Thread: Help needed to identify Gibson mandolin

Default Help needed to identify Gibson mandolin

A friend I used to pick with died about 2years ago his wife died a couple month ago and his daughters are preparing to sell his instruments. I bought a 67 Kay bass that looks new, family took a banjo and a Martin guitar. They need to know more about his mandolin. It's a Gibson A bound top only, hole has binding to cover grain of top and one ring around hole. Paddle head, appears to spruce top and maybe birch back ( very plain not much defined grain worm over tuners, The Gibson straight across peg head Serial number and model no. Wore off of label can't see them at all, FON is very light but appears to be 9671 last digit possibly a 4. I know pictures would help but I'm working off an antique first generation I-Pad and I can't send pics. Anyone venture a guess as to model (A-1?) year and rough value on this description. Any info will be appreciated and I won't hold you to it thanks

Default Re: Help needed to identify Gibson mandolin

According to Spann's Guide, FON 9671 is a 1930 tenor banjo model 4. Not a lot of mandolins produced in the 30's (compared to banjos and guitars). I only see a 4-5 A models in that general number range between 1930 and 1931 and they are only listed as either "A-Jr" or just "A". No numeric designation.
    ========================
    2012 Gibson F5 Master Model
    2019 Northfield F5 Artist 5 Bar
    2019 Northfield Arched Octave Maple
    2020 Northfield F5 4.0

You really need to find a way to post some pictures.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

Bound top and unbound back, single soundhole purfling ring sound like an A-1. Assuming the peghead logo's inlaid rather than painted? "Straight across" would indicate a later model.

1930's A-1's -- model was reintroduced in early '30's, made until 1943 according to the guitarhq website -- are supposed to have a sunburst top, but with Gibson, you can't count on uniformity.

Pics needed, definitely.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Teacher, repair person

The last oval hole A model mandolins, at least in regular production, were made around 1936.

Whatever it is, it sounds like its a later version of one of the plainer models, and the exact year and model number don't have a huge effect on the value. Condition and originality are important.

What colors are the mandolin? Does the finish appear to be original? How much wear and tear? Are there any cracks? Is the logo silkscreened or pearl inlaid? Does it have a truss rod? Does it have a pickguard? What does the tailpiece look like?

If you can't get pictures right away, answering the above will help narrow it down further.

Straight-across headstock logos usually indicate a late 1920s build, but there are some pre-1910 instruments with that feature as well. Does it have the "Guaranteed" label or the "Orville" label?
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

Thanks everyone for your help. To answer some question it is a dark brown appears to be darker on the front. No cracks, top not sunken, has a truss rod, The Gibson on peg head is silk screened ( I think) guaranteed label had a pic guard I can see the hole where bracket was screwed to rim and hole in freeboard where peg was but pic guard is gone tailpiece is what I would call a typical The Gibson tailpiece. The mandolin is very playable but shows that it has been played, not babied, all it's life. No major damage, but very " distressed".

Teacher, repair person

If it's got an unbound fingerboard, it's most likely a plain style A, my guess is later 20's or early 30's. If it has a bound fingerboard, it is an A-1. The color is called "Sheraton brown." If it is missing the pickguard and has significant playing wear, it might be worth somewhere between $900 and $1100.

I will add that while most plain style A's did not have a peghead logo, a silkscreen logo on a late 20's -early 30's model would not be unheard of. Sheraton brown on an A-1 would be unusual.

That's the best that I can do without pictures.
    Last edited by rcc56; Jul-06-2018 at 9:39am.

Quote Originally Posted by Mandoplumb View Post
    I know pictures would help but I'm working off an antique first generation I-Pad and I can't send pics.
    Without pics the discussion is a lot less fun for those "reading!" I did get a chuckle from your description of your "ancient" I-Pad! (dating back to the dark ages of 2010!)

Jeff in computer speak 8 years is ancient. I'm so ancient I can't hardly use any of this new fangled puters.

11. The following members say thank you to Mandoplumb for this post:

My son works in the world of computers, he says when it hits the showroom for sale the first time it is already obsolete.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

I got a plain A no head face logo , side dots* , back binding
    does have single ring, bound around soundhole edge & top.

upper bridge piece is aluminum, no TR, .. '22 .. had it since mid 80's ..

I'm Obsolete..
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture