Thread: Punch Brothers new Album

Default Punch Brothers new Album

So, I had the pleasure of seeing the Punch Brothers last night in Atlanta. It's been a few years since I've had the pleasure of seeing them live, and I was absolutely blown away. Despite the fact I've seen them perform, and am aware of the musicianship that they display-- well... all of that gets erased once they begin playing. To keep this a mandolin related topic-- Thile is otherworldly. The level of technique that he displays is incredible. All this to say, I highly recommend to anyone slightly interested in their music or in Thile's mandolin playing to go see them. This album was produced by the Punch Brothers themselves, and I think the arrangements are some of the best they've had in a long time overall.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MandoManCaleb For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Punch Brothers new Album

I have tickets to see them in Boston in a week and a half! Very excited. I've never seen them play live.

I took a "non-mandolin" friend to see them a few years back who often criticises musicians for self-indulgent fret fiddling (though fiddling isn't the word he uses ).
    He was completely won over by them and I've been able to feed other acoustic music to him as a result.
    Even if their music isn't exactly what you're about, it's worth checking them out live, the reality of their musicianship hits you like a freight train.

Where in Atlanta were they performing? My son is chief sound engineer for Cobb Energy Performing Arts Center.

Quote Originally Posted by Darren Bailey View Post
    I took a "non-mandolin" friend to see them a few years back who often criticises musicians for self-indulgent fret fiddling (though fiddling isn't the word he uses ).
    He was completely won over by them and I've been able to feed other acoustic music to him as a result.
    Even if their music isn't exactly what you're about, it's worth checking them out live, the reality of their musicianship hits you like a freight train.
    The musicianship is undeniable. My dad went with me, and we were discussing that after the show. They clearly have a lot of appeal to musicians, but even members of the audience with no knowledge of music can realize that they are seeing musicians that are a cut above even some of the more talented acts in the country. The fact that they are able to arrange music that complex, keep a large enough setlist of material to play nearly every night, and make it also "listenable" is an incredible feat.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by dorenac View Post
    Where in Atlanta were they performing? My son is chief sound engineer for Cobb Energy Performing Arts Center.
    They were at The Tabernacle downtown. It's right next to the ferris wheel.

Seeing them Friday at The Ryman. Can't wait!

Speaking of the complexity of their music, one of the most impressive musical feats I've ever seen occurred when I saw them this past summer. Their fiddle player, Gabe Witcher, his wife had just had a child and he was at home with her. Alex Hargreaves, with just two days notice, flawlessly played their entire set. It was amazing, and you could tell that even the other guys in the band were highly impressed.
    1918 Gibson F4
    2016 Northfield NF-5S
    2017 Black Guitar Bodied Octave Mandolin #42

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Harris View Post

Speaking of the complexity of their music, one of the most impressive musical feats I've ever seen occurred when I saw them this past summer. Their fiddle player, Gabe Witcher, his wife had just had a child and he was at home with her. Alex Hargreaves, with just two days notice, flawlessly played their entire set. It was amazing, and you could tell that even the other guys in the band were highly impressed.
    Alex Hargreaves is indeed great on the fiddle! Love the stuff he does with Jake Joliff.

Going to see them in a week in Boston. Can’t wait, it’s been a few years since I’ve seen them live!!
    “Without music, life would be a mistake” Neitzsche

Collings MF5-V
    Kimble A5
    An electric rig with an envelope filter trying to sound like Jerry...

I was lucky enough to have scored the front center seat at their tour kickoff concert in Charleston at the Gaillard, a serious upgrade from their usual Charleston Music Hall venue. Very, very tight performance as usual, with a set list that I was not expecting outside of the debut of the new album tunes.

Attended a Q&A beforehand and was able to ask for and get some great insight into how they build a tune, from the rhythm on up, starting with just a cool riff. They were even able to demonstrate earlier versions of a song in comparison with the final result. Total pros who take their job seriously.

