Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Old Craftsman Bandsaw

Default Old Craftsman Bandsaw

I have been very close to pulling the trigger on the Harbor Freight 14" bandsaw, but I just spotted this old Craftsman on craigslist. I know very little about bandsaws (other than bigger seems to be better). Description says 16.5" throat, but I read elsewhere that this model is 18". 220v and works great according to listing. Price is $400 (so basically the same as the new Harbor Freight 14").
    Does anyone have any experience with one of these? Any thoughts on the Craftsman vs the Harbor Freight one?
    It's about 2.5 hours away, so I'd basically be making an offer sight unseen. Pics below.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bandsaw.jpg 
Views:	4035 
Size:	76.6 KB 
ID:	169057Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bandsaw 2.jpg 
Views:	738 
Size:	62.6 KB 
ID:	169058Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bandsaw 3.jpg 
Views:	592 
Size:	57.8 KB 
ID:	169059Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bandsaw 4.jpg 
Views:	1105 
Size:	53.1 KB 
ID:	169060Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bandsaw 5.jpg 
Views:	458 
Size:	69.1 KB 
ID:	169061Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bandsaw 6.jpg 
Views:	440 
Size:	75.3 KB 
ID:	169062Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bandsaw 7.jpg 
Views:	745 
Size:	56.0 KB 
ID:	169063Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bandsaw 8.jpg 
Views:	415 
Size:	65.4 KB 
ID:	169064

Default Re: Old Craftsman Bandsaw

It's even farther away from me or I would say "stay away from it! It's trouble!" and then go buy it myself. (I could use another bandsaw about that size.)
    Since I'm so far away, I'd say grab it! At $400 it's a steal, IMO.
    I would not consider a Harbor Freight tool at a similar price if I had the choice between it and this one.

I don't know who made that saw for Sears, but it looks like a good, heavy old tool. Probably in need of quite a bit of set up work, but if well set up, should be a strong, reliable, accurate tool.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sunburst For This Useful Post:

WaltWoMando 

Thanks, John! That's endorsement enough.

Walt, John is spot on! It looks it needs cleaning and some set up but, it will be a great saw.

6. The following members say thank you to Skip Kelley for this post:

Walt 

Thanks, Skip. Unfortunately, I emailed him last night and it's already gone. This seems like one of those deals made for people who check Craigslist every few hours.
    Now I have to figure out whether to wait and see if another similar one will pop up. I've been looking, off and on, for about six months, and these old big bandsaws seem to be rare. I guess people never let them go unless they absolutely need the shop space.

You could look for a 14" Rockwell-Delta woodworking bandsaw (one speed, no gear box - for wood only). I bought mine in 1971 when I was building guitars and doing repairs in my store. They are bullet proof and, with a 6" riser you can re-saw 2 X 10's. Mine has a 1/2 hp Baldor motor and I run it on 240V.

In nearly 50 years of use, I've spent less than $50 on it for two new motor bearings and a set of rubber treads for the wheels. I use 3-4 skiptooth blades on mine.

They can be found used in the $400-500 range.
    1917 Gibson A-3, '64 Martin A, 2016 Rhodes F5R.

9. The following members say thank you to Zigeuner for this post:

Walt 

I think many of them come up for sale because the owner has passed. People tend to not get rid of tools like that.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

11. The following members say thank you to MikeEdgerton for this post:

Walt 

'Can't get enough old bandsaw stories!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN5065.jpg 
Views:	460 
Size:	488.0 KB 
ID:	169077  

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to j. condino For This Useful Post:

hankWalt 

Whoa! James What a bandsaw, your giving me BAS again. Matt, I had been trying to snag a nice old saw like that but the same thing happened to me. I just missed them or they were too far away or in such bad shape it would take a lot more than a setup to use. I finally bought a new Jet JWBS-15-3. 3hp on sale for Christmas at $1529.99 from CPO Outlets at Amazon. They have since gone up to $1800. I don’t know how much more these trade wars are gonna increase this price but anyone one the fence might take that into consideration.
    "A sudden clash of thunder, the mind doors burst open, and lo, there sits old man Buddha-nature in all his homeliness."
    CHAO-PIEN

15. The following members say thank you to hank for this post:

Walt 

Quote Originally Posted by Zigeuner View Post
    You could look for a 14" Rockwell-Delta woodworking bandsaw (one speed, no gear box - for wood only). I bought mine in 1971 when I was building guitars and doing repairs in my store. They are bullet proof and, with a 6" riser you can re-saw 2 X 10's. Mine has a 1/2 hp Baldor motor and I run it on 240V.

In nearly 50 years of use, I've spent less than $50 on it for two new motor bearings and a set of rubber treads for the wheels. I use 3-4 skiptooth blades on mine.

They can be found used in the $400-500 range.
    I lucked out finding a Rockwell for $250, a new blade and some setup and I was in business with accurate cutting with no vibration. Now it looks like I'm going to be replacing bearings, a new experience for me.
    Old Hometown, Cabin Fever String Band

17. The following members say thank you to jim simpson for this post:

Walt 

I love big ol' shop tools, too! I just missed out on an old California-made drill press that was about 6 feet tall, too late again. A Packard, I think....

19. The following members say thank you to Jeff Mando for this post:

Walt 

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

Mine was made by King-Seeley, it was a 1953 Craftsman bandsaw. Not such a heavy duty saw, it was a 12" throat, but cast aluminum IIRC on a stamped steel cabinet.

It was a workhorse and provided what I needed at the time, and I kind of miss that old saw.
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    ----------------------------------
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

----------------------------------
    HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff

21. The following members say thank you to Mark Gunter for this post:

Walt 

Old band saws are worth restoring if need be. Check to see if the blade tracks well, that the bearings run true, and that the motor works. Im a retired shop teacher and always had a Delta in the shop. With a little work you can get these things humming. I bought myself a Delta X5 band saw a few years back and it was a piece of crap. It took a lot of work to get it working well. The upper casting was machined wrong and I had to shim the upper wheel to run true. The warranty wasn’t worth much, and if I had to do it again i would look into a Jet or a Powermatic.

23. The following members say thank you to Phil-D for this post:

Walt 

Out of nowhere an old Rockwell Model 14 was just posted on my local FaceBook classifieds for $100. What are the odds? Just offered him asking price. It was listed 10 hours ago, so hopefully it's not already spoken for.

The Delta / Rockwell 14" bandsaws are a classic- they were in production with almost no changes for almost 50 years, so parts are readily available. Check out Louis Iturra's aftermarket catalog for lots of extras and info.

In the smaller bandsaw category, my number one favorite is the Walker Turner 16". It oozes with art deco style and has a 12"+ resaw capacity, so for most people it is all you will ever need, and they regularly sell for about $600 or less on the used market. Assembled, they weigh in at around 700lbs, but you can take it all apart and fit it into the back seat of a Subaru. Even though I have that giant Yates Y30 for my bass building needs, my 16" Walker Turner my favorite daily driver...especially on the days I have to buy blades- wait until you see the sticker shock of $250 for a 204" fancy carbide blade on the big saw!

j.

Name:	170.jpg 
Views:	1446 
Size:	1,004.9 KB 
ID:	169112  

26. The following members say thank you to j. condino for this post:

Walt 

Well, I missed the old Rockwell too! I replied 10 hours of the listing posted and I was still too late. I might have to take a more active approach to this, like checking out estate sales, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by grandcanyonminstrel View Post
    In the smaller bandsaw category, my number one favorite is the Walker Turner 16".
    James, that one looks awesome! I saw some smaller Walker Turner bandsaws on Ebay that look really neat. All local pickup of course, and way too far for me to think about driving.

OK, a Walker Turner was listed 2 days ago and it's only about two hours from my house. I just emailed the guy, so if my lucky streak continues it will have been sold moments before he reads my email.

Name:	Walker Turner.jpg 
Views:	413 
Size:	79.7 KB 
ID:	169123Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Walker Turner 2.jpg 
Views:	248 
Size:	116.1 KB 
ID:	169124Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Walker Turner 3.jpg 
Views:	190 
Size:	25.5 KB 
ID:	169125

That's the one to go for. Early circa 1939 square label, slow speed motor, war tag.....facetime me and I'll walk you through every thing you need to get it in top shape.Missing blade guard is easy to fabricate, single or three phase is fine as you can swap them out or add a vfd for 3 phase and then you'll have an unlimited speed control ( like on my big saw)....heirloom bandsaw.... I can resaw 12" on mine and with an $8 metal cutting blade I can cut 8" aluminum I beams; on the other end of the spectrum, I use a 1/8" blade for delicate scroll work.

If that one escapes you, head over to the owwm.com forum- a very nice group of old woodworking machinery nerds who can find anything for you at very reasonable prices, often right in your local neighborhood. I get 90% of my machines from folks I've met over there and almost all of the spare parts I need or other advice on rebuilds.

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to j. condino For This Useful Post:

That's the one to go for. Early circa 1939 square label, slow speed motor, war tag.....facetime me and I'll walk you through every thing you need to get it in top shape.Missing blade guard is easy to fabricate, single or three phase is fine as you can swap them out or add a vfd for 3 phase and then you'll have an unlimited speed control ( like on my big saw)....heirloom bandsaw.... I can resaw 12" on mine and with an $8 metal cutting blade I can cut 8" aluminum I beams; on the other end of the spectrum, I use a 1/8" blade for delicate scroll work.
    Thank you, James. I spoke to the owner and I'm picking it up on Saturday!!! I'll definitely take you up on your offer to FaceTime. I'll PM you once I get it back home and get some time to start working on it. My father-in-law (who'll be using the band saw too) is a machinist by trade, so he should be able to fabricate missing parts. I appreciate the help!

Congratulation nice saw Walt. I remember from my failed search an EBay store called Ozark Woodworkers that sells antique machinery shop manuals. Thank you James for the information and link to OWWN. I’m trying to get a slight shutter out of my used 14” Rigid. I added a 3/4”plywood table top to the base stand, a new belt and pulley alinement and cool blocks guides. I’ve been roughing up my little Rigid for the last year cutting metal in a van refurbish and it needed it’s own refurbish. The lower bearing replacement is next. So far the best blades for me have been TimberWolf silicone steel low tension blades for woodworking.
    "A sudden clash of thunder, the mind doors burst open, and lo, there sits old man Buddha-nature in all his homeliness."
    CHAO-PIEN

33. The following members say thank you to hank for this post:

Walt 

As a teenage kid I used to work at an old marina that specialized in ancient mahogany Chris Craft style boats and they used to build their own ships. I though to own a bandsaw meant that everyone had a giant old Crescent boat builder's angle saw, like the one shown below. Remember- that is a 9 foot tall, 2000lb machine, not some cute desktop. I still lust for that even though I have the old Yates Y30 with snowflake guards and I have no reason for the tilty. The Yates came out of the WACO biplane factory; approx. 3200lbs. Dale has the 20" version of it, at a cozy 1200lbs! Where is John Hamlett on this thread? He's an old tool nerd with a very cool big old American bandsaw; Spruce Bruce too.....

Old tool acquisition can be a dangerous slope, but the prices are still wonderfully low like buying a vintage guitar back in 1978. I bought a very cool art deco 1949 Delta Unisaw today, complete with the goose egg motor cover and all the goodies, from a guy a few blocks from my house, for the price of two decent sets of upright bass strings. Even with my $4k fancy sawstop, I still like having a vintage unisaw around. 'Seems like the only time I blow the sensor cartridge on the sawstop is at about 3am on Sunday when I desperately need to get a job finished and there is no help in sight until Monday, so the '49 is my backup and I'll use it for fret slotting and smaller blades instead of that crazy sawstop small blade flying antenna sensor bypass hack I showed off last year. My plan is to bolt the two tables together and gang them as one giant unit with two separate blade stations...

Name:	vintage crescent tilty ship builder's saw.jpg 
Views:	265 
Size:	19.8 KB 
ID:	169222   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	vintage unisaw.jpg 
Views:	164 
Size:	97.9 KB 
ID:	169223  

35. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to j. condino For This Useful Post:

...Where is John Hamlett on this thread? He's an old tool nerd with a very cool big old American bandsaw; Spruce Bruce too.....
    I'm up there with post #2 of this thread!
    I guess I need to take some more pictures of the 1927 Yates American bandsaw. I can't find the ones that I used to have.
    My Unisaw is not so old. IIRC, the serial number is from 1957 or '58, but it's basically a collection of chosen parts from 3 or 4 Unisaws that I've owned.
    Still haven't set up the new-to-me old 12" Crescent jointer. What a chunk of cast iron that thing is!

37. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sunburst For This Useful Post:

hankj. condinotreeWalt 

Must be too early. I was thinking of the angle set at Chris Crafts big saw for boat building was something like you would need for a giant staved bowl-back layout. I better get some coffee. I think I’m connecting the wrong dots.
    CHAO-PIEN

39. The following members say thank you to hank for this post:

Walt 

Old tool acquisition can be a dangerous slope, but the prices are still wonderfully low like buying a vintage guitar back in 1978.
    You're not kidding. I found the original catalog for the Walker-Turner bandsaw, and now I want to track down one of these to match:

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-07-06 at 6.14.59 PM.png 
Views:	174 
Size:	1,009.7 KB 
ID:	169231

I'm heading to Jackson, MS tomorrow to pick up the bandsaw. The owner said something that leads me to believe that there is some more older equipment out there. I'll try to post some pics.

James, that Delta unisaw looks killer. I love that art deco styling.

Does anyone have caster recommendations?

Speaking of boat-building saws, I came across of a video the other day showing the restoration of a giant ship saw. Pretty interesting stuff.

42. The following members say thank you to Walt for this post:

hank