Thread: TCM M-300 bowlback mandolin?

Default TCM M-300 bowlback mandolin?

I’ve been looking for specs and pricing just to familiarize myself with what i’m playing
    playing I’ve found a relation to intex a musical instrument distributor and i’ve seen a
    TCM les Paul on kijiji with the same logo. A friend thought it might be Indonesian.
    Has anybody come across this make?.......Thanks

Default Re: TCM M-300 bowlback mandolin?

According to a thread on guitarsite.com, this is the scoop on TCM instruments in Canada -- at least one person's opinion:

TCM is imported from China by the Intercontinental Music store in Ottawa. Only Intercontinental sells them. TCM is their "pro" line, so some dupe probably paid a lot for it, but really, it's not a high end guitar. Middling at best. Glad to hear that your guitar sounds good.

Intercontinental Music imports brands like TCM, Intex, Baron and Simon. They don't sell any well known brands. Owner puts a super high MSRP on it, followed by the slightly lower regular price, followed by a 50% off sale sticker price. So it looks like your lucky day when you walk in. Except that the sale has been on since the store opened. And the guitars are not worth the money, even at 50% off.
    Note: Just google mapped Intercontinental Music. (610 Donald st., Ottawa ON) The street view now shows 75% off! Still not worth the money.

So, apparently Asian-made, low-to-mid-range instruments. I would tread carefully, definitely not buy sight unseen (or strings unplayed), perhaps get a friend with more expertise to check out the instrument before a purchase decision. Not clear from your post if you're thinking of buying a TCM, but this is what someone with direct experience thought about the brand and the importer/seller.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Default Re: TCM M-300 bowlback mandolin?

Thank you very much Allen. Your feedback was very useful.

4. The following members say thank you to Mtl Seán for this post: