Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1 year learning alone. Constructive criticism please!

Smile 1 year learning alone. Constructive criticism please!

I have been practicing as much as I can for about a year using online lessons, etc.
    I do not personally know anyone who plays mandolin, and am hoping for some feedback.
    ALL criticism welcome! I am eager to be a better player.
    Thanks your time!
    Grimm

https://youtu.be/7PjMmTW5mw4
    https://youtu.be/fB956lT1rlw
    2003 Breedlove Rogue
    2018 Martin OM-28
    2018 Ome Minstrel 12" Banjo

Default Re: 1 year learning alone. Constructive criticism please!

Looking at your 2 videos I'd say you have achieved a great deal in your playing progress. Your picking is accurate, with both up and down strokes given equal strength. Your fingering shows you are using all 4 fingers fluently and accurately and you keep fingers close to fingerboard all the time, showing good economy of movement. Many learners (and we all are, no matter how long we've been playing) have a tendency to let the fingers fly. Your sound is balanced and clean.
    Have you had a look at the Newbies group over on the forum here? Great stuff there.
    Congratulations on your present competent level; go now for building tempo at your own pace.
    I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order. - Eric Morecambe

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheOldBores

3. The following members say thank you to John Kelly for this post:

Grimm 

I agree with John - You've made nice progress, but with regard to being 'eager',i understand that,but don't rush. Whatever you're doing keep on doing it,but i would try maybe a couple of up-tempo tunes in your practice.They're bound to come at some point,so try a couple out - it'll make you a tad more flexible in the tunes that you'll want to play. Play the tunes that you know at a higher tempo. In my own practice,i was trying to play a few real finger busters within months of starting. I couldn't do it at first,but as they say,practice makes (almost) perfect !.

Well done, & a nice mandolin incidentally,
    Ivan
    PS - Tempo - i re-read John's post & he'd already mentioned that point .
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ivan Kelsall For This Useful Post:

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

What John said. You're well on your way.
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

7. The following members say thank you to Bertram Henze for this post:

Grimm 

Nice.

I started this mandolin journey July 14, 2017.

9. The following members say thank you to B381 for this post:

Grimm 

As these guys say, so far so good.

You are doing well technically, but I have a suggestion - try to feel the subtle muscles around the 1st finger and thumb holding the pick, and learn to make small movements from that part of your hand so that your picking is not so rigid.

It looks like most of your picking motion comes from the forearm and wrist, and there is no movement in the fingers holding the pick.

Sure, you need to be firm and strong, but eventually you will appreciate how small movements of the fingers holding the pick can make a big difference in the expressiveness and fluidity of your playing.

Granted, I come from the Italian Neapolitan school, I do not play archtop mandolins as I prefer European style instruments, so perhaps my advice may not be pertinent to you.

11. The following members say thank you to DavidKOS for this post:

Grimm 

DavidKOS's advice is sound, regardless of the type of mandolin you pick. Your grip seems just a tiny bit too rigid, and you may benefit from more finger flexion during the picking stroke, so the pick can be held loosely but securely.

Also, have you considered bringing up the musical tempo, and challenging yourself with greater picking speed? I realize that you may have been picking deliberately slowly for the video demos, but eventually playing with others, or in performance, will almost certainly involve significantly faster tempos, and it's good to try to improve your agility at the higher speeds, as well as to practice slowly. Actually, it's ALL good!

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sblock For This Useful Post:

I agree with everyone else so far! Stellar progress for only one year in (I wish I sounded like that at one year)! It does seem like most of your right hand movement is coming from your wrist, and getting a little more movement into your fingers (as per David's advice), as well as perhaps loosening up your right elbow and getting the weight/energy of your entire right forearm into the mix a little bit. These are subtle things that will come with time, overall your technique is very solid already.

