Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Why is the Kentucky KM900 being discontinued?

Default Re: Why is the Kentucky KM900 being discontinued?

Quote Originally Posted by MikeEdgerton View Post
    If anyone feels the need to discuss any hot button issues it's a big old Internet and there are lots of places to do it. The Cafe isn't one of them. Thanks. Carry on.
    Sorry Mike,

I didn't mean to start that kind of discussion, certainly not here on the Cafe. So let me ask as a follow up to almeriastrings statement about any other "economic factors" that may influence the price of future replacements of the venerable KM-900?

Len B.
    Clearwater, FL

Blog Entries

There are a huge number of such factors: international currency fluctuations, shipping costs, insurance costs, wages of employees, materials costs, factory overheads, warehouse overheads.. it goes on. All eventually 'filter' through into the final cost the customer pays. Most of these things are going up, rather than down.
    Gibson F5 'Harvey' Fern, Gibson F5 'Derrington' Fern
    Distressed Silverangel F 'Esmerelda' aka 'Maxx'
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288
    '39 & '45 D-18's, 1950 D-28.

I wonder if this is a move to remarket their higher end models as a Northfield class of mandolin? I also wonder if Eastman will be following their lead.

Some of you keep mentioning the KM-950, well they also make a KM-956 which is the same mandolin except for the color, go onto the Saga web sight and look at the difference, the 956 doesn`t have a burst, they are a dark color which I dearly love myself and I have owned both a 900 and a 956 and both sounded great, I am not one that likes the radius fingerboard so maybe in time I will get used to it or maybe flatten that out, easy enough to do...The 956 also has a pearl nut which I don`t believe is on the 950`s, I could be wrong on that...For the money I don`t believe there is a better deal out there if you want a bluegrass sounding mandolin and dollars are short...No, I haven`t played every brand of mandolin but from the ones that I have played the KM-900 series will knock your socks off, by all means play one if you get the chance and see for your self...Then maybe mine will go up in value and I can sell it for quite a profit...NEVER...

Willie

When did they switch to 1 1/8" nuts on the 900, 1000 and 1500? Anyone know? They used to be 1 1/16".
    2010 Heiden A5, 2020 Pomeroy oval A, 2013 Kentucky KM1000 F5, 2012 Girouard A Mandola w ff holes, 2001 Old Wave A oval octave
    http://HillbillyChamberMusic.bandcamp.com
    Videos: https://www.youtube.com/@hillbillychambermusic

6. The following members say thank you to Don Grieser for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Don Grieser View Post
    When did they switch to 1 1/8" nuts on the 900, 1000 and 1500? Anyone know? They used to be 1 1/16".
    I believe it's the 950 and 1050 with the wider nut and radius.

"I am “Surprise”-d Dennis knew this but Robert did not."

Robert has dropped the Kentucky line for the time being. I did just receive the newest catalog with the KM-900 listed though. See where assumptions get you!
    Robert Fear
    http://www.folkmusician.com

"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.
    " - Pete Seeger

Blog Entries

I thought I recently seen a few K's on the café classifieds for a good deal,a 900 and 950?

900 or 950, they are right now a best buy mandolin. But if there is a hefty price increase, one would have to look to the entry US made product or Northfield. Several years ago now, I was test driving the F style version of this Kentucky, and the price was $1000 less than a Northfield. I came to the conclusion I would need to spend the money for the Northfield. If the Kentucky had a $200 increase, the choice would be even easier. But the point becomes moot if you don't have the $800.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Br1ck For This Useful Post:

I really look like that soliver's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by soliver View Post
    I'm headed to Carters Vintage come Sept.... you guys have me thinking I deffo wanna put my hands on a 900 or 950 if they have one!
    Forgive me quoting myself, but I looked online and there is a 900 at Gruhn's for $1050... I'm still a month and a half away from my Nashville trip, but I'm looking forward to it. While I know the 900 has a flat fretboard (my preference is radiused) I am looking forward to trying it out... amongst about 900 other things
    aka: Spencer
    Silverangel Econo A #429
    Soliver #001 & #002: A double stack of Pancakes.

Soliver Hand Crafted Mandolins and Mandolin Armrests
    Armrests Here -- Mandolins Here

"You can never cross the ocean unless you have the courage
    to lose sight of the shore, ...and also a boat with no holes in it.” -anonymous

Just posted in the classifieds today by The Mandolin Store.......

https://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/127244#127244

NFI
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

I remember they used to pop up in the classifieds for around $600 shipped back in the good old days. In fact I'd bought and sold a number of them. All good sounding mando, and great for the money. Those new prices definitely made me do a double-take. Signs of the times I guess.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Clement Barrera-Ng For This Useful Post:

I used to buy a 16oz. soda and a comic book for 25 cents.

My father in law told stories of a free oyster bar in most saloons in San Francisco where for the price of a drink, you could munch on oysters, shrimp, clams, and crab.

The new prices of Kentuckys would drive me toward buying A used MT, Pava, Weber or whatnot. Or more likely a used version of those.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

there going to price there self out of there market & make some U.S. makers look like a bargain & then there prices should drop back down, right now there hot but if people were to stop buying them that would throw a little water on their flame. after all the made in China mandolin was a bargain instrument. I guess its no more. maybe they should move there operations to Vietnam.

One more time I will say this, and I don`t have any irons in the fire for Kentucky`s...I have compared both the KM-900 and the KM-956 with other big name A model mandolins and the Ky`s don`t have to take a back seat to any of them...For the money I don`t know of a better deal out there...Sure I have bought and sold some but that is my way of making a few bucks now and then..Right now I only own one, a KM-956 that is a fantastic sounding bluegrass mandolin...IF you get the chance try one and you just might buy it...

Willie

Blog Entries

Reminds us of the thread about critics. People that know more about how to run a large music corporation--that never have and never will-- than the people actually responsible for making sure the lights are kept on.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mandolin Cafe For This Useful Post:

I think you'd be hard pressed to find something better for $1000 new than the closeout KM-900, If you like the flat fingerboard and traditional frets.
    I prefer radiused fingerboard and larger fretwire. Even with the current price on the KM-900, I personally would prefer the JBovier A5 for $900
    https://mandolins.ecrater.com/p/16368398/2017-a5

Reminds us of the thread about critics. People that know more about how to run a large music corporation--that never have and never will-- than the people actually responsible for making sure the lights are kept on.
    Exactly. But, everybody has an opinion.
    Mitch Russell

Blog Entries

Yes, of course. Carry on. A wise man once said:

"It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt."

--Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by bluegrasser78 View Post
    They'll still have/make something similar I'd bet. They made many over the years so there are many out there that people will sell or trade up. Some of those A-5 styles from Kentucky are just as good as mandolins costing
    3-4x's! I had older Korean builds but never the newer models and what I've heard the newer builds have it going on to my ear anyway!
    Quote Originally Posted by Willie Poole View Post
    One more time I will say this, and I don`t have any irons in the fire for Kentucky`s...I have compared both the KM-900 and the KM-956 with other big name A model mandolins and the Ky`s don`t have to take a back seat to any of them...For the money I don`t know of a better deal out there...Sure I have bought and sold some but that is my way of making a few bucks now and then..Right now I only own one, a KM-956 that is a fantastic sounding bluegrass mandolin...IF you get the chance try one and you just might buy it...

Willie
    The 900 and up Kentuckys are very nice instruments, but they have all lacked that special something in the G string that all the small US makers seem to have, that special something is to me worth the premium, and if the premium is now significantly less, the sting is too.

I agree, I could run Saga into the ground in a very short period of time. I could also sink Martin by going back to straight bracing and smaller nut size to get some of that brittle punch back in a D 18. LOL. And there is always the possibility they are out front of a general materials increase and everyone else will soon follow suit.

I don't know what it would cost them to get that special something into the G string though.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

Had a long talk yesterday with one of the top guys with Kentucky. What he told me coincides with what I have heard from the other makers. Sales are not the issue. Sales are doing well, too well in fact. Many imports have been having an ongoing issue keeping mandolins in stock. This has been off and on for years now. Every once in a while, everything is caught up for a month or two, then back to waiting months to get mandolins. I still have orders in from late 2017 that I haven't received. Having so many models surely isn't helping.

Why can't they simply ramp up production if everything is selling? Well, that is another story and there are many factors at play. It isn't necessarily the reasons that seem obvious. Cities for instance. It is still causing problems. There are others....
    Robert Fear
    http://www.folkmusician.com

"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.
    " - Pete Seeger

26. The following members say thank you to Folkmusician.com for this post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mandolin Cafe View Post
    Yes, of course. Carry on. A wise man once said:

"It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt."

--Mark Twain
    Well, yes... but Dr. John Dee got there a few hundred years earlier...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	quote-who-does-not-understand-should-either-learn-or-be-silent-john-dee-68-76-06.jpg 
Views:	151 
Size:	38.1 KB 
ID:	169658

They were both right, of course...
    Gibson F5 'Harvey' Fern, Gibson F5 'Derrington' Fern
    Distressed Silverangel F 'Esmerelda' aka 'Maxx'
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288
    '39 & '45 D-18's, 1950 D-28.

28. The following members say thank you to almeriastrings for this post:

Holy price increase, Batman! Sheesh . . . https://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/127844#127844

Quote Originally Posted by doublestoptremolo View Post
    Holy price increase, Batman! Sheesh . . . https://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/127844#127844
    Seems like Kentucky is pricing themselves out of the affordable market on their high end. I'm not sure that many will buy a KM-950 for $1650.
    The KM-200 series are still a fantastic deal though!

31. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to colorado_al For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Why is the Kentucky KM-900 being discontinued?

I bought a KM-160 or KM-161 (all black) from McCabe's a few years ago, which sounded better than it had a right to. The setup was still rough when we got it, but after I was done tweaking it, I didn't want to part with it. It was for a (famous) student, so off it rode with her into the sunset..

I have a KM-950 (+K&K) now, thanks to the 'cafe classifieds, which has a unique sound.
    One of the things I have always liked about them (and more so with the KM-900) is that they are a budget mandolin that follows the pattern of the so-called, 'Griffith Loar'. The 'A' model body with that long run up to the shoulder forces the bridge placement farther north to work with that longer F-5 neck, and is likely the main reason for its unique tone. They even have worm-under-gear configuration on the tuners, with all retro-type ( - not + head) screws. If only their buttons' retaining screws followed suit. Apart from that, my only other rather small gripe was that they are 'side-bound' IE. the w/b/w binding shows from the side. 'Top bound' would have been spot on:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fullsizeoutput_563.jpeg 
Views:	113 
Size:	1.06 MB 
ID:	170112Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fullsizeoutput_565.jpeg 
Views:	82 
Size:	1.20 MB 
ID:	170113Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fullsizeoutput_566.jpeg 
Views:	107 
Size:	1.46 MB 
ID:	170114

*I was only going to mention the KM-161, but I got carried away. Sorry for the long post..