Thread: and some of us think 8 strings are a hand full

Default and some of us think 8 strings are a hand full

short history on this man. years ago I was in black mountain, nc. this was long before I ever attempted to make musical notes on anything. black mountain, nc is a mountain top very small town. 2 lanes, a real bakery, 2 or 3 other places to eat, acoustic corner(guitar/mandolin/banjo shop), and Song of the Mountain-a dulcimer shop. Was staying at the Monte Vista hotel(check it out-an old carriage house with a lot of history, rooms are still to the period, no AC, open windows, big bath tubs, no tv, no radio, just mountain top air).
    I walked in the shop, knowing nothing about dulcimers or anything else. I was amazed with the woodwork on these instruments.

found this video this evening and its just a neat experience to watch, see this craftsman, musician, hear his story, his journey. I think we can all relate in some way to something he talks off.

hope you enjoy this-there's no mandolin content, hope that's ok

d

https://www.pbs.org/video/our-state-sweetest-sound/

2. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to darylcrisp For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Default Re: and some of us think 8 strings are a hand full...............

But what a delightful handful.

Sweet video. Black Mountain is lovely. Played a great festival at the old Black Mountain College a number of times back in the '90s. I have no idea if it's still going on, but it was a pretty big event in those days. Also played a dance at a rickety grange hall close to town. Lots of music-making going on in that area.
    Just one guy's opinion
    www.guitarfish.net

Those things are otherworldly...

https://youtu.be/alcRdeJ5kks
    We are the music makers,
    And we are the dreamers of dreams

That's a nice interview with JRS.

We happen to be discussing HD over on The Session where someone posted this clip of Jim Couza. https://youtu.be/u2xXfTNaKZU

It captures only a glimpse of the lightness of air one can play on HD - but gives an idea of its expressive capacity. I've been playing for about 3 decades now. My experience was just as JRS describes upon his first hearing - it captivated me instantly and I've been at it ever since - mostly trad Scots/Irish...I'm smitten with slow airs.

Quote Originally Posted by catmandu2 View Post
    That's a nice interview with JRS.

We happen to be discussing HD over on The Session where someone posted this clip of Jim Couza. https://youtu.be/u2xXfTNaKZU

It captures only a glimpse of the lightness of air one can play on HD - but gives an idea of its expressive capacity. I've been playing for about 3 decades now. My experience was just as JRS describes upon his first hearing - it captivated me instantly and I've been at it ever since - mostly trad Scots/Irish...I'm smitten with slow airs.
    I think its the coolest thing I've seen or heard in music.
    I guess I'm smitten!

just wondering out loud, what does one spend to get started on a decent sounding/playing HD?
    d

They're quite reasonable - I think Jerry's go for a couple of $K. I prefer the sound of a floating-top model (such as what Couza is playing) and smaller, since I'm not playing orchestral arrangements or like. It doesn't have to be big. Check out Nick Blantons. Also, the design of the Foleys from Michigan - tuning pins on both sides - I won't do without these days. My Foley (Lost Valley I think is what they go by) is small, like the Oakwoods they play in the UK, but perfect. They go for 1K or thereabouts. You can get something smaller like the Dusty Strings starter models - on ebay all day long for probably 3 to 4 hundred. The inexpensive stuff from Jake's Cabin/Rick Thum don't possess a particularly inspiring sound, imo.

Was in California several years ago for my daughters senior recital and heard a dulcimer player using what looked like long fingernails to play. He had them on all 8 fingers and used them like a bow. So the dulcimer had sustain and a very eerie sound. Really interesting and enjoyable, wish I could remember his name, he was very good.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Quote Originally Posted by pops1 View Post
    Was in California several years ago for my daughters senior recital and heard a dulcimer player using what looked like long fingernails to play. He had them on all 8 fingers and used them like a bow. So the dulcimer had sustain and a very eerie sound. Really interesting and enjoyable, wish I could remember his name, he was very good.
    That's standard wire harp technique. https://youtu.be/DEymeFxWhx0

As a wire harper, I've experimented with nails on HD to render particular effects. Using a variety of devices on HD enables a wide range of timbres. The cimbalom and yang chin players use long, flexible sticks with padded ends..

My favorite "hammered dulcimer" player is shivkumar sharma. I saw him and zakir in 1984 and blew my mind. https://youtu.be/I4LP3ziNTlU

11. The following members say thank you to catmandu2 for this post:

Default Re: and some of us think 8 strings are a hand full

Thanks for the recommendation... very, very cool. Hopefully one doesn’t have to buy a full set of strings if one breaks! lol
    “Without music, life would be a mistake” Neitzsche

Collings MF5-V
    Kimble A5
    An electric rig with an envelope filter trying to sound like Jerry...

