understanding of the process. A rule of thumb is the most work is needed on the least expensive mandolins. IMHO, you should get the frets leveled. That as part of a setup can run you a hundred bucks or more. Your bridge is likely to fit poorly too.

All these factors will have a direct impact on your enjoyment of playing this wonderful instrument. You can find many set up videos on The Rosa Strings Workshop YouTube channel .
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

Thanks! Would you recommend going to a music shop to get the frets leveled or try doing it on my own? I've read a lot online to be wary about general music shops as repairs from them can make the mandolin worse that it already is.

10. The following members say thank you to Sensukai for this post:

There’s a talented luthier in Orange City. Just up I-4 from Orlando Peter Taylor- Chellee Guitars 386-668-8840. He builds great guitars,can set up anything with strings. He has set up several guitars and mandolins for me.

Good luck

12. The following members say thank you to Jomamma for this post:

Huh, thanks! I'll keep that in mind for sure.