Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: old repair

Default Re: old repair

Paul, I'm not a luthier either, but I think a reneck would be a lot more work. Aside from that this is a mandocello (apologies, I didn't mention that until #7). Maybe a lotto jackpot is more likely than finding a replacement neck. That said, this one kinda fell in my lap (at minimal cost).

I've been in a similar situation before; the choice between repairing and replacing the neck running close to 50/50. I concluded that either way, the neck was "trashed" - now, or when the next repair was needed. So, having considered the neck "trashed", I concluded that it didn't matter how I repaired it as long as it was serviceable. I used epoxy and carbon fiber splines, then disguised the repair with new overlays. It looked pretty good when it was done, but the next time that thing breaks it probably won't be repairable, so the neck will likely be trashed.

(Here's the repair.)
    Last edited by sunburst; Jul-28-2018 at 4:32pm.

Quote Originally Posted by sunburst View Post
    I really like how you did the splines under the headplate, well thought out, I typically do them through the underside of the neck, but like your option for any future ones where they want it invisibly repaired

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by mirwa View Post
    I really like how you did the splines under the headplate, well thought out, I typically do them through the underside of the neck, but like your option for any future ones where they want it invisibly repaired

Steve
    Not that this is something I would do myself, so I would leave it up to the person doing the work but, which would be stronger, if either? Just curiosity.

Thanks

Jerry Rosa's Rosa Strings Workshop YouTube channel has several episodes of really ugly break repairs, and it is amazing what can be done and how well it can be hidden. He has one where new wood goes pretty far down the neck.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

Quote Originally Posted by AndyV View Post
    Not that this is something I would do myself, so I would leave it up to the person doing the work but, which would be stronger, if either? Just curiosity.

Thanks
    Are we referring to splines, being external or internal.

In this scenario, the stronger version is the one with the splines on the outside, this is because the max strength derived from the long grain is at the area of max load, is it needed, that would be like comparing hide glue to alphatic glue, both exceed the strength needed to do the job, but reality is - hide glue is stronger than alphatic.

Steve

Yes, referring to splines top vs back.

Thanks.

Picked her up today and happy to have her home, but he strung it as an OM because he didn't have loop ends in heavier gauges. He'll do any necessary set up when I get mandocello strings.

Teacher, repair person

Glad you got it back and it is holding.

Whatever you do, I hope you will not use the off the shelf D'Addario mandocello set. See my earlier post in this thread on string gauges.

I haven't had any reason to really care about string tension before. Tone and feel have been the concern, achieved by trying heavier or lighter strings.
    When I have looked at the tension listed on a string pack, I've assumed that's the tension for each string - obviously it is in the case of single course.
    Now looking at D'Addario's Family Tension Chart the Total Set Tension tells me that the tension numbers on their packaging are for the combined tension of each course. Is that right?

Quote Originally Posted by sunburst View Post
    I've been in a similar situation before; the choice between repairing and replacing the neck running close to 50/50. I concluded that either way, the neck was "trashed" - now, or when the next repair was needed. So, having considered the neck "trashed", I concluded that it didn't matter how I repaired it as long as it was serviceable. I used epoxy and carbon fiber splines, then disguised the repair with new overlays. It looked pretty good when it was done, but the next time that thing breaks it probably won't be repairable, so the neck will likely be trashed.

(Here's the repair.)
    John, I just read this post for the first time. That is an incredible repair.
    Graham