Thread: Old mandolin info

Default Old mandolin info

Here are some photos from a 1940 Gibson catalog. I thought you might enjoy them. The photography is less than stellar, but it is what it is.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	D27A5CF1-DD54-497E-858E-7427A202E2F9.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	462.4 KB 
ID:	169468   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	458D2DF5-A179-4D8A-95F9-64A1303BF472.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	511.3 KB 
ID:	169469   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5CACEDF4-A9E6-4513-AE41-0AFE6C68700B.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	656.5 KB 
ID:	169470  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2B3B4FB8-37F1-46B1-8C24-925C59BB201F.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	542.4 KB 
ID:	169471   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	809CA318-57C9-42E3-879C-696D31B53A4F.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	498.6 KB 
ID:	169472  
    Have a Great Day!
    Joe Vest

2. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Big Joe For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Old mandolin info

Joe, if you get a chance there is a social group for old advertisements. It would be great up there as well.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

I've been to Main, Spain, and Spokane, but I ain't never seen a Gibson violin.
    Must've shipped them East? I've never seen one in Elderly.
    So, how are/were they?

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to farmerjones For This Useful Post:

"It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

7. The following members say thank you to MikeEdgerton for this post:

I guy I used to work with has one, had one anyway, if I remember right, it was a V-50. Originally sold for, yep, $50!
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

The Gibson fiddles I’ve seen were ok. Not great, but decent. I like the 100 better than the 50
    "Mongo only pawn in game of life." --- Mongo

===========

As I recall, there have been a few threads about Gibson violins in the past - they seem to be more of a curiosity than an instrument for serious violinists. Even though my attempt at playing the violin was a serious disaster, if I found one kicking around at a good price, I might pick one up - just as an oddity.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Joe View Post
    Here are some photos from a 1940 Gibson catalog. I thought you might enjoy them. The photography is less than stellar, but it is what it is.
    Cool! Thanks.

The higher end models weren't exactly cheap even back then - your 2nd picture shows an F-5 at $250, which the CPI Inflation Calculator says is equivalent to $4,532 (US) in June 2018 dollars. Screenshot:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	price-gibson-f5-1940.png 
Views:	89 
Size:	41.7 KB 
ID:	169486

The case (apparently not included) cost an extra $42, which the inflation calculator claims is equivalent to approx. $761 now, just for the case alone.

So... mandolin $4,532 + case $761 = $5,293 for mandolin and case together.

The presumably low-end A-00 model shown in the OP's pic 5, listed at $30 in 1940, not including the case which cost $14 extra (purple flannel lining). So let's see here... 30+14 = 44 which the inflation calculator says is about $797 in June 2018 dollars for a low-end Gibson A-style mandolin and case together...

So is that somewhere in the range of the cost of a new mid-level Kentucky (or one of those other models that MandolinCafe people are always recommending to newbies)? I'm thinking that maybe things haven't changed that much after all, or maybe have even gotten cheaper nowadays for a similar level of quality. Credit (or blame, if one prefers) CNC machining I suppose, for customer-friendly low prices on decent-quality modern factory non-Gibson instruments?

Anyway at those kind of prices for Gibsons even back in 1940, one can surmise that there must have been a brisk demand for lesser brands at lower price points. Guess that explains all the Kays etc.

Although I have no idea what current *new* Gibson prices are, probably a lot more than that. But I'd surmise that a pretty good brand-new 2018 non-Gibson mandolin could be obtained (with case) for $5,293.

Quote Originally Posted by farmerjones View Post
    I've been to Main, Spain, and Spokane, but I ain't never seen a Gibson violin. ...
    Lol that's a clever little jingle take-off on one of the many commonly mispronounced names in Washington state. If tourists are in doubt, there's a convenient pronunciation quiz featuring some of the most troublesome names. Have to admit there's a couple of 'em I'd never even heard of, despite being a native Warshingtonian although I find it hard to imagine that anyone could possibly manage to mispronounce Ivar's.

Anyway, I too had been unaware that Gibson made fiddles, learn something new every day.

Thanks again to the OP for posting the pics, and to others for the additional info!

Quote Originally Posted by JL277z View Post
    Lol that's a clever little jingle take-off on one of the many commonly mispronounced names in Washington state.
    Can't take credit. That's a line from a very old, Mark Twain-esk, inappropriate sort of boast/toast/poem.
    As I typed this I also Googled the phrase. You may also, if curious.

13. The following members say thank you to farmerjones for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by farmerjones View Post
    Can't take credit. That's a line from a very old, Mark Twain-esk, inappropriate sort of boast/toast/poem.
    As I typed this I also Googled the phrase. You may also, if curious.
    Lol I see what you mean, there's quite a variety of 'em!

I have heard of that saying from a friend (long passed) from upstate NY). Except he used slightly more "colorful" language.

Thanks farmerjones, it brought back good memories of my friend.
    I can only play half as much as I want, because I only play half as much as I would like.