Thread: Mapes Strings???

Default Mapes Strings???

I went onto the Mapes website to order some strings and sent them an e mail and never got any answers so then I tried calling the phone number that was listed on the web site and a recording came on and said it wasn`t a working number...has anyone had the same thing happen and/or do you know how to contact them?

Thanks for any info...

Willie

Blog Entries

Default Re: Mapes Strins???

I had good response and service from them, but not instant. If it has been longer than a couple of days try again. They have bounced back and forth a bit with their web sales.

Here's the reply address I got from my communications with them:

eric.buckles@mapeswire.com

They have been very helpful for me, at least, so try this name.
    Bandcamp -- https://tomwright1.bandcamp.com/
    Videos--YouTube
    Sound Clips--SoundCloud
    The viola is proof that man is not rational

Thanks Tom...I finally did get them on the phone, I guess all of the lines were busy when I first tried them...

Mod., you can take this post off if you like...

Willie

Willie,
    What is your opinion on these strings?
    I have them on my Yellowstone and they seem to last quite awhile.

Default Re: Mapes Strings???

I used them on two of my mandolins, and really liked them. I agree, they do seem to last quite awhile.
    And I love that you can special order the string gauges you want!
    Jeff
    Jeffrey S Wagner

I sent three emails to Mapes about shipping strings to Australia. Not a peep out of them. I really was interested in trying their product.

George I bought three sets from them and they sure seemed as good as what I usually use, I am just partial to a heavier A and E string so with the Mapes I can custom order the gauges that I want...

Willie

Willie,
    I used to use GHS A270's and I custom ordered mine to those specs, with the exception of the E string at 11.5. I really like them.

In my case, the above mentioned Eric Buckles from Mapes responded after two weeks and apologized for the delay. After that it was no problem having the strings sent over to Germany.

Geroge, That is what I want to do but I wanted to try a heavier E string before I bought a few sets and I asked them if they sold singles and they said no and if I bought one set with the heavy E string just to try I would have to pay $3.00 shipping, I was hoping they would offer me a free set like another dealer did last year but they didn`t....I will most likely order five sets any way, I can always get single E strings in the .011 gauge if the heavy ones don`t work out but I`m sure they will...I have four working mandolins so I will be able to string them all up with the Mapes strings and then compare them with the recordings that I have of each mandolin with regular gauge strings...Nothing but time lost and as I say, I`m sure they will be OK, I like the one set that I tried...

Willie

Well, how about this modest proposal? Apparently, Mapes won't sell you individual strings, but it WILL allow you to custom-design an entire mandolin set for $5-$6, with whatever gauges you request (select the "custom gauge" option while ordering). So, select all eight strings in the set to be 0.0115". That way, you'd get 8 replacement E-strings.

Has anyone tried doing this, I wonder? It doesn't violate their 'rules,' so it ought to work!

Blog Entries

I considered trying that on next order. I have a couple packs of strings that I've used just the E strings.

Good thinking Sblock...I might just ive that a try...

I "initially" really liked them but for me they didn't last that long and when the sound went South, they REALLY went South so back to the GHS A270's !

One thing that I have found is that a change in the weather causes a mandolin to change and some people figure that is the strings going "south" when it is actually the weather, I assume each of us have played a mandolin one day and it sounded so great and then the next time we took it out it didn`t sound as good because the weather had gotten cooler or it was raining and the humidity had changed, I like to give my strings time to settle in also when first installing them...That is not to say that all strings will sound good on all mandolins because we know better than that...I guess we all have our favorite strings but I do like to try some different ones now and then when they are on sale etc...

Thanks for all of the comments...

Willie

I initially liked Mape's strings but for ME the sound went South way too soon !