Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I may need to change my next purchase

Default Re: I may need to change my next purchase

Quote Originally Posted by Nate Lee View Post
    The Carter Vintage Guitars YouTube channel has a lot of videos where you can see different mandolins played by the same player, and in some cases, more than one player.

Here are a few I filmed at Carter a while back. All of them are with the same pick, and mic, filmed one after another on the same day:

Pava F5 Pro: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSWYfBEBq1w

Colling MF: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3K1qmT_BhfI

Pava A5 Player: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2sJ9_2yBbU

Collings MT: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eemOs8LuK3Y

Gilchrist Model 5: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_jiFPp8uRY

Given a big bag of $$$ I'd go with the Gilchrist hands-down .
    I loved all of them but the G had the Gibson-y low-end warmth to my ear while the others seemed on the thin side ( Eastman )but only comparatively . All of them are beauties.

I've stopped by the ellis workshop twice to have minor work done on my #197. Both times I got a shop tour and opportunity to speak with Pava and Tom and others on staff. Great experience, really enjoyed it both times, tom is a genius!
    Rich
    2015 Passernig A5 #76
    2016 Pava Pro A5 #197

Quote Originally Posted by roysboy View Post
    Given a big bag of $$$ I'd go with the Gilchrist hands-down .
    I loved all of them but the G had the Gibson-y low-end warmth to my ear while the others seemed on the thin side ( Eastman )but only comparatively . All of them are beauties.
    I agree about the Gilchrist sounding the best, but at (at least) 4 to 5 times the price of the others (likely, don't know for sure.) Of the others, I like the Pava A5 player and Collings MT, but since I own one of each my ear may have a preference for that which it is used to. Of course, I would take any of the 5 in a heartbeat.

Quote Originally Posted by mtucker View Post
    Strikes me odd that two of the finest in the business wouldn't be able to produce just an acoustic killer.
    That’s just it. They do produce stellar mandolins, according to owners who post here. I believe them. The f-hole instruments on the table were probably killer. That one oval hole A was disappointing to say the least. If it was going to improve it had a ways to go. This is not a slam. I’m a Gibson owner and have suffered in silence through enough slams. It’s a conundrum. Why not leave that one in Texas?
    Mike Snyder

I also have visited with Tom Ellis at his shop and he was/is a very cordial and interesting man ! Great photographer too ! I own two Ellis mandolins , a A-5 and a F-5. Both great sounding ! If you are ever in his neighborhood stop by ( make an appointment if you can ) as you will be happy you did ! I also have played on a Pava ( actually a couple ) and while they was very good I still prefer the Ellis as my wife and I could hear a difference between the two makers . I think the real hands on / ears on test is to play a variety of mandolins without looking at the head stock name of the builder first. I think that knowing the builder before playing could influence how you hear it ! I did this at Gruhn's last year and played on Gilchrist's and other high end models and a Wienman F5 was the winner ( to my ears). But, everyone's ears are different !

Hi there, first post, long time lurker. I just picked up Pava #288, an Amber Satin A5, my first "good" mandolin (I have an old Kay that I'd pick up every few months just to make sure it still wasn't enjoyable to play). I'm primarily a fiddle player, but have tried out various mandolins over the years so I'm not a complete novice. Tried Eastmans, Kentuckys, Flatirons, Gibson, Weber, Collings, Turkey Creek, and a few other boutique makers I can't remember the names of at the moment - ranging from serviceable to really really good but not quite good enough or way out of my price range. I was leaning towards a Flatiron A5 jr before I picked up the Pava. A bit more than I had intended on spending, but as soon as I played the first chord I had the moment of "this is the one." I've had that feeling twice before - with my wife, and a '64 D-28 (held on to the wife, couldn’t afford the Martin).

You do realize the wife has cost you way more than the guitar, don't you?
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

Quote Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post
    You do realize the wife has cost you way more than the guitar, don't you?
    True, but the D-28 can't sing or play bass and guitar