Thread: Fret file or level too?

Registered User mandolin breeze's Avatar

Default Fret file or level too?

I've got a mando with some light fret wear at a couple spots . . . mainly the first couple frets on the A and E strings. At this point though, it is not causing a buzz or any playing issues. My question - is it possible to just file out and round the few offending frets without lightly filing / leveling the entire board? I can picture where that could lower those frets enough to introduce a buzz because the repaired frets are now slightly too low in relation to the next one?

Lately, I'm starting to explore and understand more of the basic setup techniques, so I can keep my own instruments in top playing condition. I've invested in some quality tools and have been researching, YouTubing, etc. to learn more and progress in my skills.

Any thoughts here would be appreciated.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fw.jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	149.4 KB 
ID:	169405

Default Re: Fret file or level too?

You get fret wear almost immediately so keeping it in "tip top" shape will be a full time job. I can't tell to well, but those don't look bad.

I have crowned worn frets on many instruments as opposed to leveling when it is just a few frets. Use a crowning file and crown the fret leaving a faint trace of the dent so you don't lower the fret. If it is not buzzing, it will narrow the dent to the center. Those are pretty minimal and would be a good candidate for this technique.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

4. The following members say thank you to pops1 for this post:

what I would do is take some 600 grit, wrap it around your 4 fingers and use some mild pressure and go up and down along the whole fretboard-hit the wood also, your fingers will glide in and out of between the frets. you can work those areas a little more, but keep it overall equal. finish buffing up and down the fretboard with some 0000 steel wool. those will just about be gone by then and the whole fretboard, and frets, clean and shiney. use a touch of preferred fretboard oil if you haven't in a while, just to make it look all new and such.

new strings.
    the whole ordeal, 30 minutes.
    enjoy
    d

I see no reason to do anything. The strings are currently resting in shallow grooves- unless all your wear is on one fret and you are getting a buzz on the next fret there is no need to grind everything down to that height. If there's no buzzing and the note at the next fret isn't out of tune, there's nothing to gain.
    Shade Tree Fretted Instrument Repair, retired
    Nevada City, California