Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Buyer does not cover PayPal fees

Default Re: Buyer does not cover PayPal fees

Quote Originally Posted by LadysSolo View Post
    Wrong - Friends and Family DEFINITELY passes the fee to the buyer if the buyer has their PayPal account tied to a credit card versus having the money taken out of their savings or checking account. How do I know this? I have my PayPal account tied to a credit card, and someone asked me to do "Friends and Family" and I got hit with the fee.
    Guessing that was the fee for using a credit card, which would be in addition to the fee used if you were not using friends and family.

Registered User mandolin breeze's Avatar

PayPal is not the only game in town anymore. Of instance, most every bank now accepts Zelle, which provides quick, free and easy transfers from bank to bank at no cost. They have more important priorities than worrying if you're dealing with friends and family or the boogie man. In that regard, I personally think PayPal has a flawed business model and they may suffer for it. There are also several other popular $$$ transfer options available, but Zelle is partnering with the banks very fast. No need for PayPal at all actually.

Quote Originally Posted by mandolin breeze View Post
    PayPal is not the only game in town anymore. Of instance, most every bank now accepts Zelle, which provides quick, free and easy transfers from bank to bank at no cost. They have more important priorities than worrying if you're dealing with friends and family or the boogie man. In that regard, I personally think PayPal has a flawed business model and they may suffer for it. There are also several other popular $$$ transfer options available, but Zelle is partnering with the banks very fast. No need for PayPal at all actually.
    What does Zelle do if the person you are buying from ends up trying to scam you and steal your money or the product is damaged or not as advertised? Sure there are plenty of transfer options that are free but they do not provide any recourse if you need to get your money back. That is part of why you pay the fee for Paypal.

Quote Originally Posted by mandolin breeze View Post
    ...I personally think PayPal has a flawed business model and they may suffer for it.
    Almost $11 Billion profit last year. I should have such a flawed business model.
    David Hopkins

2001 Gibson F-5L mandolin
    Breedlove Legacy FF mandolin; Breedlove Quartz FF mandolin
    Gibson F-4 mandolin (1916); Blevins f-style Octave mandolin, 2018
    McCormick Oval Sound Hole "Reinhardt" Mandolin
    McCormick Solid Body F-Style Electric Mandolin; Slingerland Songster Guitar (c. 1939)

The older I get, the less tolerant I am of political correctness, incompetence and stupidity.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DHopkins For This Useful Post:

Registered User mandolin breeze's Avatar

We're talking about doing business here on the Cafe, and that fact alone is a big fact to be considered here. The vast vast majority of transactions here among the MC family go off without a hitch. There of course would be all the standard recourse / consumer protection that the applicable Fed. banking and commerce laws provide.

Until very recently, PayPal was essentially the only game in town. Of course that gave rise to the competition. One of which is successfully integrating with the popular banks nationwide. This growing competition and partnership with Zelle and banks has only recently begun, it's still in it's infancy and is growing fast. We'll see if PayPal has the current business model to continue it's dominance, or will they be forced to adopt certain policies. Who knows, but competition is always the driving force and the consumer is always the beneficiary.

[UOTE=LadysSolo;1663632]Wrong - Friends and Family DEFINITELY passes the fee to the buyer if the buyer has their PayPal account tied to a credit card versus having the money taken out of their savings or checking account. How do I know this? I have my PayPal account tied to a credit card, and someone asked me to do "Friends and Family" and I got hit with the fee.[/QUOTE]

As long as the buyer has their Bank Account tied to Paypal, or has money in their Paypal account then there is no fee - so why pay Paypal a fee when they are not supplying the cash, just for a guarantee that is not needed on the Cafe. If the buyer is using a Credit Card in Paypal that's going to have a fee, God only knows who gets it, but it should be the buyers responsibility since it is the Buyer that is getting Credit. Just my opinion.
    Last edited by Dacraw54; Jul-03-2018 at 12:53am.

Using Paypal Friends and family doesn't give you the power to retrieve any payment for any item. F and F is a gift not a payment for goods method.
    I never fail at anything, I just succeed at doing things that never work....