Sblock also has good advice. Your slow tempo lends towards a really solid technique and musical feel, but if you haven't already, push your speed up to the point that it starts to fall apart and sound not as good, and you can then troubleshoot what is going on that is creating the speed block. Everyone has one somewhere and it's always something worth looking at. Don't be afraid to get sloppy and play too fast as long as you use that experience to learn where things start degrading when it comes to sound, technique, comfort, tension, etc.

Mostly, keep up the great work, and thanks for sharing!
    Baron
    MandoLessons: Free Online Mandolin Lessons
    Velocipede: My Fiddle Tune Duo
    Old Time Mandolin: Solo Old Time Mandolin Album

15. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Baron Collins-Hill For This Useful Post:

Also, I just looked at your channel and see the progress documenting you did from day one! Great work, and keep posting!

Baron
    MandoLessons: Free Online Mandolin Lessons
    Velocipede: My Fiddle Tune Duo
    Old Time Mandolin: Solo Old Time Mandolin Album

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Baron Collins-Hill For This Useful Post:

Good progress! I don't think it's been brought up: do you play with other people? It's really important. At whatever tempo, it's like leaving the safety of the nest. And it will definitely make you a better player.

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dale Ludewig For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Baron Collins-Hill View Post
    Also, I just looked at your channel and see the progress documenting you did from day one! Great work, and keep posting!

Baron
    Thank you everyone for taking the time to give me your insights!
    Especially you Baron since almost all of my progress has been from learning from your videos. From your expert playing, clear instructions, amazing Ellis, high video/audio quality, to your easy-going demeanor. It's always a pleasure to sit down to my next mandolessons.com video!
    Oh and by the way I ordered my banjo mainly due to your videos on your other channel. After seeing you play on that rickard it opened up a new world! Can't say thanks enough.

I have noticed my picking hand getting locked up when I concentrate hard on everything else. I'll focus more on keeping it loose.

No! I don't play with anyone. Basically zero experience jamming with other folks because:
    I don't know anyone.
    I'm a truck driver.
    So most of my practice time is in the truck when I'm between loads. I did recently learn about a weekly open jam near my home! I plan to visit the next time I am home on a Thursday night.
    Recently though I've been focusing on playing the songs I know along with Baron's play along tracks on mandolessons practicing both rhythm and melody for each tune until it's natural. It really helps while I'm mostly on my own.
    I'll start using a metronome and work on speeding the tunes up.

Thanks again for all the input everyone. This forum is always so helpful!
    2003 Breedlove Rogue
    2018 Martin OM-28

21. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Grimm For This Useful Post:

formerly Philphool Phil Goodson's Avatar

Good job with your progress. Impressive for 1 year of self teaching.

Are you able to play chords along with tune videos? If not, you might want to spend some time with chord accompaniment of some tunes.

It might be that just the process of the looser right hand movements needed for chording might transfer automatically to some of your single note playing.
    Chord playing will definitely be helpful to you when you go out to jams too.

Best to you.
    Phil

“Sharps/Flats” “Accidentals”

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Phil Goodson For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Philphool View Post
    Good job with your progress. Impressive for 1 year of self teaching.

Are you able to play chords along with tune videos? If not, you might want to spend some time with chord accompaniment of some tunes.

It might be that just the process of the looser right hand movements needed for chording might transfer automatically to some of your single note playing.
    Chord playing will definitely be helpful to you when you go out to jams too.

Best to you.
    Thanks for the tip Phil. I have spent very little time practicing rhythm (open chords and chop) since starting. I'm sure I'd have picked it up quicker if I spent time playing with others. So just recently I've been dedicating time to just playing the chords to the play along tracks on mandolessons.com
    I hope you're right about that helping loosen my right hand. In the meantime I'm focusing on my right hand more trying to get it used to not be as bunched up.
    Thanks for your time Phil.
    2003 Breedlove Rogue
    2018 Martin OM-28

Yes, Grimm, I agree with the general opinion that your play quite well and also concur with the other suggestions.