There's mando content in there - you just have to look hard. David Holt mentioned that Tom Fellenbaum was one of his first students with Jerry Read Smith. Tom builds mandolins and bouzoukis in addition to mountain dulcimers. There's your mandolin content

This was a treat. Thanks for sharing it.

The Hammered Dulcimer has to be one of my all time VERY favourite instruments !. The sound is incredible - i wonder what a duo of Hammered Dulcimer & Autoharp (another favourite), would sound like ?.

Here's a favourite of mine - Grandpa Jones' daughter, Alisa Jones - ''Over The Waterfall'',
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

===========

I was telling somebody the other day that there are 3 types of musicians in the world:
    1. Those who love music.
    2. Those who like music, but love their ego.
    3. Those who play music just to feed their ego.

Jerry Read Smith is a man who is in the highest class of Type 1. He is an inspiration.

Quote Originally Posted by catmandu2 View Post
    That's standard wire harp technique. https://youtu.be/DEymeFxWhx0

As a wire harper, I've experimented with nails on HD to render particular effects. Using a variety of devices on HD enables a wide range of timbres. The cimbalom and yang chin players use long, flexible sticks with padded ends..

My favorite "hammered dulcimer" player is shivkumar sharma. I saw him and zakir in 1984 and blew my mind. https://youtu.be/I4LP3ziNTlU
    These nails were like 4"-6" long and,and curved. The strings weren't plucked they were bowed by sliding the 4" nail across the string. Using all 8 fingers with these 4" bows the sound was incredible.

Interesting. Does it produce a sound like the sustaining effect produced by rubbing the sticks on the strings? (a la S Sharma)

A very sustaining sound more like a violin bow, he can go forward and back and took a long time figuring out the material to use. He also taps so it sounds like a normal dulcimer. Wish I had more memory, but age and time, it was +-10 years ago. It also colored the sound slightly and was haunting at times. The nails were much longer than a hammer so much more sustain. I will keep looking to see if I can find something, he was very interesting to listen and talk to.

Found it.

With a kit like that, one could seemingly earn a living from busking . HD, even conventionally, has always evoked the most interest and intrigue from listeners, in my experience. Whenever i played the farmers markets, many folks appear to have some preconception of the instrument's ancient history vis a vis its "non-western" context.

I love the sound of a hammered dulcimer. About 15 years ago, I made one. I believe I'd rather spend a week in jail than make another one. I still play it a little and it sounds pretty good but I'll be danged if I ever make another one.
    David Hopkins

2001 Gibson F-5L mandolin
    Breedlove Legacy FF mandolin; Breedlove Quartz FF mandolin
    Gibson F-4 mandolin (1916); Blevins f-style Octave mandolin, 2018
    McCormick Oval Sound Hole "Reinhardt" Mandolin
    McCormick Solid Body F-Style Electric Mandolin; Slingerland Songster Guitar (c. 1939)

The older I get, the less tolerant I am of political correctness, incompetence and stupidity.

I've been working with hammered dulcimer players for 40+ years. It's a wonderful instrument, but I've never been tempted to learn to play one (well, maybe a little). Too big, heavy, and persnickety to tune. Still, wonderful to listen to, and I'm really glad to have been playing alongside one since the '70's; Mitzie Collins, Lee Vaccaro, Barbara Jablonski, Curt Osgood, and others...
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Still Picking and Sawing Jack Roberts's Avatar

A month ago I built a mountain dulcimer. It's only 3 strings, but it is almost, but not quite, exactly the opposite of playing a mandolin, violin or guitar. It's supposed to be easy to play, but only the three strings are a handful for me.

The best hammered dulcimer music I've heard was in Nanjing, China.
    Ha, ha! keep time: how sour sweet music is,
    When time is broke and no proportion kept!
    --William Shakespeare

23. The following members say thank you to Jack Roberts for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by allenhopkins View Post
    ... Too big, heavy, and persnickety to tune. ...
    Compared with fiddle and mndln it certainly is. Otoh, it's really an efficient machine - little to no decoration to add to weight and bulk - what's there is just all about sound. Heavy rock maple pinblocks and all those strings have efficacy - playing indoors I rarely use amplification unless it's a large hall. In fact, one of the primary reasons it's such a great performing instr for me - its great resonance allows me to play slow music to an audience and be heard; airs like Women of Ireland, Fingal's, Carolan's...my long-time favorites that I still play regularly. And I can make as much noise on reels, polkas, breakdowns...it's a great instr for solo playing.

25. The following members say thank you to catmandu2 for this post: