Thread: block wood other then mahogany

Default block wood other then mahogany

I am starting another build, but have not done one in a number of years. I have a piece oh Hon. Mahogany somewhere but cannot find it, and where I would go to get it is not around the corner. I found a piece of maple, 8/4, but am not sure how absolute this is. thanks P S, I found out building an instrument, is like tying flies, someone would suggest you need for a particular flie, hair from a grizzy bears hind end ( preforebly alive), for its eyelashes,lol
    Mike Marrs

Default Re: block wood other then mahogany

You can use any wood for blocks. Mahogany has some nice properties but you can get close with a lot of other species. Spanish cedar and lighter weight walnut are ones I've used and liked for the same reasons the old fellas used mahogany: light-ish, machinability, and dimensional stability.
    A great wood to use for blocks these days is the Whitewood (latex rubber wood) used in a lot of cheap furniture. It's similar to Honduras mahogany in everything but appearance.

thanks Marty, i did find some Mah. but it is 4/4
    Mike Marrs

I have used walnut, mahogany, and cedar for both A and F style blocks and points. I use 3/4 inch stock and cross grain the two pieces glued together. I've even put 1/8 inch maple between. Grain direction is still important though....
    kterry

I may be old but I'm ugly billhay4's Avatar

I recommend laminated blocks. Stronger, less likely to split. You can use smaller scraps and can laminate different species for strength and weight. Laminate with grains in different directions. Use an odd number of laminates.
    Bill
    IM(NS)HO

6. The following members say thank you to billhay4 for this post:

Zoomp 

thanks bill, that is what I am going to do
    Mike Marrs