Thread: reduceing weight with the blocks and points

Default reduceing weight with the blocks and points

I'm sure I've read that builders have tried to reduce weight by drilling holes in blocks and points and am wondering if much strength is lost while doing this. Lately, I've used laminated mahogany (two pieces at 3/4 inch each side) cross grained with one piece having proper grain direction.. It would add another step to the build, but would the loss of weight offset any loss of strength.. Keith
    kterry

Default Re: reduceing weight with the blocks and points

Huh? A mandolin -- even an F5 style -- is a very light instrument to begin with. Why would you go to such lengths to seek to make it a tiny bit lighter?

slight changes in constructing a mando will change the tone .. my first mando build was truly a brick, weighing much more then others after it.. It sounded okay, just not what it could have.. We builders are always trying for that perfect combo to improve sound and playability .. But,, how low can you go...…..
    kterry

I do know that an empty barrel makes the most noise, so it's got to be worth a try.

More important, is where the weight is, rather than how much. Take a 5 gram piece of clay and put it squarely on the center of the top, then place the same piece of clay near the rim. The only time it makes a difference in tone is when its placed in the center.

The old Gibson's were not light mandolins compared to others more recent, or Martin's. My Brentrup is not light, both my '22 and the Btrentrup are killer sounding mandolins, yet fairly heavy. As fscotte says it depends where the weight is.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!