Thread: Price difference of Kentucky KM-250's

Question Price difference of Kentucky KM-250's

I have read on Mandolin Cafe that the difference between a Kentucky KM-250, KM-252, and a KM-256 was the color. The Sega website shows that all three mandolins list for the same price, but different sellers sell the KM-252 for about $100 less than the other two. Does anyone know why?

Default Re: Price difference of Kentucky KM-250's

Maybe not selling as well and have excess inventory? I actually prefer the natural color of the KM252 vs the darker stains of the 250 & 256

3. The following members say thank you to colorado_al for this post:

This would just come down to the pricing the seller decides on. This can range all over the place. From full retail (rare) to at or below cost (not as rare as you would think).

Many of the big sellers have automated repricing, so if one site lowers the price, all the big sites match that price within minutes. This is why you may see several dealers with the same odd pricing.
    Robert Fear
    http://www.folkmusician.com

"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.
    " - Pete Seeger

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Folkmusician.com For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_al View Post
    Maybe not selling as well and have excess inventory? I actually prefer the natural color of the KM252 vs the darker stains of the 250 & 256
    Thanks for the input. I thought there maybe an issue with quality on the 252's.

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

I have the KM-254 that isn't made anymore. Name:  Mandolin.jpg
Views: 406
Size:  30.2 KB it has a smaller body than standard "A" style mandos. Do the KM-250, KM-252, and KM-256 also come with smaller body?

The newest (and pre 2007) KM-250 series mandolins are different than your KM-254. The new versions are larger.
    Robert Fear
    http://www.folkmusician.com

"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.
    " - Pete Seeger

Same situation with Seagull S-8–the Burnt Umber finish is usually $50 more than the “natural blonde” finish. Exact same specs otherwise. Seems obvious—a coloured finish is more expensive to produce. I guess.

Interestingly, Seagull’s recommended price for the version w built in pickup/preamp/controls, in the Burnt Umber, is only $20 more than the acoustic version. I’ve never seen an electric one though.