Fylde Touchstone Walnut Mandolin.
    Gibson Alrite Model D.

Quote Originally Posted by LadysSolo View Post
    Wrong - Friends and Family DEFINITELY passes the fee to the buyer if the buyer has their PayPal account tied to a credit card versus having the money taken out of their savings or checking account. How do I know this? I have my PayPal account tied to a credit card, and someone asked me to do "Friends and Family" and I got hit with the fee.
    Any time you advance monies off a credit card, it is considered a cash advance and would entail fees. Friends and Family assumes that you are sending cash to someone. If you were the buyer in this transaction then PayPal assumed you were advancing cash off your card to a family member, friend, etc. Hence the fees to you.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

Friends and family pay with cash or check.

I really look like that soliver's Avatar

I'd like to chime in because I am guilty of this offense, ...unwittingly guilty, but guilty no less. Please take this confession as an explanation, not an excuse, as it is my intent to explain why I have done this, not to beg your pardon so I can continue to do it, because I plan to stop. And please read with tongue in cheek...

A few have alluded to the all to true fact of our contract heavy existence; practically every purchase or service these days requires signing a contract, many of which we do not read because if we did, we would spend more time reading contracts than utilizing the services for which they exist. The reality of this is made bare by reports now that companies are burying ridiculous and funny terms in these contracts. Just for fun read this: https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/10-rid...lauses-agreed/ ... I particularly like that Amazon discusses the use of Lumber yards during a Zombie apocalypse or that iTunes is not to be used in the manufacture of Nuclear Weapons...

So herein is my point, the masses who use PayPal for selling Goods and Services (like me) most likely have not read their contract and therefore don't realize that it violates the contract to tack additional cost onto the purchase to cover the PayPal fees. While what I sell doesn't cost much, resulting in fees under $2 per purchase, it still eats into the profit margin, making me less money, therefore contributing to a slower fix to my MAS problem..... Again, this is MY explanation not an excuse... keep reading.

So that combined with the "monkey see monkey do" nature of mankind (ironic isn't it), when I see other's listing items for sale with the "Buyer covers PayPal fees" tag, I tell myself that this is an acceptable practice. So here I am in the place where I honestly had absolutely NO idea that people took issue with this.

I would venture to guess that 95+% of my business comes through the MC Classifieds. The only reason I have gotten into production and selling as I do here is because, in spite of the fact that I love my job, it doesn't afford me much in the world of "disposable income." That said, selling on the MC Classifieds is money that I raise strictly to support my Mandolin related purchases. Outside of the way this site builds up and supports the Mandolin Community, I am thankful for this site for the way it supports my ability to participate in spite of my financial restrictions.

I like to think of myself as a man of integrity and I hope that others would too... so what's the upshot? I'd like to say thank you Mark for pointing out to me that I have been violating my agreement with PayPal, and thank you to those of you who have made me aware that this is a deal breaker for you. As stated previously, I had completely NO IDEA that this was a issue! So from this point forward I will no longer be tacking PayPal fees onto the prices of what I sell.

To Moderators: If I have violated any forum rules with the above post, please let me know and I'll gladly modify in kind.

I think I'll go use my iTunes account to create some Nuclear Weapons now and incite a Zombie Apocalypse to void my Amazon contract.
    Last edited by soliver; Jul-03-2018 at 11:11am.
    aka: Spencer
    Silverangel Econo A #429
    Soliver #001 & #002: A double stack of Pancakes.

Soliver Hand Crafted Mandolins and Mandolin Armrests
    Armrests Here -- Mandolins Here

"You can never cross the ocean unless you have the courage
    to lose sight of the shore, ...and also a boat with no holes in it.” -anonymous

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to soliver For This Useful Post:

Spencer,
    Great post. I'd like to echo your appreciation for the Cafe and all the ways it supports the community. Scott had put up a long post some time ago addressing some of the issues in this thread. In the post he pointed out the safety of properly using the classifieds to both the buyer and seller. The whole darn thing is just a thing of beauty because of the thought and care that he and others have put in. I'd much sooner use the classifieds here to buy or sell musical merchandise than anyplace else for the work that has been done.
    Ryk
    mandolin ~ guitar ~ banjo

"I'm convinced that playing well is not so much a technique as it is a decision. It's a commitment to do the work, strive for concentration, get strategic about advancing by steps, and push patiently forward toward the goal." Dan Crary

Front Porch & Sweet Tea NursingDaBlues's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by soliver View Post
    So from this point forward I will no longer be tacking PayPal fees onto the prices of what I sell.
    For what it’s worth…

It is not illegal, immoral, or fattening to include PayPal fees in your selling price.

The issue is having two different prices: a cash price, and then another higher price if PayPal is used.

Some folks may remember establishments that offered discounts for cash. If you do, you will probably also remember establishments who promoted “Same Price, Cash or Credit.” Not only did credit card companies frown on establishments overtly appearing to penalize customers who wanted to use a credit card, smart establishments recognized that credit card customers would and could increase their sales volume because of the convenience. So, most establishments added the credit card fees to their cost of doing business.

Retailers must cover their costs of doing business in their gross profit. (Gross profit is the difference between what the retailer paid for an item and the price that the retailer will sell that item.) The costs of doing business include wages, utilities, advertising, rent, in-bound freight, credit card fees, insurance, etc. What’s left over after the costs of doing business are paid is net profit. Net profit is what the business owner gets to put in his/her pocket.

PayPal can be considered a cost of doing business. In this case, a private seller needs to determine what kind of profit he/she wants or needs. If the private seller wants the added convenience and security of PayPal, then he/she should factor that cost into selling price. So, someone who pays cash will pay the same amount as someone who uses PayPal. There is parity. And that’s all that is expected.

Just a couple of side notes:
    A. No two businesses are alike. Each business has different costs of doing business. The greater the costs of doing business, the more a retailer must charge; the fewer the costs, the less the retailer must charge.
    B. If an owner is okay living on less net profit, then he/she can play with the price if a customer is trying to negotiate it lower.
    C. Charging for shipping to a customer, while not a given, is relatively commonplace regardless of the industry. If you want to give away shipping to secure a sale, remember that it’s coming out of your gross profit. So, you may want to include a “promotional budget” in your cost of doing business that can fund or partially fund shipping charges. But just remember points “A” and “B” above.
    D. If you manufacture something that is sold direct to a customer, the same rules apply. It’s just that the cost of the product should include the raw materials, the labor to produce it, and its own cost of business (utilities, wages, etc.) in its production. Then you should develop a selling price that provides a gross profit that covers the cost of doing business in its sale.
    E. All that being said, it’s your product. You can sell an item for how little or how much you want. Just ensure that the price remains the same no matter what form of payment you take.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NursingDaBlues For This Useful Post:

As long as I get a fair amount for something I'm selling, I don't mind picking up PayPal fees. I usually price whatever I'm selling -- mandolin, guitar, recording equipment, etc. -- to do that. If offered another price that I think is fair, I'll still cover PayPal fees. I like the way PayPal works.

Now, if someone lowballs or keeps asking for concessions, it's time to either say, "No Thanks," or come back with, "OK, but you have to increase price to cover PayPal fees at that offer." Prefer to charge actual shipping cost. I usually come up with a quick estimate when I find where potential buyer lives and offer a refund if it actually runs less.

Truthfully, if I'm selling something for $2,000 or more, I'm not usually going to quibble over 5% or so unless the potential buyer keeps asking for concessions.

Re Sioliver: " few have alluded to the all to true fact of our contract heavy existence; practically every purchase or service these days requires signing a contract, many of which we do not read because if we did, we would spend more time reading contracts than utilizing the services for which they exist."

There's always a contract, whether written or not. Where no specific terms are provided by the parties, default rules come into play. Sometimes people don't like these default rules (e.g., the UCC) and the remedies they provide.

"I like to think of myself as a man of integrity and I hope that others would too" - That's what we seek. When things go amiss, people tend to look to evidence and facts, rather than reputation and intent. Just the way things work.

Re NursingDaBlues: "
    Some folks may remember establishments that offered discounts for cash." While the same in effect, a discount shows up differently under the law. I recall a SCOTUS consideration of this in 2017, which might have been remanded. Those interested can no doubt find the opinion.

While much discussion on such matters seems to only be semantics, semantics starts wars and keeps attorneys in business.
    Stephen Perry

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Perry View Post
    While much discussion on such matters seems to only be semantics, semantics starts wars and keeps attorneys in business.
    The difference can be characterized as simply semantics, as has been done here by some. But in reality, it is also a matter of accounting, and a matter of contractual obligation. The analogy that NursingDaBlues makes between credit card companies and PayPal is spot on, he has explained the reasoning behind why the contract is done this way. PayPal frowns on sellers giving the appearance of penalizing a PayPal user. "This is my price, but if you pay with PayPal, there will be an additional fee." This is not good business. The SELLER is collecting the money, so the seller pays the fee. Collect enough money to pay the fee, and don't bother your customer with add-ons for using our payment gateway. It's that simple.

"But I think PayPal sucks and they don't deserve a fee from me." - Then maybe you shouldn't use PayPal
    "PayPal is not a convenience to the seller." - Then maybe you shouldn't offer PayPal
    "Well, PayPal sucks, and PayPal is not a convenience for the seller, but I have my reasons for using it, and I'll use it anyway, and look for ways to avoid the fees, or charge the customer extra to cover the fees, I don't care about the contract. In my opinion it's all semantics, so why should I care?" - Okay, it's a free country, knock yourself out

Quote Originally Posted by NursingDaBlues View Post
    It is not illegal, immoral, or fattening to include PayPal fees in your selling price.

The issue is having two different prices: a cash price, and then another higher price if PayPal is used.

Not only did credit card companies frown on establishments overtly appearing to penalize customers who wanted to use a credit card, smart establishments recognized that credit card customers would and could increase their sales volume because of the convenience. So, most establishments added the credit card fees to their cost of doing business.

All that being said, it’s your product. You can sell an item for how little or how much you want. Just ensure that the price remains the same no matter what form of payment you take.
    The fact that Spencer didn't know what the agreement is, and has learned something from this thread, makes the thread and the topic worthwhile in my estimation. Maybe it can help others as well.
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    ----------------------------------
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

----------------------------------
    HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff

19. The following members say thank you to Mark Gunter for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Dacraw54 View Post

...so why pay Paypal a fee when they are not supplying the cash, just for a guarantee that is not needed on the Cafe.
    You've stated the bolded concept a couple of times in this thread, and I mean no disrespect to Scott or the fantastic classified service he provides, but what guarantee does the Cafe offer that makes outside buyer protection unnecessary? The previous owner of my Mandobird requested a cashier's check via the postal service, which I sent with some small apprehension although the deal was worth the risk. I did my due diligence in communicating with the seller prior to sending the check, but what could the Cafe have done if I'd never received the mandolin?

Sure, the seller's account is linked to a email address and an (unverified) address is required when posting a classified listing, but other than trying to badger the seller and/or ban the account I'm not sure what other recourse this site would have. So caveat emptor. While I'm not a fan of PP's business practices, the security and convenience both as buyer and seller when not using "F&F" is worth the admittedly small fee.

Edit: a "small fee" I have only once negotiated as a buyer to split because of an instrument I really wanted, but otherwise the "buyer pays PayPal fees" is a no-go for me. The fee was built into the price of anything sold here or elsewhere.

C.
    Last edited by Chris Daniels; Jul-03-2018 at 8:30pm.
    Northfield F5S Amber #347 - 'Squeeze'
    Mann EM-5 Hollow Body - Gimme Moore
    Kentucky KM-270 - Not just for whisky
    Flatiron 1N Pancake - Not just for breakfast
    Epiphone Mandobird IV - Djangly
    Cozart 8-string e-mando - El Ch(e)apo
    Lanikai LB6-S Banjolele (tuned GDAE) - Plinky and the Brane

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Daniels View Post
    You've stated the bolded concept a couple of times in this thread, and I mean no disrespect to Scott or the fantastic classified service he provides, but what guarantee does the Cafe offer that makes outside buyer protection unnecessary? The previous owner of my Mandobird requested a cashier's check via the postal service, which I sent with some small apprehension although the deal was worth the risk. I did my due diligence in communicating with the seller prior to sending the check, but what could the Cafe have done if I'd never received the mandolin?

Sure, the seller's account is linked to a email address and an (unverified) address is required when posting a classified listing, but other than trying to badger the seller and/or ban the account I'm not sure what other recourse this site would have. So caveat emptor. While I'm not a fan of PP's business practices, the security and convenience both as buyer and seller when not using "F&F" is worth the admittedly small fee.

Edit: a "small fee" I have only once negotiated as a buyer to split because of an instrument I really wanted, but otherwise the "buyer pays PayPal fees" is a no-go for me. The fee was built into the price of anything sold here or elsewhere.

C.
    I don’t think so, at least I can’t find multiple references. What I have said is that there is no advantage for the Seller using PayPal. The Buyer gets the guarantees that I think are not necessary on this site. The real advantage of PayPal is that a Credit Card can be used for a purchase from an individual seller who would not be able to process a Credit Card payment and this type of fee should be covered by the person getting the credit. Just my opinion.

Are you advocating PayPal used on every transaction? Do you really want to see this site gravitate towards an EBay-like model?

In allowing individuals (buyers) to use a credit card, it widens the market for sellers. Therefore, Paypal absolutely benefits sellers. Otherwise, as a seller, your market would be limited to those prospective buyers who had the actual cash to complete the purchase.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

23. The following members say thank you to Mandobar for this post:

Ever hear of negotiating? I sold an Epiphone guitar to Guitar Center. I wanted $250 for it. I knew the salesman would knock the condition and play the game of sighting down the neck etc., so when he asked what I wanted for it I said $350. He then played the game of pretending to check online and then explained they would sell the guitar for $399 and he offered me $260 for it, which I accepted, which was $10 more than I expected. I DON"T CARE if it is a game being played, a fee, a tax, etc., as long as I get my money, right? Same with buying as selling -- if you get what you want at the price you want, there is nothing to complain about. No need to play "lawyer" and say "they can't do that!" There is another old adage in business -- we reserve the right to refuse service to anyone -- in other words if you are too much of a horse's patoot, they might just pull the plug on ya and sell it to somebody else who is easier to deal with. That's what I would do. Think about it, if a guy complains about procedures and payment details, he's gonna be the first guy to complain about a scratch not mentioned or a high fret, or action or tone, then want to send it back. Life is simple. Read between the lines. Look at the big picture......

Quote Originally Posted by NursingDaBlues View Post
    For what it’s worth…

Great post, and I agree with you, but I do have a "what if" question.

Let's say I have a mando I want $1000 for, and I'm unwilling to negotiate at all.

So I post an add, and plainly state that the price is FIRM, and that I will not accept PayPal.

You, on the other hand, want my mando, but for whatever reason, want to use PayPal to complete the transaction. So you contact me and state you'll pay the $1000, but you want to use PayPal.

If I counter that I'll take it, only if you add $30 for the PayPal fees, am I then being unethical? I know that technically, I'm in violation of the PayPal agreement, but to my mind, I'm being honest and upfront to the buyer.

Thoughts?
    A quarter tone flat and a half a beat behind.

26. The following members say thank you to Austin Bob for this post:

List for $1+++ to cover your desired price plus PayPal fees plus whatever amount you'll donate to the Cafe. Negotiate on shipping. If the buyer is going to hand you cash you can either go down the $30 or walk away with a bit more than you expected. I'd just assume PayPal given the way things seem to be done and not throw an additional fee to a prospective buyer. I personally want to see and know the price is the price is the price. Maybe that's just me.
    Ryk
    mandolin ~ guitar ~ banjo

"I'm convinced that playing well is not so much a technique as it is a decision. It's a commitment to do the work, strive for concentration, get strategic about advancing by steps, and push patiently forward toward the goal." Dan Crary

Quote Originally Posted by Ryk Loske View Post
    List for $1+++ to cover your desired price plus PayPal fees plus whatever amount you'll donate to the Cafe. Negotiate on shipping. If the buyer is going to hand you cash you can either go down the $30 or walk away with a bit more than you expected. I'd just assume PayPal given the way things seem to be done and not throw an additional fee to a prospective buyer. I personally want to see and know the price is the price is the price. Maybe that's just me.
    Ryk
    In reality, I'd probably list it for $1,200, including freight. That way I could negotiate down to $1,100 and still have $50 for freight, $30 for PayPal, and $20 for the cafe (figures rounded).

But there are lots of people in this world who would rather have a root canal than negotiate a sale, because they think they'll always end up on the losing end.
    A quarter tone flat and a half a beat behind.

29. The following members say thank you to Austin Bob for this post:

Front Porch & Sweet Tea NursingDaBlues's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Austin Bob View Post
    Great post, and I agree with you, but I do have a "what if" question.

Let's say I have a mando I want $1000 for, and I'm unwilling to negotiate at all.

So I post an add, and plainly state that the price is FIRM, and that I will not accept PayPal.

You, on the other hand, want my mando, but for whatever reason, want to use PayPal to complete the transaction. So you contact me and state you'll pay the $1000, but you want to use PayPal.

If I counter that I'll take it, only if you add $30 for the PayPal fees, am I then being unethical? I know that technically, I'm in violation of the PayPal agreement, but to my mind, I'm being honest and upfront to the buyer.

Thoughts?
    I believe that you were quite explicit in your hypothetical ad. Price is firm and PayPal is not accepted. Some folks for some reason like to "push" in getting a concession of some sort. Then once one concession is obtained, for them the door is wide open to get more.

A polite but firm "I'm sorry but I don't take PayPal" should be all that you need to say.

Now if you have had the ad up for some time with no hits and you decide to go the PayPal route, simply take the ad down and then re-post with modified pricing and that PayPal is accepted.

This may occur to some to be overly simplistic, but that's how my mind works.

I don’t think so, at least I can’t find multiple references.
    If you say so friend. Here's the first:

Sending a check or a bank check puts you at the Sellers discretion, although with the added Security checks Scott provides that isn’t really an issue...Nobody on the Cafe is trying to screw anybody else, in my experience.
    The second was in my original quote, which is why I stated 'a couple times'. And now you just repeated it again.

The Buyer gets the guarantees that I think are not necessary on this site.
    But regardless of whether it was written once or a hundred times or was from the POV of a buyer or seller, my question is simple: What is this 'guarantee' or 'security' you mention as being provided by the Cafe? From the Classified's own posting guidelines:

We will not intervene on your behalf in a transaction gone bad if PayPal Friends and Family was used as payment.

Are you advocating PayPal used on every transaction? Do you really want to see this site gravitate towards an EBay-like model?
    Seriously? Nevermind. If this is how you interpreted my comments, there's no point in continuing this discussion. Have a nice day.

C.
    Northfield F5S Amber #347 - 'Squeeze'
    Mann EM-5 Hollow Body - Gimme Moore
    Kentucky KM-270 - Not just for whisky
    Flatiron 1N Pancake - Not just for breakfast
    Epiphone Mandobird IV - Djangly
    Cozart 8-string e-mando - El Ch(e)apo
    Lanikai LB6-S Banjolele (tuned GDAE) - Plinky and the Brane

I would just like to say PayPal saved my ass last year when I bought a Pickering XSV-3000 cartridge with an original stylus for my turntable & it arrived damaged. I called the store that was selling it & they & the dummy that worked there said it could take up to six months to get my money after they got it back. long story made short I called up pay pal they toll me to return it & 3 to 5 days later I got my money back. I think pay pal is a great service. if you do not want to play ball by the rules get the hell off the field.

33. The following members say thank you to mandolin tony for this post: