Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Good-bye old Mandolin Cafe

Default Re: Good-bye old Mandolin Cafe

Scott, you are on the path to creating the need for an archive of Cafe Headers.... if you really do intend to change them so often, and they are meant to be a tribute to all we love Mandolinistic, perhaps you need to think of an automatic archive thread, that records them as they go by.... similar to the Loar pic thread in the Vintage area
    John D

Blog Entries

Very NICE indeed, after so so many years "Great years" I like looking at something a bit different and yet still the same awesome site, the best on this thing called the WEB.

Wow! Fantastic new look. I had to look at the title bar to make sure that I was at the right place.
    Pete Braccio

"The Rules: Play nice and don't run with scissors"
    http://www.braccio.me
    Check out my web site for:
    Jack Tottle music files
    BBC Virtual Session files
    O'Neill's PDFs
    ITM Tunebooks, and more

I like it a lot. Great redesign, keeping it fresh. Good for all of us!

Is it my imagination, or is it also working faster?
    Purr more, hiss less. Barn Cat Mandolins Photo Album

Quietly Making Noise Dave Greenspoon's Avatar

Love the updated look!
    Axes: Eastman MD-515 & El Rey; Eastwood S Mandola
    Amps: Fishman Loudbox 100; Rivera Clubster Royale Recording Head & R212 cab; Laney Cub 10

What he said...what she said...nice job, Scott. Commendable...

Carpe Mandolinium

The new layout is really good. I especially like the fact that we see twice as many entries in ads, the forum, etc.
    == JOHN ==

Music washes away from the soul the dust of every day life.

--Berthold Auerbach

Peace. Love. Mandolin. Gelsenbury's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I look forward to the evolving show of mandolin eye candy in the header!

Is it ok to be honest about this? Scott I’m trying to like it but it’s too word busy to suit me. One big giant wordy page with good graphics and design taking a back seat and replaced with sale and photo candy. I know it pays the bills but unfortunately it looks like that’s all that’s left.
    "A sudden clash of thunder, the mind doors burst open, and lo, there sits old man Buddha-nature in all his homeliness."
    CHAO-PIEN

Hey, when we gonna get a Harmony Monterey headstock in the header? Or maybe a Hondo? All this Gibsonian stuff is probably intimidating our more impecunious members, dontcha think?

Seriously, I like what I see. I never go to the home page, just jump right into the fora, but the change here is quite pleasant.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

11. The following members say thank you to allenhopkins for this post:

I know how much work it is to run a website. Your work is greatly appreciated, Scott! Thank you .

This is a great, new look. But, what I really appreciate is the content of this site and how well it is managed. Everyone's on equal ground and there's plenty to gather from every day. That's one of the reasons I'm here every day. Thank you for all that you do!
    "If your memories exceed your dreams, you have begun to die." - Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by hank View Post
    Is it ok to be honest about this? Scott I’m trying to like it but it’s too word busy to suit me. One big giant wordy page with good graphics and design taking a back seat and replaced with sale and photo candy. I know it pays the bills but unfortunately it looks like that’s all that’s left.
    I thought the same at first glance Hank. Then I noticed there wasn’t any added “pop ups!! Larger ad graphics. With no pop ups! But the “happening now” list larger. (What I look at most) With no pop ups! I like it. And the times I want to visit an advertiser, I can find it on my phone a lot easier. With no pop ups! Thanks Scott. Two thumbs up!!!

PS, And did I mention that I love the fact that there are no “ pop up” advertisements!?!?!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by allenhopkins View Post
    ...I never go to the home page, just jump right into the fora, but the change here is quite pleasant.
    You post reminds me of a question I've had for a long time. Why on the MC is there no link to the home page -- save the kind of obscure "Mandolin Cafe" hyperlink at the very bottom of the page? One might expect a link to the home page on the banner with the Classifieds, Forum, Builders etc at the top of the page? Not that it is any big deal.........
    Bernie
    ____
    Due to current budgetary restrictions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off -- sorry about the inconvenience.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie Daniel View Post
    You post reminds me of a question I've had for a long time. Why on the MC is there no link to the home page -- save the kind of obscure "Mandolin Cafe" hyperlink at the very bottom of the page? One might expect a link to the home page on the banner with the Classifieds, Forum, Builders etc at the top of the page? Not that it is any big deal.........
    That's what the big image in the upper left corner of every page on the entire site does, links back to the home page. Its always been that way.
    Last edited by Mandolin Cafe; Jul-01-2018 at 2:52pm.

Looking good, Scott!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mandolin Cafe View Post
    That's what the big image in the upper left corner of every page on the entire site does, links back to the home page. Its always been that way.

OK thanks -- I think I have always been clicking on the mandolin with the "Mandolin Cafe" on it on the upper right. Never clicked on the head stock on the left. I've always just used the link at the bottom of the page.
    Bernie
    ____
    Due to current budgetary restrictions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off -- sorry about the inconvenience.

I like it! The added color and white space are a plus in my opinion. Even though it seems a little “ad-heavy” at first glance, it also tells the viewer that this is the place for all things mandolin related, and that’s a good thing. Really appreciate the site and what you do with it- carry on! 😁
    "If you hit a wrong note, then make it right by what you play afterwards." - Joe Pass

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie Daniel View Post
    OK thanks -- I think I have always been clicking on the mandolin with the "Mandolin Cafe" on it on the upper right. Never clicked on the head stock on the left. I've always just used the link at the bottom of the page.
    The right side was not a link, only about 40% of the top left banner was and always has been. Most sites on the internet use the top left logo as a link to the home page. Internet 101 basics employed by CNN, Washington Post, Fox News, Huffington Post, Instagram, Yahoo, YouTube, WikiPedia, amazon, about any site one may visit on the web. And Mandolin Cafe. There's no mystery other than a misunderstanding. Site has been like this pretty much since 1995.

21. The following members say thank you to Mandolin Cafe for this post:

Blog Entries

The area in red is a link to the home page on every page on the entire site except the Forum. On the forum the link starts about an inch further to the left because of the navigation at the top.

Name:  newbackground.jpg
Views: 303
Size:  30.2 KB

Blog Entries

The area in red is a link to the home page on every page on the entire site except the Forum. On the forum the link starts about an inch further to the left because of the navigation at the top.

Name:  newbackground.jpg
Views: 303
Size:  30.2 KB
    Thanks good to know.
    Bernie
    ____

Good work!

I like the 'clean uncluttered look' - less is often very much 'more',
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Sorry for the lack of notice but no sense in announcing these things to our mind. If your browser is functioning properly and hasn't cached a bunch of old stuff you'll notice there's a new look to the web site. Little change to the Forum, only the header art and background color. The home page, however, has changed quite a bit. If it does look the same, or something doesn't look right, hold down your shift key and hit refresh.

To address some obvious questions:

The Events Calendar info that has always appeared on the bottom of the main home page--it also appears on the bottom of every Forum page--didn't make the cut. Social media is a better fit in this moment in time and rather than have something with very little content I didn't feel it had a place there any longer.

The random MP3 player that rotated hourly was moved to the main MP3 page in place of the larger player which is still available in a pop-up window for those of you that used it. With Flash going out of style felt this was the best option.

The Classifieds remain untouched except for header art and a few random color changes.

Everything else has remained the same--site navigation was untouched. Everything you would have found on the old home page is still on the new one but has moved around.

In the future - the header art is likely going to change fairly often. Don't have a set schedule at this time but don't intend for it to be something we'll be looking at for years. A month, maybe. Idea there is to keep things fresh and honor that which we all enjoy: the instruments, the musicians, the history, etc.

As you delve deep into some of the archives you may see some of the old site header art and background. Those will be disappearing over the next few days as we hit some of those resources that have been around since the late 1990s.
    Nice job on the new look!
    It feels a lot more "open" and easier on my aging eyes.
    Great job!
    Doc Ivory
    -Play loud, live long..

Blog Entries

Clean and tasty new pages, like a good solo. I also like how the banner artwork will cycle. Who wants the same solo over and over again?

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +