Thread: Weber A Gallatin questions?

Default Weber A Gallatin questions?

I am truly a beginning mandolin player. Been "playing" about a week and I just purchased a used Weber A Gallatin for my first mandolin. Maybe you can help me with some questions. How can I tell what year it was made? How can I tell what woods were used on top and bottom? #9227903 and signed "Bruce D Weber"

Default Re: Weber A Gallatin questions?

It should be March of 2009.

I would interpret your serial number as follows: the first number represents the year 2009. The last two numbers represent the month of manufacture. The numbers in between are actually the serial number. Those are numbered sequentially by style. Thus. Your mandolin was made in March of 2009 and is the 2,279th A style ever manufactured by them.

That instrument’s specs call for spruce on top and maple back, sides, and neck. But 2009 was somewhat of a transition year. Earlier examples may have mahogany back and sides. If you have mahogany, there will be a contrasting dark and light striped grain pattern, and distinct open pores in the wood. If it’s maple, the north to south grain will not be contrasting nearly as much and it will be devoid of pores. Don’t get figure in wood confused with grain. Grain in an instrument back runs north to south. If your back is maple and displays any figure (sometimes called flame), it will generally run east to west.
    Don

2016 Weber Custom Bitterroot F
    2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

A very nice first mandolin, for sure. Enjoy it!

Quote Originally Posted by George R. Lane View Post
    It should be March of 2009.
    Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by multidon View Post
    I would interpret your serial number as follows: the first number represents the year 2009. The last two numbers represent the month of manufacture. The numbers in between are actually the serial number. Those are numbered sequentially by style. Thus. Your mandolin was made in March of 2009 and is the 2,279th A style ever manufactured by them.

That instrument’s specs call for spruce on top and maple back, sides, and neck. But 2009 was somewhat of a transition year. Earlier examples may have mahogany back and sides. If you have mahogany, there will be a contrasting dark and light striped grain pattern, and distinct open pores in the wood. If it’s maple, the north to south grain will not be contrasting nearly as much and it will be devoid of pores. Don’t get figure in wood confused with grain. Grain in an instrument back runs north to south. If your back is maple and displays any figure (sometimes called flame), it will generally run east to west.
    Thank you so much for your response. It cleared up a lot for me. From your description of the wood, it sort of looks striped, so it must be mahogany. Has a good sound, though, compared to the others I tried.

Quote Originally Posted by spufman View Post
    A very nice first mandolin, for sure. Enjoy it!
    Thank you. I think I'll really enjoy playing it!