Thread: Avi Avital's Chaconne

Default Avi Avital's Chaconne

Avi Avital takes on the Chaconne from Bach's Partita no. 2 in the July 18 edition of Performance Today. It's at the end of hour one on the website (some nice playing from guys named Thile and Ma earlier, too): https://www.yourclassical.org/progra...des/2018/07/18

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Scot63 For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Avi Avital's Chaconne

A nice comparison of two different classical players Thile and Friends at the start and Avi at the finish of hour one, with very different styles and sounds and audio production. To be fair, Avital's performance is a live recording, and Thile's Trio is a 'studio' album. I don't know where it was recorded. It would be nice if Thile got to finish the Bach solo works in a second album, so that we could hear his Chaconne.
    BradKlein
    Morning Edition Host, WLVR News
    Senior Producer, Twangbox®
    Twangbox® Videos

4. The following members say thank you to BradKlein for this post:

Scot63 

I couldn’t figure out how to move the recording to the end where Avi is playing but here is a video of his playing the Chaconne:

I still maintain that that is a difficult piece to get the same emotional effect from a mandolin as you can with a violin. I have listened to Hilary Hahn’s rendition and it is incredibly moving. The mandolin, as much as I love it, does not have the sustain and timbre that a violin does. However I do think that Avi does a wonderful job and enjoy his mastery of the instrument.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jim Garber For This Useful Post:

Masterful! Love me some Avi!

Here's a rendition on mandolin by Avi's countryman, Alon Sariel. Equally nice IMHO.

Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

9. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Jim Garber For This Useful Post:

Peace. Love. Mandolin. Gelsenbury's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Yes, the Alon Sariel version is really good! I hadn't heard of him before. He also plays a Kerman mandolin if I'm not mistaken.

I like it how Avi Avital lives every piece of music while playing it. I prefer his folk/classical crossover on "Between Worlds", but this is great too. One of my favourite players.

marvelous!

All those Israeli guys play Kerman mandolins. My daughter is going over there in August. I told her to buy me a bagful. I wonder if it is against the law over there for any mandolinist to play anything but a Kerman.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

13. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

They sound great and I am sure they are expensive. I would like to have one in my collection.

15. The following members say thank you to PH-Mando for this post:

Beautiful virtuoso playing.
    Both use a similar picking style. Very untraditional. I’ve been fortunate to participate in ensembles led by both Avi Avital and Jacob Reuben. The plectrum is held between the thumb and both index and middle fingers! The angle hitting the strings is similar to how a John Reischman plucks the strings.
    Just thought I would point it out!
    Cheers to all.

17. The following members say thank you to Barry Canada for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    All those Israeli guys play Kerman mandolins. My daughter is going over there in August. I told her to buy me a bagful. I wonder if it is against the law over there for any mandolinist to play anything but a Kerman.
    I just had a chance to speak to Radim Zenkl at Lark Camp - he has played with several Israeli school players over the years and tried the Kerman instruments.

He said they sound good and are LOUD.

I still am waiting to play on one.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Canada View Post
    Beautiful virtuoso playing.
    Both use a similar picking style. Very untraditional. I’ve been fortunate to participate in ensembles led by both Avi Avital and Jacob Reuben. The plectrum is held between the thumb and both index and middle fingers! The angle hitting the strings is similar to how a John Reischman plucks the strings.
    Just thought I would point it out!
    Cheers to all.
    From what I understand the Israeli school was started by a violinist/mandolinist. I don't know enough to make a knowledgeable comment on what really happened in terms of choice of pick hold, it could have been the way the teacher held his pick. There could be other reasons.

The whole modern Israeli mandolin tradition is far under researched ( at least in English!) at this time.

20. The following members say thank you to DavidKOS for this post:

I’ve had the opportunity to play both Avi and Jacob’s Kermans. The strings are Thomastiks. From what I remember Avi telling us at a workshop in Montreal their teacher was an accomplished Russian immigrant violinist who really was not a mandolin player. He had trouble setting up as a strings teacher so in order to survive he taught mandolin and set up began a mandolin orchestra.
    Apparently not all of the Kerman’s sound like their instruments as would be expected with in all luthier made instruments!
    The instruments I have played are even sounding throughout the fret board and across the strings.
    The projection is wonderful. There is a double back in the design sort of like what Joseph Brent has incorporated in his mandolin built by Brian Dean. The plectrums used are pretty regular. They don’t use Blue Chips, Wegens or the Treckels or anything fancy!
    But let’s be real about this, These players are incredible! I would say that is the most significant factor in sound generation!
    There are very few new Kermans under production Mr. Kerman is quite a senior at this moment.
    Hopefully there will be a new breed of luthiers carrying on this evolving trade. Thought I would just add some additional information seeing that there is some interest.
    Have a great picking weekend!
    If you check out Mandomontreal website you will have access to interviews with both Jacob and Avi. Jonathan Belanger did a great job interviewing these fine musicians.

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Barry Canada For This Useful Post: