Thread: Maggie May - tutorial

Default Maggie May - tutorial

2. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to maplebaby For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Default Re: Maggie May - tutorial

Highly cool. If you're into playing Rod Stewart mando songs, dig this...

https://youtu.be/PeT08B8iMDY
    We are the music makers,
    And we are the dreamers of dreams

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Moss View Post
    Highly cool. If you're into playing Rod Stewart mando songs, dig this...

https://youtu.be/PeT08B8iMDY
    thanks Roger...greatly appreciate you checking this out and the link!

Are you in cleveland?

Quote Originally Posted by cap217 View Post
    Are you in cleveland?
    i'm not but love the city and get to visit fairly often!

Wow. Thank you. I’ve been playing this but much simpler. You’ve provided a lot of info!

============
    ~Music self-played is happiness self-made
    ——————————
    Loar LM-590
    Kentucky KM-272

I have been working with this video, i know its for the guitar, but i like to see the chords and hear the music playing, so i just try and play along, but one thing i am struggling with is the f#m chord, i am not quite sure what it is, but if i am doing it right its a very hard chord for a newbie, anyone got an easier chord to use or replace it? yeah i know its cheating, but hey if it gets me moving i can work on it..thanks for any advice.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8yNPgqByMo

You could try it as second fret G fourth on d and a mute the e.

Quote Originally Posted by sonic View Post
    You could try it as second fret G fourth on d and a mute the e.
    Thanks Sonic, how do you mean mute the e? sorry but i am only two weeks into playing

Ok I am not exactly an expert myself but I have learned a few chord shapes that suit my ability.
    I play it with my first finger on the G second finger across both d and a strings. You can use your ring finger too but I have big fingers.
    Then either rest the pad of your second finger or tip of ring/little finger lightly on the e string. You just want to touch it not press down hard enough to fret (get a note). You get a bit of sound but it will be covered when strumming the whole chord. Saves you trying to play just three strings although that is something to practice.

12. The following members say thank you to sonic for this post:

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

Quote Originally Posted by Dean Campbell View Post
    I have been working with this video, i know its for the guitar, but i like to see the chords and hear the music playing, so i just try and play along, but one thing i am struggling with is the f#m chord, i am not quite sure what it is, but if i am doing it right its a very hard chord for a newbie, anyone got an easier chord to use or replace it? yeah i know its cheating, but hey if it gets me moving i can work on it..thanks for any advice.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8yNPgqByMo
    I'm not sure of some things here ... like, "easier chord to use or replace it"? Can you tell us what F#m chord you are playing, than maybe we can tell you what some replacements would be. I assume you are playing the one that maplebaby shows in his tutorial, but I don't want to assume too much, since you are referencing a different video with nothing but chord names.

Another thing that confuses me is that you do not state that you are having trouble with the Em chord. If you are not having trouble with the Em, then you should not have trouble with F#m. These would be the same chord shapes. Slide Em up two frets and you have F#m. Only thing is that if you are allowing the low, open G to ring out while playing Em, then you either have to fret the G course for F#m or you have to skip it and only play the D, A and E strings.

Em x223
    F#m x445

Em 0223
    F#m 2445

Em 4223
    F#m 6445

Those three pairs are analogous pairs of chords in the family of the chord shapes that maplebaby uses in his tutorial. You can "mix & match" among the pairs as it suits you. For a beginner, easiest might be the first pair.

There are many ways to play Em and F#m in other places around the neck whether partial or fully voiced, but I am wondering where you are having the big problem. Perhaps you just need a whole lot of practice. You are only two weeks into playing? Best advice to you may be keep practicing, you've got this.
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    ----------------------------------
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff

14. The following members say thank you to Mark Gunter for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Gunter View Post
    I'm not sure of some things here ... like, "easier chord to use or replace it"? Can you tell us what F#m chord you are playing, than maybe we can tell you what some replacements would be. I assume you are playing the one that maplebaby shows in his tutorial, but I don't want to assume too much, since you are referencing a different video with nothing but chord names.

Another thing that confuses me is that you do not state that you are having trouble with the Em chord. If you are not having trouble with the Em, then you should not have trouble with F#m. These would be the same chord shapes. Slide Em up two frets and you have F#m. Only thing is that if you are allowing the low, open G to ring out while playing Em, then you either have to fret the G course for F#m or you have to skip it and only play the D, A and E strings.

Em x223
    F#m x445

Em 0223
    F#m 2445

Em 4223
    F#m 6445

Those three pairs are analogous pairs of chords in the family of the chord shapes that maplebaby uses in his tutorial. You can "mix & match" among the pairs as it suits you. For a beginner, easiest might be the first pair.

There are many ways to play Em and F#m in other places around the neck whether partial or fully voiced, but I am wondering where you are having the big problem. Perhaps you just need a whole lot of practice. You are only two weeks into playing? Best advice to you may be keep practicing, you've got this.
    Hiya Sonic and Mark..
    firstly let me apologise for hijacking this thread, i am really sorry,
    I think my problem has been that i was trying to work from two sources. i started off with the one by Maplebaby, then went to another one source for chords and stuff..
    I thought an F#m was the first finger fretting the middle strings at fret 3, the middle finger fretting the E string at fret 4, then the third finger reaching right over to the G string on fret 5....and this i found impossible, now i see on the maplebaby video that i am completely wrong,
    please accept my apologies but i am a newbie

Hiya Sonic and Mark..
    firstly let me apologise for hijacking this thread, i am really sorry,
    I think my problem has been that i was trying to work from two sources. i started off with the one by Maplebaby, then went to another one source for chords and stuff..
    I thought an F#m was the first finger fretting the middle strings at fret 3, the middle finger fretting the E string at fret 4, then the third finger reaching right over to the G string on fret 5....and this i found impossible, now i see on the maplebaby video that i am completely wrong,
    please accept my apologies but i am a newbie
    There’s no need for an apology. If you don’t ask you won’t learn. I have just tried the fingering in the attached photo. I don’t think I could get it at a reasonable speed. Not without a lot more practice. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2B3DA3F4-5577-46CA-A411-2C6FD2831285.png 
Views:	285 
Size:	844.8 KB 
ID:	174110

17. The following members say thank you to sonic for this post:

I thought an F#m was the first finger fretting the middle strings at fret 3, the middle finger fretting the E string at fret 4, then the third finger reaching right over to the G string on fret 5
    You're describing an Fm chord, not an F#m.

Fm = 5334
    F#m = 6445

There’s no need for an apology. If you don’t ask you won’t learn. I have just tried the fingering in the attached photo. I don’t think I could get it at a reasonable speed. Not without a lot more practice. Click image for larger version. 

sonic, if you've only "just tried it" then that is to be expected. In my nomenclature (post #11 above) the Em chord you show in your diagram is charted as 4223 - it can be a bit tricky to learn, but is one voice of Em with B in the bass. Like all chording, learning to grab the shape smoothly and change on time, etc. does not just come naturally for anyone I know. maplebaby's tutorial teaches 0223 or x223 for E minor, and x445 for F#m.

- YouTube Stuff

19. The following members say thank you to Mark Gunter for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Gunter View Post
    You're describing an Fm chord, not an F#m.

Fm = 5334
    F#m = 6445

sonic, if you've only "just tried it" then that is to be expected. In my nomenclature (post #11 above) the Em chord you show in your diagram is charted as 4223 - it can be a bit tricky to learn, but is one voice of Em with B in the bass. Like all chording, learning to grab the shape smoothly and change on time, etc. does not just come naturally for anyone I know. maplebaby's tutorial teaches 0223 or x223 for E minor, and x445 for F#m.
    I am a not going to claim to be the most accomplished player. But I can get my fingers cleanly quite a few chord shapes easily enough. However my fingers didn’t want to bend that way. I have no doubt with enough practice I could get it , but it ain’t no newbies chord

21. The following members say thank you to sonic for this post:

Peace sonic, I'm not knocking you, and don't mean to say that it's a 'newbies chord' - just saying that any chord is tough to learn when a person first tries it. Teach a beginner to play chords - any chords - and maybe you'll see what I mean. That's no shade on you or anybody else. I can imagine that playing chords easily right off the bat for some people might be a reality, but not for any of the people I know personally in 64 years.

- YouTube Stuff

23. The following members say thank you to Mark Gunter for this post:

formerly Philphool Phil Goodson's Avatar

I am a not going to claim to be the most accomplished player. But I can get my fingers cleanly quite a few chord shapes easily enough. However my fingers didn’t want to bend that way. I have no doubt with enough practice I could get it , but it ain’t no newbies chord
    Sonic, just play F#m by ignoring the E string. Index fingertip on 4th fret of two middle strings and your middle finger on the 6th fret of the G string.

This gives you a usable "power chord" as guitarists say. This usually sounds like EITHER the F#m OR the F# major chord in context. (There is no 3 note to define the minor). This won't sound great in ALL songs, but is easy and very useful in most songs. And it's movable to make other similar chords.
    Phil

“Sharps/Flats” “Accidentals”

25. The following members say thank you to Phil Goodson for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Philphool View Post
    Sonic, just play F#m by ignoring the E string. Index fingertip on 4th fret of two middle strings and your middle finger on the 6th fret of the G string.

This gives you a usable "power chord" as guitarists say. This usually sounds like EITHER the F#m OR the F# major chord in context. (There is no 3 note to define the minor). This won't sound great in ALL songs, but is easy and very useful in most songs. And it's movable to make other similar chords.
    now that sounds like a much easier way to play it, thanks i will give that a try

27. The following members say thank you to Dean Campbell for this post:

Also in the way of a three-string F#m (in addition to x445, which maplebaby uses in his tutorial) is 244x which has the flat third, the root and the fifth. Played with index on G string second fret, and middle finger on the 4th fret of the two middle strings. That will give the minor sound, when preferred. So here are three versions for a newbie to try:

x445
    644x
    244x

Good learning value in trying all of them.

- YouTube Stuff

29. The following members say thank you to Mark Gunter for this post:

thanks for all the discussion...glad this post may help someone!

What app is this?
    Follow the Flatt Stanley Incident on Facebook

Listen to original tune "When You Fly" by my old band The Kindreds

Quote Originally Posted by RobP View Post
    What app is this?
    i have no idea

Quote Originally Posted by RobP View Post
    What app is this?
    Chord Calculus on IPhone, I don’t know if they do an android version too.
    It is fairly simple to use, but can give out a few unplayable chords. At least not without Stretch Armstrong’s hands.

i guess i'm old school...never liked learning from apps.