Thread: Recommended gauge string from the conpany

Default Recommended gauge string from the conpany

Hello there
    Can anyone enlighten me on the gauge string I should fit my morgan monroe mandolin with without doing any modification ,I got this mail from the company but I can't tell what they mean by" re fitting the top.

"They come with a light gauge set, which we recommend for all of our mandoins, you can go heavier, but you may need to re-fit the top nut and bridge string slots."

Thanks

Default Re: Recommended gauge string from the conpany

"Re - fitting the top" would mean removing it, not to be done except in the most catastrophic situations. He probably means that changing the string guages would, by changing the thickness of the strings, require that the string grooves in the nut and bridge saddle be widened.
    We are the music makers,
    And we are the dreamers of dreams

Thanks Roger he also gave me this advise on lighter strings is he right?

"011, or just called light guage set, daddario EJ74, or EJ62 will be good sets to use, the EJ74 is a warmer sounding string, and the EJ62 will be a little brighter sounding string."

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Moss View Post
    "Re - fitting the top" would mean removing it, not to be done except in the most catastrophic situations. He probably means that changing the string guages would, by changing the thickness of the strings, require that the string grooves in the nut and bridge saddle be widened.
    Yes, surely he meant refitting the nut slots, not the top (he said "top nut").

BUT: J74s (11 - 40) are not light, they are the standard gauge strings that most people use. The manufacturers call J73s light strings - they are 10 - 38 gauge. It seems very likely that both gauges will fit comfortably on your Morgan Monroe. I bet they fit standard gauge 11-40s at the factory.

Thanks for your advise that helped to get things clearer I will go for the j74s then.

Thanks

just be alerted, the EJ-74s are, iirc, labeled 'medium" weight.
    --------------------------------
    1920 Lyon & Healy bowlback
    1923 Gibson A-1 snakehead
    1952 Strad-o-lin
    1983 Giannini ABSM1 bandolim
    2009 Giannini GBSM3 bandolim
    2011 Eastman MD305