Thread: Truss rod wrench?

Default Truss rod wrench?

Does anyone know what wrench I'd need to adjust the truss rod on my late 70's Washburn?Attachment 169417

Default Re: Truss rod wrench?

Can’t open your link but, I’d go see a luthier with it and see what they recommend.
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

Tried to post a picture from my phone but I guess it didn't work. I think I've got it now. It's some kind of hex nut? awful tight for getting a wrench on it. If anyone knows the size that might help me locate one. Wish I had easy access to a luthier but I'm not aware of any west of the twin cities. I'm pretty tied down to my own shop these days and it's tough to get into Minneapolis or St Paul during business hours. I'd give the nut a turn myself if I could find a wrench. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Washburn truss nut.jpg 
Views:	223 
Size:	394.8 KB 
ID:	169437

You probably could use a standard open end wrench, as it looks like a nut driver would never get into that cavity. I would start with a 5/16 or 3/8 wrench.

I’ll bet it’s metric.
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

Why in the world would they cut a truss rod nut cavity like that? It just about guarantees that no standard truss rod wrench can be used.
    Don

2016 Weber Custom Bitterroot F
    2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

7. The following members say thank you to multidon for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Timbofood View Post
    I’ll bet it’s metric.
    Then I would try a 10mm.

I've seen cheap instruments where you had to open up the trussrod cavity with a rattail file to have the wrench go on straight. If it doesn't go on straight don't mess with it

f you ahve a Harbor freight or Lowe's or any shop that sells cheap sets of socket wrenches, one English, one metric that'll save you a lot of grief. Just be careful not to round off that nut
    Kentucky km900
    Yamaha piano, clarinet, violin; generic cello;
    a pedal steel (highly recommended); banjo, dobro don't get played much cause i'm considerate ;}

Shopping/monitoring prices: vibraphone/marimbas, rhodes, synths, Yamaha brass and double reeds

George Lane's idea of using a standard open ended wrench is what you should try first of all. Unless you're pretty handy with wood carving tools,shy away from any 'cutting',you might just make a hard job impossible. Usually model shops who supply tools to aircraft / train model makers carry small tools. You might try using a piece of wood veneer or cardboard to make a template to fit the hex. That's something that would give you a close approx. to the actual size wrench (we call 'em 'Spanners') & a bit more to go on when trying to find one.

Amazon sell ''Mini Spanner'' sets,so when you know what size you need,have a look,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Auto parts stores sell "Ignition" wrench sets in both standard and metric sizes...Mot a lot of room even to turn an open end wrench if he did find the correct size...A decent luthier could probably gouge out that area in the peghead so that a socket would fit in there...I have the same problem with a custom mandolin that I had made and I use an open end wrench, only needed to do it once in 40 years

One thing that I would also like to point out to the OP is that a few of his strings are wound with the wraps going over top of the previous one a better choice would be to have them under the previous wrap, gives a little more angle and down force where the string passes through the nut slots...Sorry to bump this thread but just wanted to point it out...

Quote Originally Posted by multidon View Post
    Why in the world would they cut a truss rod nut cavity like that? It just about guarantees that no standard truss rod wrench can be used.
    Happens all the time.
    There is a long thread here somewhere where I complained bitterly about that, and it's not just cheap instruments that show up with such poor design.

Quote Originally Posted by Willie Poole View Post
    One thing that I would also like to point out to the OP is that a few of his strings are wound with the wraps going over top of the previous one a better choice would be to have them under the previous wrap, gives a little more angle and down force where the string passes through the nut slots...Sorry to bump this thread but just wanted to point it out...
    I went over then under. Probably not best practice especially for the wound strings? How about the lighter unwrapped, you find it unnecessary to "lock" them in to prevent slippage? I haven't had a chance to look further at the nut yet, in fact I forgot to bring it home from the shop. (I keep it at work for any quiet moments that come around) I did send an email to Washburn just to see if they had info they could share.

You could carefully work a Dremel small sanding drum in front of the nut to remove some of that wood that is in the way of getting a truss rod tool on there. The relieved wood, would still be covered by the truss rod cover.

If you can determine the size you can order a thin wall socket that would help minimize the amount of wood that needs to be removed.

Still working on the nut size. Best guess is 5-6mm, 3/16-7/32. I took the mandolin in to a hardware store yesterday but didn't find anything there small enough to fit. Haven't heard anything back from Washburn yet.

If you can find a set of ignition wrenches see if one of them will fit. They aren't very common anymore, but you should be able to find a set somewhere. You might have to grind the outside of the wrench to fit into the hole. I've done this before with success.

I have had to grind wrenchs thinner for a certain task, I didn't worry about it I just needed if for the task. If you try a socket, it won't fit, I doubt even if you grind the walls thinner. I am with George and would try an open end wrench.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Pops,
    I have a drawer in my tool box with wrenches that have been thinned or had the outside ground down and bent for whatever task I have to do.
    THart - you can find cheap wrenches at Harbour Freight or a local pawn shop.
    Good luck

George, we were born the same year, seems like we have more similarities than the year.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

21. The following members say thank you to pops1 for this post: