Thread: Left hand/thumb position/technique

Default Left hand/thumb position/technique

I've viewed most of the online videos from MandoLessons, Laird, Compton, Martin, etc. and there seems to be no clear agreement on where the left thumb should be and, more importantly, where the pressure point of the back of the mandolin neck should be on the left hand. Coming from bass/guitar, I am struggling a bit keeping a consistent position when I'm playing. Especially when chop-chording, I find my left hand tending toward the full wrap, and I know that's not the most efficient way to play.

Watching video of lots of players has the thumb in a variety of positions - some wrapped around the top, some along the top edge, some straight along the back of the neck... some even shifting the position for chords vs. leads.

Curious what everyone here does. Where is your left thumb when you play? Does it stay there all the time? Where is the pressure point for the back of the neck in your left hand? Is it your thumb itself or another spot on your left palm?

This is referring to a right-handed player - reverse if you're a lefty...

2. The following members say thank you to Kevin Winn for this post:

Default Re: Left hand/thumb position/technique

This thread from last fall might be interesting for you to read. Everyone's hand is different.

The most important thing is to keep your hand as loose as possible. Having a death grip on the neck will cause all sorts of problems.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Louise NM For This Useful Post:

DOH!

Shoulda known there would already be a thread on this...

Thanks for the link, Louise!

A mandolin is basically a fretted fiddle held with a different position, so most of the left hand technique transfers over to what we do.

It's mentioned in the thread linked above, but check out this video from Mike Marshall. It's how I (and most people I know) hold the left hand, angled and with a small space between the web of the hand. Not locking the thumb behind the neck, like I used to do when I played only guitar:

I think the thumb needs to go where it needs when it needs to.

I follow what Mike Marshall says, that the hand position needs to do what it needs to in order to fret a chord properly. It may tend to be closer to a wrap on certain chords, but the general rules should still apply. You don't want the palm collapsed against the neck of the instrument, gripping it like a baseball bat. For melody, you will always want the straight wrist, open palm as that offers you the most range and speed. You want that gap between the thumb and the first finger as you hold it.

My thumb mainly rides along the top edge of the neck, ranging down a bit when I mainly play on the A and E strings. Within the last several months, I have been really working on the left hand position, and I find that keeping your first finger lightly anchored at the nut (moving it up the neck of course as you need to), with your fingers approaching the string at an angle is key. A lighter grip on the neck has allowed my thumb to move around a lot more, and I can see my callous starting to expand a bit towards the pad, instead of building up on the edge of my thumb.

How long have you been playing? I had this same question bugging me for the last couple years now, I am closing in on my 4th year with the instrument.
    Girouard Custom Studio A Oval
    P.W. Crump OM-III

Been playing about a year and a half, after about 35 years of guitar and bass. I find myself most often with the thumb as you described, but as I am playing some chop chords, I notice that it tends to get deeper into my grip. I have to consciously re-position my hand.

I have see the Marshall video referenced above, but I've seen video of lots of great players and their thumb positions vary widely, even while they're playing a single song.

Reading through responses here and the thread that Louise mentions from last Fall, there seems to be no 'correct' placement, but most seem to waver between the 45 degree angle or more toward parallel along the neck.

When I was retrained by my performing arts doctor after very bad overuse injuries in left hand and arm, she said to let the thumb go where it is most relaxed. I show this in the video I did of the left hand. Of course to do this, you need to be able to hold the instrument well first.

When playing melodies, the thumb is hardly used at all. If you are holding tension in it for melodies, you need to look at your use and find how to relax the excess tension. For chords you do need a bit more, especially barre chords. If anyone is interested I can go deeper into it than this.
    -----------
    Pete Martin
    www.PeteMartin.info
    Jazz and Bluegrass instruction books, videos, articles, transcriptions, improvisation, ergonomics, free recordings, private lessons

www.WoodAndStringsBand.com
    Jazz trio

www.AppleValleyWranglers.net
    Western Swing music

10. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Pete Martin For This Useful Post:

Stop the chop!
    Blog Entries

My approach to left hand technique is exatly the same on mandolin as on guitar. The basic rule being that the left hand is there to stop the strings, not to hold or support the instrument.

How exactly to secure the instrument in place depends on the body style. Use the points if the instrument has them, or a portion of the right forearm, or a strap. Let your left arm hang loosely on your side, fingers curled naturally, then bring your hand to the neck and let the thumb go where it lands. In my case it will land on the side of the neck, with about half of the outer joint above the fretboard - on the guitar it will land lower, owing to the wider neck. If I barre the thumb will slide in under the neck; if I go up the neck it will likely trail behind.

I don't force my thumb this way or that way because I can't. I have almost no control over my left thumb because one of two tendons (the one closer to the index finger) was torn in an accident.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Martin View Post
    When I was retrained by my performing arts doctor after very bad overuse injuries in left hand and arm, she said to let the thumb go where it is most relaxed. I show this in the video I did of the left hand. Of course to do this, you need to be able to hold the instrument well first.

When playing melodies, the thumb is hardly used at all. If you are holding tension in it for melodies, you need to look at your use and find how to relax the excess tension. For chords you do need a bit more, especially barre chords. If anyone is interested I can go deeper into it than this.
    I'm interested!

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

I never really conciously place my thumb, but it seems to be the same way on different neck shapes and sizes - you decide where it is.
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world