One thing I noted, though: you might take another listen to Baron's version of "Big Sciota". It sounds like your B part has some extra beats. When I learned that tune it was strictly an old time tune but not a crooked one. More recently it has become a favorite of bluegrass players as well but I have never heard it with extra beats. It is not bad and you are at least consistent in your video.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

26. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

Grimm 

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    Yes, Grimm, I agree with the general opinion that your play quite well and also concur with the other suggestions.

One thing I noted, though: you might take another listen to Baron's version of "Big Sciota". It sounds like your B part has some extra beats. When I learned that tune it was strictly an old time tune but not a crooked one. More recently it has become a favorite of bluegrass players as well but I have never heard it with extra beats. It is not bad and you are at least consistent in your video.
    Thanks Jim. I see what you're talking about after looking at it. I'll be sure to relearn that phrase properly.
    2003 Breedlove Rogue
    2018 Martin OM-28

This is by far the most informative and friendly. What is it about mandolins?
    2003 Breedlove Rogue
    2018 Martin OM-28

29. The following members say thank you to Grimm for this post:

CeeBee 

Grimm - Right from the begining of my mandolin playing,i did what i'd done decades ago on banjo,used reordings to play along with. I don't know if you do this already,but if not,give it a try. Play a tune > find the key > work out the chords (this might help :- https://play.riffstation.com/ - Riff Station) type in the name of a tune & if the tune's on there,it'll show the chords,usually as guitar chords,but ''the name's the same''. Here's a few for Bill Monroe's tune ''Wheel Hoss'' as an example :- https://play.riffstation.com/search?q=wheel%20hoss

As you might expect.YouTube is a great source of tunes / videos to watch & to learn from - pick a few out to try for yourself. They range from beginner,to advanced. Doing it that way will also improve your ability to play by ear,something that's very important when Jamming with others,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

31. The following members say thank you to Ivan Kelsall for this post:

Grimm 

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Kelsall View Post
    this might help :- https://play.riffstation.com/ - Riff Station) type in the name of a tune & if the tune's on there,it'll show the chords,usually as guitar chords,but ''the name's the same''. Here's a few for Bill Monroe's tune ''Wheel Hoss'' as an example :- https://play.riffstation.com/search?q=wheel%20hoss
    It looks like it will be a pay only software choice:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-07-14 at 10.42.12 PM.png 
Views:	95 
Size:	329.0 KB 
ID:	169444
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Impressive !

Grimm, very nice picking. I'll repeat what a lot have already said. I wish I sounded like that at one year, so good work! Yes, try playing faster to push yourself. What I used to do was play with the metronome at a comfortable speed. Increase the speed until you are making mistakes, then slow it back down until you are making mistakes at a slow speed. This helped me a lot. Since you aren't playing in a group, find a CD that you can play along with to work on timing, rhythm, and breaks. Just don't have the music so loud that you can't hear what you are doing. Good luck on your journey and enjoy the ride!

35. The following members say thank you to Skip Kelley for this post:

Grimm 

How many tunes can you play at the level you play in the video?
    Object to this post? Find out how to ignore me here!

I'd have to say around 8. For practice each day I tend to cycle thru the tunes I know a few times each day. Then either work on one I want to play better, or learn a new one. I'm also starting to try to add ornamentation, double stops and chord melody into the tunes I already know.
    2003 Breedlove Rogue
    2018 Martin OM-28

For not having any live mandolin players to get advice from or jam, you are doing great. Keep it up, your progress will continue to grow. Best of luck.

39. The following members say thank you to Denny Gies for this post:

Grimm 

===========

I will join the ranks and say that everything sounds good to me. I am also a BIG believer in being 'self-taught' . . . so, keep up the good work!

41. The following members say thank you to MikeZito for this post:

Grimm 

Sounds good to me.

Play faster!

43. The following members say thank you to sbhikes for this post:

Grimm