Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tenor Guitar tuned to GDAE, is it worth it?

Default Tenor Guitar tuned to GDAE, is it worth it?

I am trying to decide on picking up a Pono tenor guitar bodied OM or an actual tenor guitar tuned like an OM. I know this is highly subjective, but what are the pros and cons of a tenor tuned to gdae? For reference, I play rhythm with a ukulele player so I need an instrument that isn't muddy sounding with chords as that is primarily what it will be used for.

Thanks for your advice.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Em Tee For This Useful Post:

Guernsey... small island just off the coast of France

Default Re: Tenor Guitar tuned to GDAE, is it worth it?

I don’t have any statistics but it seems to me GDAE is the more popular tuning...in recent years anyway.
    I also think that a lots of folk change the tuning around, pretty simple to do with only four strings.

4. The following members say thank you to fox for this post:

Standard tenor tuning is CGDA, though so-called Chicago tuning, DGBE seems to be gaining popularity as six string players don't have to adjust so much.

Sorry I can't answer your question.

What about tuning four strings of a six string, capo'd to scale and tuned GDAE? Play with your uke friend and see what you think.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AndyV For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Em Tee View Post
    ... what are the pros and cons of a tenor tuned to gdae? For reference, I play rhythm with a ukulele player so I need an instrument that isn't muddy sounding with chords as that is primarily what it will be used for. ...
    Please pardon me for being dense, but I guess I'm curious as to why use a GDAE tenor guitar just to play chords on. Aren't regular guitars (or a tenor in guitar tuning) more suited to chord work on long scale instruments, or is that just a popular misconception I've acquired somehow?

Seems to me the great advantage to GDAE tuning (particularly for long-neck instruments) is for single-note harmony stuff and/or melody - (IMO) that's where GDAE really shines, and it lets you do stuff easily that would (IMO) be difficult in some other tuning. Flatpicking fiddle tunes in GDAE, super easy because that's the tuning that those tunes evolved on and/or were designed for, no awkward string crossings or other nuisances. But full chords on GDAE long scale instruments such as tenor guitar, I just don't see the "why" of it... it's going to end up sounding about the same as a regular guitar anyway, isn't it?

That said, every instrument I have here is tuned in 5ths (except the 5-string banjo), I have no standard tuned guitars whatsoever, but in my case I don't play full chords anyway because I have too much arthritis to fret more than a couple of strings at once... so the best I can do is double-stops (and simple arpeggios etc) which work great on GDAE instruments.

Also, isn't your uke player pretty much already covering the rhythm section without the tenor guitar? Or is the desire to add a tenor guitar because of wanting to obtain more volume in the rhythm section by duplicating the uke player's chord-playing role? If so, maybe a guitar-tuned baritone uke would work just as well, they're arguably more 'designed' for chord work (and usually at a lower cost as well, which can be a nice bonus).

8. The following members say thank you to Jess L. for this post:

FWIW I'm experimenting with a baritone uke tuned GDAE, which is close to what you are after but with nylon strings of course. Chords are really muddy, though of course steel strings would give a bit more sparkle.

For rhythm supporting a uke player (which is what I am primarily) I'd prefer a tenor guitar in GDBE. That gives nice, full chords without infringing on the uke's tonal space (unless you go up the neck). I also have a tenor banjo in CGDA, and that works less well with uke if you play chords - the high notes are up in the uke's space, and the low C string is a bit thuddy.

10. The following members say thank you to ProfChris for this post:

Em Tee 

knows little

Quote Originally Posted by JL277z View Post
    Seems to me the great advantage to GDAE tuning (particularly for long-neck instruments) is for single-note harmony stuff and/or melody - (IMO) that's where GDAE really shines, and it lets you do stuff easily that would (IMO) be difficult in some other tuning. Flatpicking fiddle tunes in GDAE, super easy because that's the tuning that those tunes evolved on and/or were designed for, no awkward string crossings or other nuisances. But full chords on GDAE long scale instruments such as tenor guitar, I just don't see the "why" of it... it's going to end up sounding about the same as a regular guitar anyway, isn't it?
    Could be that OP is not familiar with standard guitar tuning or the 'Chicago' subset that turns a fifths instrument into a big bright 'ukulele. OM tuning is G2 D3 A3 E4; tenor tuning is C3 G3 D4 A4, a fifth higher and thus brighter. IMHO any instrument can be made to sound muddy if strung clumsily and some axes sound muddy almost no matter how they're strung, like my cheap Soviet mando.

I agree that fifths instruments are great for melodic work. A standard guitar needs two extra strings for two extra notes. Many basic chords can be formed on four strings; many more chords are easier on six strings tuned fourths-and-a-third. But I often tune GDAD on mandolin or CGAG on mandola for chords+melody work difficult or impossible or dumb on an EADGBE guitar. If OP is facile with tenor chords in his favored playing then brightness vs depth drives the CGDA vs GDAE decision

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hypoxia For This Useful Post:

I don't know how to play guitar. lol And yes, I prefer GDAE because CGDA is a brighter tone than I am looking for. Thanks for the helpful responses!

In regards to accompanying the uke player, she picks lead. She wants me to play with her but I play mando instruments/instruments tuned in 5ths. I don't want to have to learn a whole new instrument/tuning as I have only been playing the mandolin and octave mandolin for a year as it is. Hope this clarifies some things.

... In regards to accompanying the uke player, she picks lead. ...
    Oh ok I see, I was confused, I somehow thought you were both playing rhythm. My bad, sorry!

I don't know how to play guitar. ... I play mando instruments/instruments tuned in 5ths. I don't want to have to learn a whole new instrument/tuning ...
    Got it. I'm the same way.

15. The following members say thank you to Jess L. for this post:

Em Tee 

I believe GDAD is another one gaining popularity - a bit of a droning affect which can be useful for rhythm work. There is a series of tenor guitar videos on Youtube with this tuning. I forget the players name off hand, sorry. Nonetheless, I think the variation of tunings are quite plentiful.

17. The following members say thank you to bsfloyd for this post:

Em Tee 

To do tunings like gdae or gdad will I need to reinforce the bridge? File the nut? Can I just swap out the strings and call it a day?

I love tenor guitars, and have some information about how to get a tenor guitar set up for GDAD/GDAE, and a few lessons on GDAD on my website: http://www.tenorguitarlessons.com/ge...-tenor-guitar/

I love tenor guitars for their warmth and ability to strum like a six string guitar, while I love OMs for their "gutsy-er" sound, a little more punchy, but don't hold up as well to strumming guitar style (though cross picking sounds great).

Thanks,
    Baron
    MandoLessons: Free Online Mandolin Lessons
    Velocipede: My Fiddle Tune Duo
    Old Time Mandolin: Solo Old Time Mandolin Album

20. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Baron Collins-Hill For This Useful Post:

Sorry Baron - your name was the name I was trying to remember in my post above. I enjoy your videos!

22. The following members say thank you to bsfloyd for this post:

To do tunings like gdae or gdad will I need to reinforce the bridge? File the nut? Can I just swap out the strings and call it a day?
    In most cases, you should be good to go with string swapping. I see no need to reinforce the bridge. Depending on the gage of strings you use, little to no nut work may be needed.

24. The following members say thank you to bsfloyd for this post:

Em Tee 

Quote Originally Posted by bsfloyd View Post
    Sorry Baron - your name was the name I was trying to remember in my post above. I enjoy your videos!
    No problem! I am honored!

Thanks,
    Baron
    MandoLessons: Free Online Mandolin Lessons
    Velocipede: My Fiddle Tune Duo
    Old Time Mandolin: Solo Old Time Mandolin Album

, I prefer GDAE because CGDA is a brighter tone than I am looking for. .
    ????

CGDA is a lower tuning than GDAE. I don't get how it can sound "brighter"?

Quote Originally Posted by jesserules View Post
    ????

CGDA is a lower tuning than GDAE. I don't get how it can sound "brighter"?
    octave tuning so gdae down an octave

Hi Em Tee,
    It's also going to depend on the scale length of the tenor as to how it will "take" to GDAE. I think the longer scaled instruments tend to sound warmer. Anyway, strings are cheap, why not just get the gauges correct for the Pono's scale length & give it a try?

My Harmony 1201T (23" scale) has never been in CGDA, and sounds great to me. I've been playing lots lately in GDAD, thanks to Baron's advice, and doubling the rhythm with mandola. And I never play full chords on either, I love the droney sound of the open strings ringing with the fretted notes, and full chords tend to sound muddy.

I just posted this to the Newbies Forum, which uses GDAD tenor & normal mandola as the rhythm bed (post 41). It will give you an idea of what mine sounds like behind a melody instrument. Pardon the singing! HTH.

29. The following members say thank you to bbcee for this post:

Em Tee 

I was thinking of picking up an Ibanez AVT1. I like the size and sound of them. Not sure what their scale length is though. I've got a belly on me and am fairly short. I think that the larger Blueridge will provide some logistical difficulties. Ah, well, it takes all kinds, right?

I love tenor guitar tuned GDAE. It’s my primary instrument. While I mostly play fiddle tunes, chords also sound great on mine. It’s a 21.25” scale, one of Herb Taylor’s. I had one tuned CGDA, but I never played it. The Blueridge tenor sounds good in GDAE. It’s not a large guitar so I doubt you’ll have a problem with one.

I've got a number of 4 and 5 string tenors, and tune them all to either GDAE or FCGD (or FCGDA). I think they all sound better in the lower register as compared to CGDA.

I was thinking of picking up an Ibanez AVT1. I like the size and sound of them. Not sure what their scale length is though. I've got a belly on me and am fairly short. I think that the larger Blueridge will provide some logistical difficulties. Ah, well, it takes all kinds, right?
    A quick Google search indicates the Ibanez scale length is 22.84", so basically the same as the Blueridge.

It's not the scale length but the size of the body. Blueridge appears much larger than the ibanez but I am going by videos and photos so who knows?

If the Ibanez body is a lot smaller than the Blueridge I’d be cautious about buying it to tune down to GDAE. It may not handle it well, particularly the G string. i had a Kala that I thought sounded great tuned CGDA, but it did not sound good in GDAE.

36. The following members say thank you to bruce.b for this post:

Em Tee 

I also am primarily a tenor player, have guitars strung both CGDA (smaller bodied, shorter scale) and GDAE (the bigger boys). When playing with others I almost always prefer GDAE,,, For couch picking I love the little ones.

When at a celtic session I sometimes tune GDAD thanks to Baron's terrific videos at http://www.tenorguitarlessons.com/ge...-tenor-guitar/ Old time jams seem to work better in GDAE, YMMV

38. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dburtnett For This Useful Post:

Thanks for all the advice. Y'all have been very helpful. I am gonna go with the blueridge!

40. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Em Tee For This Useful Post:

foxs11141827