Blog Entries

Default Ronnie McCoury on Eastman?

Scrolling through the Eastman Artists page, I found this:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ronnie on Eastman.JPG 
Views:	553 
Size:	136.4 KB 
ID:	169013

Anybody care to comment? I could see it if it were an auxiliary instrument like a guitar or octave mandolin, but that's the same 515 I play. Could they not even hook him up with the 915?

2. The following members say thank you to Drew Streip for this post:

Default Re: Ronnie McCoury on Eastman?

I assume that a lot of the pros try different brand mandolins when they visit a shop that sells all models and someone just took that photo of Ronnie, When I visit a shop I play every mandolin that is on display, of course I am not a star so no one has ever taken my picture with one....

Willie

4. The following members say thank you to Willie Poole for this post:

I think it just goes to show the 515 is a fine, playable mandolin for the masses, and enjoyable for all players, even Ronnie. No ego involved.

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Luna Pick For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Willie: This is specifically written by Eastman to imply that Ronnie McCoury regularly plays an Eastman 515 as a primary instrument.

While I agree with Luna Pick about the quality, and while I don't get the impression that Ronnie has much of an ego...

I don't think we'd ever see him putting down the Gilchrist or his Loar in favor of the 515 (unless he needs an instrument specifically for bad-weather gigs).

We know that Giacomel and Dawg authorized the Eastman copies, but did Dawg ever actually play one on the road?

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Drew Streip For This Useful Post:

I totally agree with Drew. The implication re. Ronnie McCoury is misleading,& may very well be for all the musicians photographed holding an Eastman instrument. I can't say that it's deliberately 'dishonest',but i view all such claims by any large manufacturer as 'iffy',
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

10. The following members say thank you to Ivan Kelsall for this post:

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

There's nothing on that page that indicates that these artists use the pictured instruments as their main axe.

The page indicates that they love "Making instruments for a large variety of artists in a wide range of genres" and that their "favorite artists" enjoy their instruments.

I'd assume these companies compensate artists for the use of their photos, and I don't know but I imagine there are many levels of "sponsorship deals" allowing them to use these photos - as long as they don't make baseless claims - maybe even some as insignificant as presenting the artist with a gift instrument, and obtaining a signed release on the photograph. If anyone is more curious about the facts of it, ask Ronnie. He probably would respond to a letter.
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    ----------------------------------
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

----------------------------------
    HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mark Gunter For This Useful Post:

A few banjo player were playing some Stelling banjos on festival shows to showcase and advertise for Stelling and all of them went back to their original banjos after a short period of time, the ones that I know of were Ralph Stanley, Eddie Adcock, Chris Warner and I think Bill Emerson, so it is not uncommon for a pro to feature a different instrument but I`ll bet a dollar to a donut that Ronnie never played the Eastman at any of their big shows...

Now I want a doughnut!
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Timbofood For This Useful Post:

Don't forget Bill Monroe's Ibanez endorsement. Several pics of him and band members playing Ibanez instruments. My theory has always been that a Monroe tour of Japan was underwritten by Ibanez, and Monroe posed with an Ibanez mandolin in exchange. Perhaps he played Ibanez, or some band members did, in Japan.

I have no real evidence source for this, other than dimly-remembered discussions at the time. I do remember seeing Ibanez ads with Monroe pictured playing an Ibanez F-model mandolin.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

dammit, me too…!

Ralph Stanley did play a Stelling banjo for quite a while - however,he had his own brand, the ''Stanleytone' banjos,so it was more important to 'push' them for sales. Bill Emmerson,as far as i know still plays his trademark Stelling ''Red Fox''. Eddie Adcock was playing a Stelling prior to him having the brain op.to cure his right hand tremor. As with all top pickers,i suspect he has a choice of banjos,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Not that unusual. Tacoma did a similar thing when they introduced the Papoose. Ads showed folks like GE Smith and Norman Blake holding one. Didn't mean either owned or played it, though.

No plans on getting rid of my Eastman octave because of the ad, that's for sure.
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Flatiron 1N, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723

20. The following members say thank you to Eric Platt for this post:

I could be mistaken, but I seem to remember a Flatiron brochure in the 80's with DAWG playing a Flatiron Army-Navy model with an "I love these mandolins..." quote/caption. Never saw him play one at a show though.
    ========================
    2012 Gibson F5 Master Model
    2019 Northfield F5 Artist 5 Bar
    2019 Northfield Arched Octave Maple
    2020 Northfield F5 4.0

I see it as just being an advertisement that associates a famous player with their product. What that may or may not infer to the reader is subjective, but it sells mandolins. Ronnie McCoury may well own an Eastman mandolin. He may even play that mandolin, sometimes. Is it his main rig? Probably not. I do know that he held one once. I saw the picture.
    "Mongo only pawn in game of life." --- Mongo

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to F-2 Dave For This Useful Post:

I saw Ronnie last night, it looked like he was playing a Michael Kelly, lol! It looks like his Gilchrist to me. Great show with The Travellin' McCourys, The Dawg and Del for a 3 plus hour show!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Travelin’ McCourys.jpg 
Views:	230 
Size:	566.4 KB 
ID:	169091  
    Old Hometown, Cabin Fever String Band

25. The following members say thank you to jim simpson for this post:

Saw him a couple of months ago in a small venue and he was playing his Gilchrist that David Grisman gave him.

Quote Originally Posted by allenhopkins View Post
    Don't forget Bill Monroe's Ibanez endorsement. Several pics of him and band members playing Ibanez instruments. My theory has always been that a Monroe tour of Japan was underwritten by Ibanez, and Monroe posed with an Ibanez mandolin in exchange. Perhaps he played Ibanez, or some band members did, in Japan.

I have no real evidence source for this, other than dimly-remembered discussions at the time. I do remember seeing Ibanez ads with Monroe pictured playing an Ibanez F-model mandolin.
    I don't have the book any more but in Bob Black's "Come Hither to go Yonder" he recounts something along those lines.

28. The following members say thank you to Tony Dillingham for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by tbown View Post
    I could be mistaken, but I seem to remember a Flatiron brochure in the 80's with DAWG playing a Flatiron Army-Navy model with an "I love these mandolins..." quote/caption. Never saw him play one at a show though.
    Probably this one:

Name:	FFB329A4-C5E3-4F8B-9A07-400A66DFFDCF.jpg 
Views:	197 
Size:	615.6 KB 
ID:	169127

Source:

Name:	2DC972EA-BEDE-4216-B4C9-D8184354F735.jpg 
Views:	178 
Size:	645.9 KB 
ID:	169128

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Willie Poole View Post
    A few banjo player were playing some Stelling banjos on festival shows to showcase and advertise for Stelling and all of them went back to their original banjos after a short period of time, the ones that I know of were Ralph Stanley, Eddie Adcock, Chris Warner and I think Bill Emerson, so it is not uncommon for a pro to feature a different instrument but I`ll bet a dollar to a donut that Ronnie never played the Eastman at any of their big shows...
    Don Reno played his Stelling regularly. He played it so regularly that he put a hole in the head.

Actually Stelling and Deering banjos are both often seen on stage, they both make respectable banjos and with Gibson out of the banjo market, they are the most well known names. That said, I could never play a Stelling, they're way too heavy for my back. Sound good tho.
    -- Don

"Music: A minor auditory irritation occasionally characterized as pleasant."
    "It is a lot more fun to make music than it is to argue about it."

2002 Gibson F-9
    2016 MK LFSTB
    1975 Suzuki taterbug (plus many other noisemakers)
    [About how I tune my mandolins]
    [Our recent arrival]

Quote Originally Posted by vetus scotia View Post
    Probably this one:

Name:	FFB329A4-C5E3-4F8B-9A07-400A66DFFDCF.jpg 
Views:	197 
Size:	615.6 KB 
ID:	169127

Source:

Name:	2DC972EA-BEDE-4216-B4C9-D8184354F735.jpg 
Views:	178 
Size:	645.9 KB 
ID:	169128
    Very likely this, which is indeed from a Flatiron brochure I will post the entirety of one day. Same pic and quote, but it includes bonus endorsements from many other well known pickers!

Name:	Flatiron PDF_2.png 
Views:	186 
Size:	10.78 MB 
ID:	169133

Gotta say, I don't know which of the "What they play" header at Eastman or Dawg's "I wish I'd had one when I started" statement is more confusing as to what each player actually thinks of the respective instrument.

C.
    Northfield F5S Amber #347 - 'Squeeze'
    Mann EM-5 Hollow Body - Gimme Moore
    Kentucky KM-270 - Not just for whisky
    Flatiron 1N Pancake - Not just for breakfast
    Epiphone Mandobird IV - Djangly
    Cozart 8-string e-mando - El Ch(e)apo
    Lanikai LB6-S Banjolele (tuned GDAE) - Plinky and the Brane

Blog Entries

The "deception" goes a step further in some cases. Some rock guitarists for example, may get a guitar made perfectly to their specs and desires, quirks and preferences, by some uber luthier they trust and work with. Then the guitar is made to look like a more or less off the shelf model from the manufacturer who pays the highest bid to sponsor the artist.

I read that here on the cafe (so it must be true) and then I checked with an acquaintance of mine in an industry peripheral to the rock and roll performance, who corroborated the story. Anyway, I have no reason to doubt it.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

In at least one case, he played an Eastman on stage that was given away as a Delfest raffle on a song with Del to help sell raffle tickets. I can't recall him doing it the last few years, but I'd guess there was some connection from their sponsorship at Delfest where hey have a tent and generally give away an instrument.

--

I remember one year at the DF Academy he borrowed someone's older Washburn played it for a bit and said "I'd play that on stage."

I think he can probably make most well-set-up instruments sound fairly good.

I just emceed a bluegrass festival here in NC, and Ronnie turned to me and said "this here Eastman puts my Gilchrist to shame!" His band mates agreed.

Now that I have your attention..........Ronnie was playing his Gilchrist, as he has every time I have introduced the McCourys at MerleFest. While Eastman no doubt makes a serviceable instrument, guys of THAT caliber know what tone is, and it often is from Australia. I would love to see him with his Loar in public, but it hasn't happened yet.

If I see him pull any other brand out of a case, I will let you guys know promptly. For the record, my mando buddies made sure I gave a report back afterwards as to Ronnie's choice for the evening. And yes, it did sound great.

35. The following members say thank you to zookster for this post:

I was backstage at a Ralph Stanley show years back. I overheard someone talking to Stanley, noting that Ralph was playing a Stelling now and asking how he liked it. Ralph replied, "I'll show you what I like about it", opening the case and indicating the the extra long accessory compartment that ran the entire length of the neck. He opened the lid to the compartment and said, "See, I could never fit a fifth of Crown Royal in any other banjo case".
    too many strings

37. The following members say thank you to musicofanatic for this post:

Blog Entries

Considering we don't have the facts on how or why a mandolin celebrity is on the official Eastman page (I'm pretty sure the legal teams would be involved if it wasn't cool) don't read anything more than what the text says, "Making instruments for a large variety of artists in a wide range of genres is a labor of love. Nothing makes us happier than seeing our favorite artists enjoying our instruments as much as we do." That's not a statement of where he plays it or anything. It's also not in an ad on FB or anywhere for marketing. We don't know if Ronnie was compensated for it.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

39. The following members say thank you to JEStanek for this post: