Thread: Grisman's New Trio

Default Grisman's New Trio

Saw the new Grisman Trio @ SF Jazz last night with Danny Barnes and Sam Gisman. He talked about going into the studio soon, this was only their 3rd gig. David featured almost a dozen new tunes, and reworked a few others, seems he has discovered a new way of writing and has had a very prolific streak. He was playing his OAITW Fern and played everything from very sensitive tremelo waltzes to jazzy blues, to high powered Dawg style jazz and a few BG tunes. Sam Grisman has become a monster bass player getting numerous chances to solo, and Danny Barnes played both archtop guitar and banjo to great effect, as well as sing two of his BG originals. Sam Grisman sang Jack-a-Row that Jerry Garcia used to play with the Dead, and he recorded it with Grisman on Shady Grove. The crowd loved that one & Grisman joked how the applause was more than all the other tunes that HE wrote. Very interactive crowd with people shouting out questions and David jokingly answering. Barnes did a lot of unison playing with David when they brought it back to the head, incredibly tight twin slides in one tune. Danny has really learned how to play these new tunes, I guess they practice around David's kitchen table, they are neighbors. Nice to see a re-flowering of David's creative juices. Dawg music is alive & well, his chops were incredible, new tunes were classic Dawg but new & different. Dominic Leslie played some great dual mando things on the encore. He has really taken it up a notch. Phobe Hunt & the Gatherers are at Sonoma State this weekend opening for Ricky Skaggs. So he was here in the Bay Area. They are playing the Portland Zoo tonight with Jerry Douglas and Bela Fleck. Check them out when you can......... GREAT music!

2. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to SternART For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Default Re: Grisman's New Trio

I was at the first 2 shows these guys played together at Wintergrass. Good stuff. I guess it was put together quickly to fill the gap left by Peter Rowan's illness. I agree wholeheartedly that this line-up is special. Bummed we couldn't pull off the Portland Zoo show tonight... at least Barnes and Sam are playing some sets together at String Summit next week.

4. The following members say thank you to Willem for this post:

Yes, those were indeed the first two performances, I heard about that. Peter Rowan must be feeling better, he is a special guest with Sam bush @ SF Jazz tomorrow night. Speaking of Rowan...... as performed last night Grisman reworked the tune "Daniel Boone" from the Sam & Dave CD. Last night it went into a vocal interlude with some of the lyrics from OAITW's tune, "Land Of The Navajo" written by Peter Rowan. Pretty cool!

I am glad Mr. Rowan is back on his feet. I am definitely a fan starting with OAITW! Not much he or Grisman have done that I don't enjoy. Sounds like a great mash up of tunes. This current Trio just announced some Fall shows including Eugene, Or. Won't be missing that one!

Blog Entries

Thanks Art!
    That's a nice review for those of us who long to be (musically) back in the Bay Area again!

I hope you are well!
    Daniel

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Daniel Nestlerode For This Useful Post:

Full Grown and Cussin' brunello97's Avatar

Danny Barnes with the Dawg? Muy coolioso. I remember DB well from way back in the old Bad Livers days.

I hope to catch some of this in some form or the other.

Mick
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road
    '06 Bialetti expresso maker
    '14 Irish Linen Ramon Puig

10. The following members say thank you to brunello97 for this post:

We have second row, center seats for their show here at the MIM, in September. First time seeing Dawg live. From what is being written, it should be somethin' else!

Good for you, great seats it will be an up close visual mando lesson for you.
    Where is MIM?

13. The following members say thank you to SternART for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by SternART View Post
    Good for you, great seats it will be an up close visual mando lesson for you.
    Where is MIM?
    Most certainly looking forward to it.

The MIM is the new Musical Instrument Museum, in North Phoenix. They have a 250 seat theater that is, arguably, the best sounding room in the surrounding area. We've been to a few shows and would agree with that.

Based on your review you say he isn't playing Crusher... Bummed! Still will be a great evening!

<<Based on your review you say he isn't playing Crusher... Bummed! Still will be a great evening![/QUOTE]>>

That doesn't mean he won't play Crusher in Phoenix. David has quite a few special instruments. I hadn't seen him play his Fern in a few years. It was his main instrument back when he started the DGQ. It was what he played before the DGQ in Old and in the Way too. There is a DGQ reunion at Rockygrass later this month on the 27th with Mike Marshall, Darol Anger, Todd Phillips, and Wyatt Rice playing for Tony. And then the next night David and Peter Rowan are playing "Old & In The Way" with Sam Bush, Keith Little & Samson Grisman. I'm thinking he got out his Fern to break it in for these reunion gigs. Boy I wish I could be at Rockygrass for this!!! I was lucky to have seen a DGQ 25th Reunion Concert at Wintergrass in 2001 where they played the first DGQ album in order with a few other tunes. David broke out the Fern for that reunion which makes me think it is why he was playing it at SF Jazz. To wake it up for these reunion gigs, this adds some authenticity and BTW it sounded GREAT in his hands the other night. That 25th reunion was recorded and is available for download on David's download site: acousticoasis.com in the live vault. Tony Rice was still playing back in 2001. Darn.......wish I could be at Rockygrass this year. Those two sets will be AWESOME!!!

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SternART For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by SternART View Post
    That doesn't mean he won't play Crusher in Phoenix. David has quite a few special instruments. I hadn't seen him play his Fern in a few years. It was his main instrument back when he started the DGQ. It was what he played before the DGQ in Old and in the Way too. There is a DGQ reunion at Rockygrass later this month on the 27th with Mike Marshall, Darol Anger, Todd Phillips, and Wyatt Rice playing for Tony. And then the next night David and Peter Rowan are playing "Old & In The Way" with Sam Bush, Keith Little & Samson Grisman. I'm thinking he got out his Fern to break it in for these reunion gigs. Boy I wish I could be at Rockygrass for this!!! I was lucky to have seen a DGQ 25th Reunion Concert at Wintergrass in 2001 where they played the first DGQ album in order with a few other tunes. David broke out the Fern for that reunion which makes me think it is why he was playing it at SF Jazz. To wake it up for these reunion gigs, this adds some authenticity and BTW it sounded GREAT in his hands the other night. That 25th reunion was recorded and is available for download on David's download site: acousticoasis.com in the live vault. Tony Rice was still playing back in 2001. Darn.......wish I could be at Rockygrass this year. Those two sets will be AWESOME!!!
    That is a great recording! I'm going to Rockygrass and I'm super excited for both of those sets! Our band has a gig in Boulder on Friday night, so I hope it doesn't conflict with DGQ at RG. If it does, I guess I'll be missing my band's gig.

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_al View Post
    That is a great recording! I'm going to Rockygrass and I'm super excited for both of those sets! Our band has a gig in Boulder on Friday night, so I hope it doesn't conflict with DGQ at RG. If it does, I guess I'll be missing my band's gig.
    Looks like the DGQ Reunion will play from 7 - 8:30 Friday nite, followed by Sam Bush

19. The following members say thank you to SternART for this post:

The MIM show(s) were this past Saturday. It was a treat to see them.

Aside from the obvious highlights seen; Danny Barnes played a 1935 Gibson L5 Archtop (predecessor to the Super 400), no P/U, just the mic. Sounded really, really nice. Of course, his buttery style of playing had something to do with that!

I was SOOO tempted to buy tix for the second show.

21. The following members say thank you to Gerry Cassidy for this post:

Saw the trio at Four Corners Festival in Pagosa Springs, CO on Sunday night and it was mighty fine!

Didn't know anything about Danny Barnes but I am now a fan. What a great show.

I have seen the Dawg many times but can't remember him ever being so cheery and engaged with the crowd.

Sam Bush sat in on Daniel Boone and a few others.
    willi

23. The following members say thank you to mandowilli for this post:

Blog Entries

I'm going to see The Trio in like 2 weeks in Cherry Creek New York, pretty close to home about 30-40 min. drive so well worth going anytime one can see David and whatever band he's playing with at the time, it'll be spectacular also Skaggs is playing, Gibson Bros. not really sure who else? So if anyone lives close it should be a GREAT fun festival, as long as it's not a monsoon or a terrible heat wave of high humidity like we've been getting around here lately! Any Café folks going let me know so we can meet up?

I found a couple seats close to the stage for the Dawg Trio at Pagosa. While there were a lot of excellent bands there, this set was worth the entire price of admission. I was very impressed with the musicality of Danny Barnes, and Sam Grisman grooves on the bass. The Dawg's playing is better than ever, and the fern sounded amazing. I got one pic when Sam came out to play a couple. It was a real treat to hear Hoss through a microphone against the fern.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1566.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	462.8 KB 
ID:	170828

Catch the Dawg Trio if you can. Such fine music.
    2010 Heiden A5, 2020 Pomeroy oval A, 2013 Kentucky KM1000 F5, 2012 Girouard A Mandola w ff holes, 2001 Old Wave A oval octave
    http://HillbillyChamberMusic.bandcamp.com
    Videos: https://www.youtube.com/@hillbillychambermusic

Blog Entries

So any Café folk going to the Cherry Creek NY fest???? If so message me and we can meet up!!! It'll be great Dawg, Skaggs, Gibson Bros.. etc... Hopefully some decent jamming in the lot?