Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Good-bye old Mandolin Cafe

Default Re: Good-bye old Mandolin Cafe

Nice look Scott!
    ..... f5joe

Interesting. It runs faster for me!
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a vet.

Nice job, Scott!

Quite often I am on an Macbook Pro, using Safari. A few months ago the most recent 10 classifieds began to be really slow to load up. With the redesign, they load up immediately. Yahoo!!
    Russ Jordan

Thank you, Scott!
    Rush Burkhardt
    Rush Burkhardt
    Towson, MD

Free opinions are worth exactly what you pay for them!

Hey, looks good! I come here every day and love all the mando stuff. Now it will be even more fun!

Will there be new case stickers with the new look?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by indexless View Post
    Will there be new case stickers with the new look?
    No new stickers. The banner graphic will rotate monthly, or at least that's the plan.

Very nice work, no issues here.
    "Can I have a little more talent in the monitors please?"

Was away over the weekend so only saw the new look this evening, Scott. I like it a lot.
    I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order. - Eric Morecambe

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheOldBores

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

Noticed the new header right away. Very nice!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    And perhaps I am just missing where this is... I cannot seem to find any link to the Mandolin Archive.
    Bottom of the page.

I've hardly ever used the home page, as my time here is spent nearly entirely at the forum or the classifieds. The navigation there is easy, very user-friendly. Now I know how to shop for baseball caps! This has probably always been there, and I didn't know; I've lways searched. D'oh! (We could use a "D'oh" smiley. )
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

And perhaps I am just missing where this is... I cannot seem to find any link to the Mandolin Archive.
    Quote Originally Posted by journeybear View Post
    Bottom of the page.
    No that is the link to the archive for older posts from the forums at the bottom of the page. I was talking about mandolinarchive.com.

See post 19 where Scott explains:

Quote Originally Posted by Mandolin Cafe View Post
    It's right here, Jim.

Dan and Ted both have essentially retired developing their sites and told me if there was ever a redesign no need for those links.
    Last edited by Jim Garber; Jul-02-2018 at 11:17pm.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

12. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mandolin Cafe View Post
    The random MP3 player that rotated hourly was moved to the main MP3 page in place of the larger player which is still available in a pop-up window for those of you that used it. With Flash going out of style felt this was the best option.
    Hi Scott!
    As someone who landed on the home page before moving to the classifieds and the forum, I used the random MP3 feature a lot. I liked that anything could pop up, and I have discovered some new-to-me music that way.

I see that you have added Mandolin Mondays the the Happening Now tabs, could you also add the MP3 page so we can see new uploads to it?

Thanks for all these years of great work!
    Daniel

Blog Entries

It's still there, still updated 24/7/365 on the MP3 page which is linked to from every page on the entire site. Some of your own music is on there. In the redesign of the home page the player didn't make the cut. This could change of course and I'm already working towards some changes but that requires moving one of the advertisers off the page.

The MP3 player that was Flash based was replaced on the landing page by the individual posts with an HTML5 player (which is not Flash), but the old Flash player can still be accessed through a pop-up box on that page and will play somewhere in the neighborhood of 30-35 hours of continuous streaming mandolin music if you could stay awake and listen that long.

The tab space is maxed out on the home page. Adding another will cause it to overflow and decreasing the size of the text isn't a solution I think is appropriate.

Mandolin Cafe random MP3

15. The following members say thank you to Mandolin Cafe for this post:

hank 

Front Porch & Sweet Tea NursingDaBlues's Avatar

Mandolin Cafe continues to set the bar. Extremely user friendly. Easy on the eyes. Sensible changes. Very, very nice job.

The header is stunning. Scott, do you do the graphic design and photography? And is the header a duotone to give it such depth? Just curious.

Thanks for all you do, Scott. It’s appreciated!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NursingDaBlues View Post
    Mandolin Cafe continues to set the bar. Extremely user friendly. Easy on the eyes. Sensible changes. Very, very nice job.

The header is stunning. Scott, do you do the graphic design and photography? And is the header a duotone to give it such depth? Just curious.

Thanks for all you do, Scott. It’s appreciated!
    I don't consider what I do to be design work. I am not a designer, but I am married to one who guides me at times and is responsible for the better looking ads. I did, however, do about 99% of the new home page and the new site-wide look. The photo in the header is from Collings and was probably taken by Alex Rueb who has worked there as long as I can remember and does their web, marketing, photography and lots of other duties. It was of originally in color. I rotated it a bit, gray-scaled and changed the brightness and contrast and did a minor amount of photo manipulation to get what I wanted. The right side is less busy on purpose due to the rest of the site having a search form in that area and the forum has a login and member info requirement that should be free of too much going on visually.

I don't consider that header art to be long-term. Likely replaced by August 1 with something hopefully as appealing that honors the community we all are a part of.

You didn't ask, but I'm guessing people think the idea is just to make something visually appealing. Not the case, but it is important. My goal is to have something that supports what we try to do which is promoting people involved in music, specifically musicians, retailers, builders, workshop/camp owners and the like. Helping people and businesses financially has always been a key component. I get it that people don't like advertising, but it's very important to those businesses. The Cafe doesn't have 3/4 of our advertisers with us for over 10 years--some as many as 20+-- due to my sparkling personality and likability. That's a joke. They stay with us because we're providing positively to their growth as a business and their bottom line. That's important to them, and important to me.

Good example of positive change is yesterday's Mandolin Mondays, which I consider an important way to promote a lot of lesser known but fine musicians. Traffic grossly outperformed those of the past. I'll take promoting some lesser know, fine musician in that fashion every week.
    Last edited by Mandolin Cafe; Jul-03-2018 at 11:23am. Reason: mispelling

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mandolin Cafe For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

As someone who is currently working to set up a personal blog site, I salute your efforts and your results. There is much that looks easy and sounds easy, but isn't. The decisions and tradeoffs are difficult. And there are always maddening little things that mysteriously appear and jab you just when you think you finally have it pretty close to done. And they continue afterwards, too. The doodads, widgets, plugins always find a way to get in each other's face at inopportune moments. I can't imagine trying to herd all those cats for an endeavor that has to be commercially viable.

Congratulations on the new look, Scott. There is a lot more under the hood than meets the eye.
    New to mando? Click this link -->Newbies to join us at the Newbies Social Group.

Just send an email to rob.meldrum@gmail.com with "mandolin setup" in the subject line and he will email you a copy of his ebook for free (free to all mandolincafe members).

My website and blog: honketyhank.com

Ok, It’s faster, easier to see and use on my phone and really is small screen layout and ergonomic genius. I’ll eat crow knowing you’ll work some curves into all that rectilinear utilitarian layout.
    "A sudden clash of thunder, the mind doors burst open, and lo, there sits old man Buddha-nature in all his homeliness."
    CHAO-PIEN

This Kid Needs Practice Bill Clements's Avatar

Wouldn't it be great if everyone who read this thread kicked in $10 to the MC?
    Allow me...
    "Music is the only noise for which one is obliged to pay." ~ Alexander Dumas

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

No that is the link to the archive for older posts from the forums at the bottom of the page. I was talking about mandolinarchive.com.
    Oh. I see. All right. It makes more sense that I would misunderstand than that I would be better informed than you.
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

Looks great on desktop/laptop!

Home page is not quite rendering "Happening Now" cell correctly on my Android in portrait mode:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_2018-07-04-23-13-52-621_com.android.chrome.png 
Views:	51 
Size:	1.36 MB 
ID:	169183

But it does work correctly in landscape:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_2018-07-04-23-14-09-024_com.android.chrome.png 
Views:	72 
Size:	483.0 KB 
ID:	169184

Happy to test if you adjust and need screenshots.
    Thanks for your hard work on the site!