Thread: Anchient airs and dances suite #2 by Respigii

Default Anchient airs and dances suite #2 by Respigii

Is there mandolin music for this piece , seem like it would be a perfect piece for the mandolin
    steven shelton

Default Re: Anchient airs and dances suite #2 by Respigii

Great stuff. I see the full score (84 pages) on the imslp site, but it may not be downloadable in the US due to copyright. If you can get it, you and 28 friends can dive into the 29 instrumental parts. Have fun!

Well, the composer has also published the piece for piano four-hand, which may be a bit easier to extract mandolin parts from. It's on IMSLP, as is an arrangement of the final movement (Bergamasco) for violin, double bass and piano (!). The violin part of that one may work solo on mandolin, at least for a taste of the piece.

Then again, this is a 1924 piece based on four renaissance lute pieces -- those of course are public domain and available in more approachable settings:

"Fabrizio Carosio: Laura Soave; Balletto con Gagliarda, Saltarello e Canario (ca.1531)
    Jean-Baptiste Besard: Danza Rustica (ca.1617)
    Anonymous / Marin Mersenne: Campanæ Parisienses – Aria (ca.1600/1636)
    Bernardo Gianoncelli (detto “Il Bernardello„): Bergamasca (1650)
    "

The only one of these I know is the first -- I recorded Laura Soave a while ago together with the very similar Alta Carretta by Livio Lupi da Caravaggio (no relation):

Martin

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Martin Jonas For This Useful Post:

I don't have time to dig around now, but you could likely find editions of the original lute tablature at gerbode.net. It's an incredible resource for lute music. Of course, if you don't read lute tablature, it likely won't help much.

A similar piece is Capriole Suite by Peter Warlock (actual name Philip Heseltine) for strings; based on "ancient" (actually Renaissance, Arbeau's Orchesagraphie) dance tunes. Playable on mandolins, several versions including full orchestra, but also scored for strings (Vn 1&2, Vla, Cello, Bass). Short, not terribly difficult, and fun. I don't think it is Public Domain in USA, but you can check it out at IMSLP, and several recordings on youtube.