As for the concert itself, what struck me from my advantaged position (and it's a lesson I hope to absorb and use) was how well each player listens to what his bandmates are doing. Adapting to each idiosyncrasy of live playing yes, but every solo was obviously an attempt to do something new the others haven't heard and the audience gets to enjoy the ride.

C.
    Northfield F5S Amber #347 - 'Squeeze'
    Mann EM-5 Hollow Body - Gimme Moore
    Kentucky KM-270 - Not just for whisky
    Flatiron 1N Pancake - Not just for breakfast
    Epiphone Mandobird IV - Djangly
    Cozart 8-string e-mando - El Ch(e)apo
    Lanikai LB6-S Banjolele (tuned GDAE) - Plinky and the Brane

Huge Thile fan and the rest of the group is enormously talented but.....this album isn't catching my ear. Probably my least favorite Punch Brothers release. Too ethereal and esoteric. YMMV.....

Oval holes are cool David Lewis's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sgarrity View Post
    Huge Thile fan and the rest of the group is enormously talented but.....this album isn't catching my ear. Probably my least favorite Punch Brothers release. Too ethereal and esoteric. YMMV.....
    I’m a bit the same. The good points: it seems to me Noam pikelny has a larger creative input. The playing is superb. There are some strong compositions.

The less good points: there’s a lack of polish - not in the playing but in the songs themselves. It’s very hard to follow up phosphorescent blues - that is an album for the ages. This one to me seems to be a threat clearer while they regroup a bit.

It’s still an excellent album. But it lacks a bit of fire to me. I hope they tour to Australia. They are the best sounding act I’ve ever heard. Five guys round a condenser microphone.

I’d give it 7/10.

Punch brothers are that rare band which even their weakest stuff is still head and shoulders above anyone else. So I like the album and they’re a band I’ll always follow closely.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Daniels View Post
    I was lucky enough to have scored the front center seat at their tour kickoff concert in Charleston at the Gaillard, a serious upgrade from their usual Charleston Music Hall venue. Very, very tight performance as usual, with a set list that I was not expecting outside of the debut of the new album tunes.

Attended a Q&A beforehand and was able to ask for and get some great insight into how they build a tune, from the rhythm on up, starting with just a cool riff. They were even able to demonstrate earlier versions of a song in comparison with the final result. Total pros who take their job seriously.

As for the concert itself, what struck me from my advantaged position (and it's a lesson I hope to absorb and use) was how well each player listens to what his bandmates are doing. Adapting to each idiosyncrasy of live playing yes, but every solo was obviously an attempt to do something new the others haven't heard and the audience gets to enjoy the ride.

C.
    I was lucky enough to also attend the q&a session in Boston this past Wednesday night. Someone asked “what is the first thing a young/new musician should learn?”. Three of them said “how to listen” almost simultaneously. Your quote suggests they are walking the walk (and I agree 100%).

Chris
    “Without music, life would be a mistake” Neitzsche

Collings MF5-V
    Kimble A5
    An electric rig with an envelope filter trying to sound like Jerry...

Having now listened through about a half dozen times I'd say overall I'd give it a B+. There a couple songs that are fine and a handful that I think are great. I think that if John Hartford were still around and he wrote a song commenting on politics it would be Jumbo. The two instrumentals are awesome and that crazy fiddle stuff on Just Look At This Mess is great (as is all the rest of the musicianship, obviously). Thile seems to be really pushing his vocal range on this album as well. One weird thing about the production is the that you can really hear the mic hiss at the start and end of songs. It must have been a conscious decision as in the studio they could have avoided it. Maybe it was to give it a more natural/organic/live(?) feel, which I think it does. Thinking about it more maybe I'd bump it to an A-. As stated already, it's not Phosphorescent Blues but that album is an A+.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Harris View Post

Was lucky enough to meet Sarah Jarosz a few years back and while I chatted to her Alex was a real gentleman keeping my wife busy - otherwise I'd have heard the tap of her foot. Great player.