Thread: Apex Strings

Default Apex Strings

I was given a set of Apex mandolin strings at NAMM to try. I put them on my Bush mandolin. They were .11-.41 gauge. The first little while I was not too excited, but that’s not unusual for new strings. I was not impressed when I put the mandolin up for the night. The next morning I picked my mandolin up and it was a different animal. I really like those strings on my mandolin. In the following days I have continued to like them and plan on buying some. I have found my new string of choice. I have no financial interest in the company, don’t sell products, and only relate my experience.
    Have a Great Day!
    Joe Vest

Default Re: Apex Strings

Hi Joe - Re. ''strings'' I owe you some thanks in this regard. A few years back,you mentioned DR strings. I tried some sets & they are now one of my first choices in strings. My larger than standard Lebeda mandolin never sounded so terrific as it does with DR MD11's on it.
    I doubt if the Apex strings will be available over here,but i'll keep an eye out for them - it seems that you've got a good ear for 'strings',
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

I searched all over for 'Apex Strings' but got nowhere. I assume, therefore, that they're not on the market yet. Am I right, or where should I look for info?
    We are the music makers,
    And we are the dreamers of dreams

Waterloo WL-M

Blues Mando Social Group - member

Interesting for sure but I did not see a listing of the materials used. Are they steel, nickel, 80/20, PB? And the Hypereliptical could use some additional explaining. To me it implies that the winding is flattened but that is just a guess.

Glad you like 'em!

Quote Originally Posted by ukenukem View Post
    Interesting for sure but I did not see a listing of the materials used. Are they steel, nickel, 80/20, PB? And the Hypereliptical could use some additional explaining. To me it implies that the winding is flattened but that is just a guess.

Glad you like 'em!
    The above link states they are phosphor bronze.
    We are the music makers,
    And we are the dreamers of dreams

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Moss View Post
    The above link states they are phosphor bronze.
    Oh, thanks, I must have read too fast!

I can get them from a friend. I don’t have pricing, but I get them from Rowdy Pickers. He has a web site. He worked with me at the Bluegrass Division for several years. He also owns and plays a Bush model. He’s a great guy. I believe they are phosphor bronze. I hope you like them.
    Have a Great Day!
    Joe Vest

Will be interesting to try them out. Thanks for the review Big Joe.
    "Can I have a little more talent in the monitors please?"

Ian e probably changed 50,000 sets of strings over my 55 years of playing and working with instruments and still hate it as much as the first time I ever changed a set of strings. Regular guitar string changes I could probably do in my sleep, but slot heads and mandolins are still a pain in the patukis. It’s not hard, just a pain, so when I change strings I like strings that sound good, but just as important is that they stay in tune and last. Some brands are not worth the effort in my opinion, so I don’t use them. I have always been a D’Addario fan (and still am). Their strings are the most consistent of any I’ve ever seen. Not necessarily the best sounding, but close enough. I’ve relied on them because they are s consistent. I hope Apex proves to be as consistent. The sound is as good and they are staying in tune so far. If they last long and I won’t have to change as often, I’ll be one happy man!
    Have a Great Day!
    Joe Vest

The link above takes me to a lighter gage set than BigJoe is talking about. I would try them if a link is found.

Lawson can get the bigger gauges for you. That’s what he uses and I’m getting a few more sets from him. The rowdy pickers website should have contact information, if not let me know and I can put you in touch with him.
    Have a Great Day!
    Joe Vest