Thread: Nut glue?

Default Nut glue?

I was taking the strings off my new Eastwood Mandocaster to change the pickups (which will be another thread). Once I got some of the strings loose, the nut jerked to the side as it broke free of whatever minimal glue was holding it there.

Trying to string it back up is not going too well for the same reason. I can't really balance the tension to keep the nut stationary. What's the proper type of glue to use here? Nut seems plastic, corresponding area of neck is unfinished wood.

Default Re: Nut glue?

I usually find a couple of drops of Titebond Original does the job nicely. There does have to be a bit of glue, as you discovered, but the reason the glue is minimal is so as to facilitate nut removal. That way, if the nut needs to be worked on off the instrument, shimmer, or replaced, the job is made much easier.
    Don

2016 Weber Custom Bitterroot F
    2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

3. The following members say thank you to multidon for this post:

If the nut goes into a slot in fingerboard, you can wedge some paper in there to keep it in place, if you ever need to move it up or sideways I prefer that. Otherwise (most mandolins) if it just sits on end of fretboard, a small amount Elmers glue, no strong glues otherwise you're likely to break the nut while breaking the seal..
    Kentucky km900
    Yamaha piano, clarinet, violin; generic cello;
    a pedal steel (highly recommended); banjo, dobro don't get played much cause i'm considerate ;}

Shopping/monitoring prices: vibraphone/marimbas, rhodes, synths, Yamaha brass and double reeds

5. The following members say thank you to gtani7 for this post:

I use a toothpick and put a few drops of glue on the bottom and end of fingerboard, just enough to hold it on when there are not strings. You can put one string, or more tighten them up evenly to keep the nut centered. Let it cure before stringing it up for at least a couple hours.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

7. The following members say thank you to pops1 for this post:

Glue only to the end of the fingerboard. I use two or three small dots of titebond.
    If we glue the bottom of the nut to the neck wood, we risk wood loss with subsequent nut removal. I've seen necks where the nut slot was cut deep into the neck by people trying to get a good surface to support the nut. They got that way because people repeatedly glued nuts securely to the bottom of the slot and later wood chips were removed along with the nut. While I'm at it, this is a good time to complain once again about people who seem to think the nut must be thoroughly glued and locked in place as if there was some serious force trying to remove it from it's place! The is no such force! Sometimes I have to destroy a nut just to remove it without doing undue damage to the neck, and sometimes damage is unavoidable.
    The nut just needs a little touch of glue between it and the end of the fingerboard, that's all. If the nut fits into a slot, and the fit is snug (not tight), we can get by without glue, but a couple of drops is generally a good idea.

9. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to sunburst For This Useful Post:

I meant to say “shimmed” not “shimmer”, it’s that darned auto correct again!

John’s advice about glueing to the fretboard is good. Unfortunately something I had to learn the hard way. As I learn most things it seems.
    Don

2016 Weber Custom Bitterroot F
    2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

Good advice above about how to glue the nut. I usually don't glue them. A little tightening of a D string and an A string will hold it in place. Check as you get everything up to pitch and push the nut to center it. Remember that you may need to take it off some day, and wood tear out may result if there is much glue. I recommend just a drop of Elmers school glue. It holds but breaks loose easily if needed.
    Tom

"Feel the wood."
    Luthier Page: Facebook

12. The following members say thank you to Tom Haywood for this post:

If I'm not mistaken, classical guitar nuts are not glued in. I use minimal wood glue, just a drop or two.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

I tried a dab of Elmer's glue there and let it sit for an hour before tightening the strings. Didn't help. I finally got it tuned up but had to go one string at a time and adjusted the nut horizontally when it slipped out. I've owned dozens of instruments over 35 years and this is the first one where the nut just falls out without string tension on it. I suppose I can live with it as long as I just change strings 1 at a time.
    Last edited by Digital Larry; Jul-15-2018 at 4:15pm.

I had one mandolin that would throw the nut, kind of like you described. It had a bone nut and once threw it all the way across the shop and it was lost for a couple of days. Frustrating because I didn't want to make another nut. It happened recently with a '69 Gibson J 200 guitar. I don't know why some individual instruments will do that. I still don't like to glue them because I have seen bits of wood chip off in different places, sometimes at the end of the slot where it is noticeable.
    Tom

"Feel the wood."
    Luthier Page: Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Digital Larry View Post
    I tried a dab of Elmer's glue there and let it sit for an hour before tightening the strings. Didn't help. I finally got it tuned up but had to go one string at a time and adjusted the nut horizontally when it slipped out. I've owned dozens of instruments over 35 years and this is the first one where the nut just falls out without string tension on it. I suppose I can live with it as long as I just change strings 1 at a time.
    I always change strings one at a time. I don't feel is it good to take all the tension off an instrument every time you change the strings.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Pops1 - I usually change strings one at a time as you do,but ocassionally,i'll remove all the strings to give my mandolins a clean up. That usually takes all of about 10 minutes, & i've never had a single problem with any of the 3. I could understand a mandolin ''relaxing'' if it were left un-strung for long periods,but for 10 minutes - no problem. In fact my Weber "Fern" is due for a clean up & re-string as soon as i can get our 2 cats off our bed / workbench !.

Re. nut glue - I've found that using normal clear nail varnish will glue a nut in place easily enough. I always applied it to the base of the nut,inserted the nut, & left it to dry. It's strong eough to keep a nut in place,but weak enough to break if you give the end of the nut a slight tap with a small hammer & nail punch,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

A hairline of CA at the bottom, peghead side of the nut, is the way I snug fit nuts -- remember to let the CA cure ! ---eventually tape off the bottom - final fitting can be done with a scraper. -- no glue on the wood , my preference
    Jens

Well, to avoid mishaps-- at the bottom on the peghead side --- not the bottom of the nut
    Jens