Thread: The home stretch

Default The home stretch

I've finally finished binding my Arches build and have the feeling of having turned the corner and am on a downhill run toward completion. I'm sure I'll feel even better once the frets go in and the fret board gets glued on. When do you generally have that homestretch feeling? I know I have a lot of detail sanding in my future, but the scary parts are over. I've done enough finish work that I'm not intimidated.

I do have something to ask regarding a thin long strip of wood that looks to go on top of the trussrod. Is this just to buffer the finger board from the trussrod?. There isn't clearance, the clamping will have to put some tension on the rod. Just wondering.

One little thing, one of many delights in doing the build, is the very much amplified sound of the sandpaper when sanding pretty much anywhere on the soundbox. Very lively resonance working there.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

Default Re: The home stretch

I get the homestretch feeling when I am opening the pack of strings.

Quote Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post
    I do have something to ask regarding a thin long strip of wood that looks to go on top of the trussrod. Is this just to buffer the finger board from the trussrod?. There isn't clearance, the clamping will have to put some tension on the rod. Just wondering.

I assume this is probably the filler strip for the truss rod slot. It is important so the truss rod doesn't rattle around and can actually do its job. Some tension on the rod is good! It should be glued in (without getting glue on the truss rod) and then the whole thing leveled before putting the fretboard on.
    What an exciting time!

Yes, it is very exciting to be at this stage. Binding an F style is challenging. I think I could get passably competent after ten or so tries. I've learned a few things, namely, do the back first, then the front will look better from the learning experience. Didn't think that out beforehand. And don't look too closely.LOL

Looks great from five feet away. But I've accepted the imperfections knowing from the start I wasn't going to get Collings fit and finish. I was going to finish the mandolin in a very dark brown to hide the imperfections, but I'm leaning toward lighter now so as not to cover them up. There is a certain satisfaction in the quality of my fixes along the way. I think I want to see them as a fond reminder of the great time I've had.

Thanks for the explanation.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

The home stretch feeling for me is putting the label on, which I do right before putting the instrument in the case and packing it up to ship it. It's been a while since I've done that, a lot going on with moving my house and shop and international business travel all summer. But it's a good feeling to get something out of the shop, for sure.