Thread: Neck block/ Fretboard extension support

Default Neck block/ Fretboard extension support

What is the best way to carve the excess wood out of this area?You know, the part that gracefully curves down to just over the top? How do you get both sides to match?

I was thinking to rough it out with chisels and wrapping sandpaper around a dowel.

Fingerboard glued on first or after?
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

Default Re: Neck block/ Fretboard extension support

I was thinking about soliciting ideas on this as well, but wanted to know how others shape the entire piece. I have my methods, but I'm never happy with the process - it turns out fine, but there's got to be an easier way.. This seems like a good thread to solicit those ideas.

Anyway, shaping the side of the fretboard extender, I start the process before the fretboard is glued on. I use a 5/8" (maybe 1/2" I dunno for sure) dowel with sandpaper glued to it. Works very well. Just keep in level when sanding and keep an eye on the lower side where they taper down to the top. if not careful you can sand right through to the top!

After the fretboard is glued on, I have just a hair left to do. I use a small dowel and work that area against the fretboard side just a bit and it fades it in very well.

With what I know now, $4000 for an F style mandolin seems like a real bargain.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

I use a Dremel 1/2 diameter sanding drum on a flex shaft (or flex shaft attachment if you have that) so I can get in parallel. I also have a foot switch so I can control the speed. I do most of the sanding before the fretboard goes on. I use a heavy grit to start and then a fine grit. I then finish up with a dowel and sandpaper after the fretboard is glued.
    Rob

I shape mine and make sure it fits correctly. I shape the area on the side by using a sanding drum in a dremel tool. After it is glued and the fretboard plane leveled. I finish sanding with sandpaper wrapper around a dowel. That's how CE Ward did it so that show i do it.

I use an incannel gouge followed by small sanding spindles just stroked by hand, followed by sandpaper. I usually do the work after installing the fingerboard.
    Some pics from the mandocello thread:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	extender.hollow.jpg 
Views:	133 
Size:	96.5 KB 
ID:	169433Click image for larger version. 

Name:	extender.hollow2.jpg 
Views:	172 
Size:	97.3 KB 
ID:	169434Click image for larger version. 

Name:	extender.hollowed.jpg 
Views:	173 
Size:	97.0 KB 
ID:	169435

I use a 1/2" diameter or so grinder thing in a Foredom. Like John, after the fingerboard is installed. I sneak up on where the binding meets and finish off with sandpaper wrapped around a dowel. That's for the cheeks. The staight sides and underside and curves under the fingerboard are all done on an edgesander and a spindle sander before it's glued and screwed on, before the fingerboard is glued on.

Thanks. I bought an extension cable for my Dremel. It worked great on the non scroll side, but the scroll was in the way on the scroll side. I used a curved carving chisel, then a small round file to rough out the curve. After I glue the fret board on, I'll finish up with a small dowel wrapped with sandpaper.

I needed the Dremel attachment to scoop the Florida anyway. This brings the tool expenditure for the build to around $200. I already had a box of specialty tools, but bought some scrapers, the StewMac binding router attachment, and countless spool clamps, a finger plane, thickness gauge, etc.

Kind of justifies building an oval A doesn't it?
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

I have a large rat tail rasp that goes up to about 3/8". Then dowel wrapped with sand paper.

I just use a piece of sandpaper wrapped around a pencil. Simple enough and creates a nice curved profile.
    Nic Gellie

Adrian Minarovic

I use gouges or chisels but since I often use curly maple on these I cut across the pieces (downhill) I precarve most bvefore gluing board on and finish cutting tiny slivers after board is on. Using dowel with sandpaper is limited on traditional F-5 with scroll so close to the piece.
    Adrian

For that spot next to the scroll on an F5 I use an aluminum tube that has a taper on the end. I also cut the sandpaper to match the taper after I stick it on, and I can sand that whole area. I use incannel gouges to get close, though.

I ended up using just about everything suggested. Pencil wrapped with sandpaper worked great on the non scroll side. Small files and just tightly rolled sandpaper worked to finalize the scroll side. I had the presence of mind to tape the scroll to protect it. Spent the last two days detailing all the joints.

I glued the fingerboard on after fretting it and scooping the Florida, then finalized the curves flush to the fingerboard. I'm so glad I came to an understanding with myself that the mandolin would be imperfect. I had to add wood back to the top after the binding channel ended up wide on both lower bouts. Quite a bit actually, but the "repair" looks really good. I started out thinking of going blacktop to hide it, but am now leaning toward leaving that and everything else visible as a reminder of the process and of overcoming mistakes. It's not like I'll ever try to sell it.

So I'm about to level and crown the frets, make a nut and put the hardware on. I guess there is the bridge to fit too, but I'm getting close.

Then I'll dig out the alcohol dyes, find where I put my practice boards, and try to mix up the color I have in my head, which I can only describe as burnt amber.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

Blog Entries

I just use a sharp gouge and carve it out. Seems to work fine.
    Bernie
    ____
    Due to current budgetary restrictions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off -- sorry about the inconvenience.