Thread: Moonlight

Default Moonlight

I was recently part of an old time jam where a tune entitled Moonlight was played by all. I came home and looked it up on various recording sources but struck out. Can anyone here point me to an album or performer who does this fiddle tune?
    Explore some of my published music here.

—Jim

Sierra F5 #30 (2005)
    Altman 2-point (2007)
    Portuguese fado cittern (1965)

Default Re: Moonlight

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Nollman View Post
    ... old time jam ... Moonlight ... Can anyone here point me to an album or performer who does this fiddle tune?
    There's a "Moonlight" oldtime fiddle tune played by Wallace Thompson recorded in Kentucky on March 30, 1974 (site requires JavaScript to display & play the audio). I'm limited to posting via phone "data" for the rest of the day so I can't get too carried away right now looking up high-bandwidth stuff like YouTube videos (if there are any), but maybe someone else knows of additional sources for this tune... assuming it's the right tune, that is.

Would it be Lonesome Moonlight Waltz?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKAQxZhvfUM

I found a "Moonlight" violin piece, but don't seem very old time!
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a vet.

Quote Originally Posted by JL277z View Post
    Also a spoken intro at this other link: Berea College digital library where he says the fiddle tune "Moonlight" is really really old and from Scotland as well... hmm...

A nice version by different musicians, Martin Fox & Jeff Winegar, fiddle and banjo:

(or direct link)

Other possible candidates:

"In The Moonlight", an original tune by Don Guillemette:

(or direct link)

Also "Misty Moonlight", an original tune by fiddler/violinist Mark O'Connor with Yo-Yo Ma. I wouldn't classify this particular performance as a "fiddle tune", but lots of stuff shows up at oldtime jams (I can imagine this one sped up a bit and played more like a dance tune), so who knows. Fast-forward to 0:48 to hear O'Connor's violin part.

(or direct link)

Well this next one does have a fiddle, likely not the right tune though - "Moonlight in Your Eyes" by Mojo and the Bayou Gypsies (forum only allows 3 embedded videos, thus the link).

Etc. Lots of different tunes and songs with "moonlight" in the title, including 1920s Carter Family, later Stanley Brothers, Bill Monroe as mentioned already by the previous poster, etc.

Jim, do any of these tunes so far sound like what you heard at the jam?

5. The following members say thank you to Jess L. for this post:

Lappy 

Many thanks, JL. Indeed, it is the Fox/Winegar tune. What got us all so jubilant was the syncopation in the B part.
    Explore some of my published music here.

—Jim

Sierra F5 #30 (2005)
    Altman 2-point (2007)
    Portuguese fado cittern (1965)

7. The following members say thank you to Jim Nollman for this post: