Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which mandolin to buy with my budget? (approx $700 USD)

Default Which mandolin to buy with my budget? (approx $700 USD)

First of all, let me just preface this by pre-emptively apologizing if these types of new threads are super annoying. I am new to this forum (e.g. 20 minutes ago) and dont know if the etiquette here permits me to ask for advice about which mandolin to buy.

So here's my story: I am a mandolin newbie, looking to buy my first ever mandolin. Very excited!

Basically, I've been doing some research, and in my price range of approximately $700 USD, the same 4 mandolins keep coming up:

- Kentucky KM 150 (seems generally quite a bit cheaper than the other 3 but don't know why)
    - Kentucky KM 500
    - Kentucky KM 505 (not sure of the difference between the 500 and 505)
    - Eastman MD 505

Which of these 4 mandolins would you folks recommend, and why?

And are there any others that you feel are glaringly obvious to consider, which have been left off my list?

Thanks!
    CN0
    Last edited by Cranial-nerve-zero; Jul-01-2018 at 7:20am.

Default Re: Which mandolin to buy with my budget? (approx $700 USD)

I have a Kentucky KM 150, KM 250, Eastman MD404 and just found a Kentucky KM 140. Needless to say, I like Kentucky's. I find myself drawn to the KM 150 the most due to it's tone and bark. The Eastman is VERY nice and is an oval hole, completely different sound to me, kinda a sweeter more melodic tone but it has a mahogany back which creates that sound. I listed a Kentucky up on the classifieds that I just don't play as much - nothing wrong with it, I just find that I gravitate to the KM 150 and the Eastman. The KM 140 that I just bought is for camping trips, it's a little cheaper of an instrument and is laminated on the back and sides, thus, I hope more friendly to the outdoor humidity. Like you, I read here before I starting trying to learn and the KM 150 was raved for beginners.....I jumped on one and that was a good decision. The major difference in the KM 150 and the KM 250 is a little bit of styling and the fretboard on the KM 250 is radiused (curved slightly) and some say it makes it easier to play. Through my research on here and Google, it seems that the KM 505 and the KM 250 are somewhat the same beast, once again, I am sure it boils down to the fit and finish but I have to say, my KM 250 is a purty (southern slang) mandolin to look at.

Good luck in your endeavors.

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cranial-nerve-zero View Post
    And are there any others that you feel are glaringly obvious to consider, which have been left off my list?
    You don't say where you're located, or what music you're interested in playing, but I generally think that a flattop makes a fine first mandolin. It does everything that a beginner needs -- hold tune, play comfortably, sound great -- and is only suboptimal in one area (chopping chords in a bluegrass jam) that a newbie isn't ready for yet anyway. Recommended brands often include names like Mid-Missouri/Big Muddy and Flatiron, but if I had your budget, I'd be interested in this one:

https://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/126299#126299

Instead of a factory piece produced overseas, that is a handmade instrument built by a talented independent luthier using the highest quality materials right here in the United States. It would make a fabulous starter and comfortably shift into the role of backup, travel instrument, or alternate voice when you're ready to add an archtop with f-holes for that jam.
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

4. The following members say thank you to pheffernan for this post:

Mandolins are constantly changing, so anyone reading this 6 months, 1 year or 5 years from now should do some research.

The current KM-500 and 505 are the same mandolins. It is just the finish that differs. Choose based on the look you prefer, or if you find a nice deal.

THe KM-150 is real close to the 500 series in tone. If you don't mind the slightly stripped down 150, and you don't have a preference for a radiused fingerboard, the KM-150 is generally the better value.

Eastman MD505. This is really in another range, at least in my opinion. Kentucky's sound great, but the Eastman is still a higher level mandolin.

If I were choosing, it would be between the KM-150 (due to the low cost) or the Eastman. If money was not a concern, I would get the Eastman.

Everyone will have different opinions here. All are nice mandolins, so there is no wrong answer.
    Robert Fear
    http://www.folkmusician.com

"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.
    " - Pete Seeger

Teacher, repair person

I had a 10 year old Eastman 505 pass through my shop on a trade late last year. It needed no repairs and only minimum adjustments to bring it to maximum playability standards. As far as the sound, it was good enough to gig with. It was an awful lot of mandolin for the money.

I don't know if the new ones are as good, but they are certainly worth checking into.

Flat top mandolins are worth looking into also. If they are old, be sure they are in good playing condition before you buy.

I am not up to date on the current Kentucky's.

Be wary of trends. What's popular one year may not be the next year, sometimes for good reasons.

We love rehashing these same old questions. That is a big part of why we are here. We want your mandolin experience to go well so we can sell you our mandolins when we upgrade. I started with an Eastman MD 505. It was a very well made mandolin. In the six months I had it, I got hooked, but I also started playing better mandolins. Don't go do such a thing if you want to stay happy with your mandolin. I'll say it again, don't go playing Webers or Collings, or Gibsons,nor any other handmade brand if you want to stay happy. Your KM150 or Eastman will be just fine if you can manage that.

Now if you just happen to be in Nashville........
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

Confused... or?
    Over the Hudson & thru the woods from NYC

Quote Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post
    We love rehashing these same old questions...
    ... so I'll rehash my same old answer:

If I absolutely, positively had to order a "moderately" priced mandolin (that is, budget-ish dollars + gig-worthy potential) in the next 3 minutes, without research, thinking, listening, or worry about lost future value, it would be a Kentucky KM-500/505, or related. (There was a similar 550 for a while, I think.) Just one fool's quick-draw opinion!

Nope, have never owned a Kentucky, but have tried enough to adequately impressed.
    - Ed

"Then one day we weren't as young as before
    Our mistakes weren't quite so easy to undo
    But by all those roads, my friend, we've travelled down
    I'm a better man for just the knowin' of you."
    - Ian Tyson

More where you get it from, than what you should get... does the shop do setup on every one they sell?
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

More important than what you buy, is where you buy it from. Mandolins, and most acoustic instruments in general, will need to be properly setup in order to sound their best and be easily playable. So you should concentrate your search with well known mandolin sellers who will do the setup for you before it leaves their shop.
    Robert of FolkMusician.com is one.
    Others recommended:
    themandolinstore.com
    elderly.com
    morganmusic.com
    fiddlersgreenmusicshop.com
    among others.

I really like the Kentucky KM-250 right now. I think it is the best buy under $500. Has a bunch of upgrades that the KM-150 does not have.

11. The following members say thank you to colorado_al for this post:

No one has posted the obligatory spend just a few hundred more answer, so I'll say your budget is close to a significant tonal upgrade, a used KM 900. These are mandolins that provide Big Bang for your buck. They come up for sale in the classifieds fairly frequently.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

No one has posted the obligatory spend just a few hundred more answer, so I'll say your budget is close to a significant tonal upgrade, a used KM 900. These are mandolins that provide Big Bang for your buck. They come up for sale in the classifieds fairly frequently.
    Big Big Bang, fore shore!
    2019 Tyler White custom F5 #17
    2012 Huss and Dalton RD-M
    2019 Gann resonator guitar

https://www.youtube.com/user/kinmanknives

Go flip hamburgers for a week or so at McDonalds and get an extra $200 and look for a nice KM-900 series Kentucky mandolin, can`t be beat for the money in my opinion. KM-900. 950 and 956 are great mandolins, I have never heard of a dissatisfied owner of one as yet, some do come up for sale now and then because the owners have too many mandolins and want to sell off some that they will get the best offers for...

Happy hunting....Willie

If you happen onto a used Kentucky KM-805, they are also a lot of mandolin for the money. I got mine in trade for a guitar that didn't fit me, I valued the guitar at $600, and the other person valued the mandolin at $600, and I think the price was very fair, and a good value.

Thanks you all so much for your advice. I really do appreciate the time you all take to answering my newbie questions. Hopefully I can pass on some of that karma one day by staying a member on this website.

Can you folks please answer three more questions for me?

(a) Do I want an A-style or an F-style for my first mandolin? Either way, why?

(b) Is there much difference in tone between an A-style and an F-style?

(c) I'm interested in the suggestion some of you had of going for one of the 900 series Kentucky mandolins. Is it absolutely crazy for me to spend upwards of $850 USD on my first ever mandolin?

Thank you again!
    CN0

A- You will get a better mandolin for your money if you go with an A style
    B- F style costs more because of the increased materials and time to make the scroll and points. There is not a difference in tone
    C- You don't need to spend that much on your first mandolin

A bit of clarification on Al’s post above. Both A and F styles come in oval (round) or ff sound holes. The mandolins mentioned in your original post are all ff holes. Oval hole instruments will have a different tone and are generally, but not always used for different genres of music. Assuming you are interested in arch top ff hole mandos, there is probably more difference in different brands (and in individual instruments) than A vs F styles. And yes, price of F style is much higher for the same guality........ hope that helps.
    Last edited by Mike Scott; Jul-03-2018 at 10:14am. Reason: Odd double post
    Thanks

Several mandolins of varying quality-any one of which deserves a better player than I am.......

20. The following members say thank you to Mike Scott for this post:

Spending more that $800 for a first mandolin isn`t crazy at all, a good mandolin will hold its resale value, if you go with an "el-cheapo" and things don`t work out or later on you want to go to a better quality instrument then you will have a hard time selling the cheaper one, I have been down that road myself as have most of us...In my opinion a KM-900 series Ky mandolin will always be easy to sell to a bluegrass picker...Great tone and fit and finish are great also...I have put mine up against a few of the high dollar A models and it didn`t have to take a back seat to any of them...I know of two persons that sold their high dollar A models and bought a KM-900 and had money in their pockets, it is your call and my advice is to try as many as you can and see what floats your boat...If you are located near the Maryland area I will be glad to let you try my KM-956 and see what you think...If this works send me a PM...

Oops, I now see that you stated that you were in rural Canada...Might be hard to find many mandolins to try way out there...

Good luck with whatever you decide on doing...

Willie

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

Um. . .

There's a walnut Mid-Missouri with HSC for $350 in the classifieds right now. Learn on that, save $20/mo and in a few years, you'll know what you want and have the Mid-Missouri on hand for the beach.

Planning. . .

f-d

NFI other than to avoid buying it myself. . . RIGHT NOW!
    ˇpapá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

If you were to buy a used 900, here are some benefits.

You will avoid losing money when you upgrade, and you will upgrade. Some upgrade two or three times to get to this level. Buy a 900 and you will probably get several years, and maybe forever from it.

Buying a nice instrument as a beginner and you'll want to play it more because it sounds and, yes, looks better. You will get better faster because you play more.

A used 900 will be worth what you paid for it, pretty much indefinitely.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

If you were to buy a used 900, here are some benefits.

You will avoid losing money when you upgrade, and you will upgrade. Some upgrade two or three times to get to this level. Buy a 900 and you will probably get several years, and maybe forever from it.

Buying a nice instrument as a beginner and you'll want to play it more because it sounds and, yes, looks better. You will get better faster because you play more.

A used 900 will be worth what you paid for it, pretty much indefinitely.
    Thank you very much for this advice!

3 more questions:

(a) How does a Kentucky KM900 compare with an Eastman MD805?

(b) I don't like the Sunburnt finish look. Do Kentucky KM900 series come in a classic finish?

(c) Most of you consistently recommend Eastmans or Kentuckies for my first mandolin. Do I need to be considering any other brands, or should I generally look no further than Eastmans and Kentuckies?

Thank you!
    CN0

Blog Entries

If you learn how to go thru other discussions here you will find similar questions. Maybe someone can make a link to one of them and then you can just click the underlined link.

Often the situation becomes a matter of trust. Eastman and Kentucky are big mass producers. Many folks have them. But getting a 'lemon' is possible. Smaller producers of hand made mandolins are not as well known, and fewer people have them. And there are fewer people that can reccomend them. The good news is that people here really know about them and can reccomend an outstanding value for the money.
    Decipit exemplar vitiis imitabile

The Kentucky KM-956 doesn`t have a sunburst, they are darker color than the 900`s and 950`s...Go onto Kentucky`s web site and look at the pictures and specs of all of the 900 series...I am not familiar t all with any Eastman mandolin...

Willie

J Bovier is another brand to consider...

I have an Eastman 315 that I bought on close-out at a big box store to use as a beater. It’s an exceptional mandolin for the $, but the 500 series does offer upgraded hardware, which, if I were buying my only mandolin, would be worth it. If this is your first mandolin, honestly, you won’t notice the difference, unless you’ve been playing other stringed instruments for a while.

Another name to consider is Sonny Morris. He builds flat tops in your range and his f holed A styles are near the extended budget you’re considering. He’s in the Pacific NW of the US, so, depending on where in the vast expanse of rural Canada you reside, a visit to his shop could even be possible.
    Chuck

I find that when shopping the used market, I kind of let specifics such as color fall by the wayside as part of the compromise of getting a value. Same thing with condition to some extent. I don't need pristine when my goal is to get the best bang for the buck. Yes, you might find what you are looking for, but 90% or more are sun bursts.

The 900 and above Kentuckys have been better TO ME than the higher end Eastmans like the 815.

The thing to remember, and I started with a 505, is your first mandolin is going to be the foundation of your development. It's an instrument you spend formative time with. Once you have a year in, you will have a benchmark to evaluate future instrument prospects. You'll know immediately how something you are playing differs, and if you like the difference. The neck might be chunkier, or the frets might be bigger, and you may or may not like the difference.

Your first mandolin, as good as you can afford, will provide this experience, and if you are very lucky, when you pick up that $5k mandolin, you'll think, nice, but I can do without it.

More likely not, but you'll know that extra 4K gets you a 10% better mandolin.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1