Thread: Ukulele tuning?

Default Ukulele tuning?

I've been dorking around with a cheap, cheap ukulele, and have been enjoying the ease of chording. It occurs to me that I have a passel of 4-string mandos sitting around, and a restringing seems like something that has to happen. Does anyone have suggestions on strings that would be suited for this?

Thanks,

Magnus

Default Re: Ukulele tuning?

Aquila makes a set of strings for tuning a uke in 5ths.

I have a couple sets in concert length, but have not used them. The "concert fifths" are 2 wound and 2 nylon tuned CGDA. That would be a fun way to make a budget mandola equivalent.
    Last edited by Paul Opperman; Jul-07-2018 at 6:16pm. Reason: added info

I second the Aquila strings. They are in a material they call Nylgut and are great compared to the strings you get on a cheap uke. Mine are for a soprano uke, tunes in 5ths, and they are great fun to play.
    I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order. - Eric Morecambe

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheOldBores

Quote Originally Posted by Magnus Geijer View Post
    I've been dorking around with a cheap, cheap ukulele, and have been enjoying the ease of chording. It occurs to me that I have a passel of 4-string mandos sitting around, and a restringing seems like something that has to happen. Does anyone have suggestions on strings that would be suited for this?

Thanks,

Magnus
    I'm thinking that what you have in mind is to string a mandolin so it can be tuned like a uke, rather than to string a uke so it can be tuned in fifths like a mandolin?

knows little

Aquila 31U sets are for stringing and tuning a concert or tenor 'ule as a mando, not vice versa. The cheap, easy, and psycho way is to reverse the string courses on a mando, from EE-AA-dd-gg to gg-dd-AA-EE, totally re-entrant, high to low. For something similar, mix the courses so you're Gg-Dd-Aa-Ee or maybe a bit below that to avoid popping strings. I like Yank Rachell mando tuning (EBF$B) so taking it down to Ee-Bb-F#f#-Bb will be low-tension and bluesy and odd. I'll do that with my Rogue next time I feel like moving strings.

PS: I bought the Rogue with the intention of turning it into a cheap 8-string taropatch 'uke. Didn't work. A mando fingerboard is narrower than a soprano 'uke and much narrower than a concert or tenor. The chording doesn't fit. A mando strung as an 'uke should maybe be in open tuning and played with a slide.

mandolin , I faked it .. martin baritone uke set .. substitute the 1st with one from the soprano set _

1st & 4th same in Sop set.

/
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

knows little

Since my previous post a year ago (how time flies!) I bought a cheap 17-inch 8-string taropatch tenor 'uke and restrung it with two sets of Aquila 31U's to make it a tenor mandola or mand'uke tuned CGDA. Sounds fine, if not overwhelmingly loud, and the scale length is just right for the chording I want. I assembled that setup specifically to play music I couldn't quite stretch to on 19-inch mandola.

Thanks, guys. I'll need to order some strings.