Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Apitius or Collings?

Default Apitius or Collings?

Which mandolin should I get if I don't have a chance to hear either. I'm interested in the mf5 and apitius' vanguard and classic models

Though I haven't played mandolin in years, I just want to get back into it. Would I be making a bad decision by going with one of these expensive models?

Default Re: Apitius or Collings?

You wouldn't make a mistake going with either. Obviously if your considering these you have the financial resources. I don't know how long the waiting period is for one from Oliver. That's about the only thing that would influence my decision if it was me.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

3. The following members say thank you to MikeEdgerton for this post:

FWIW
    I have not ever played an Apitius, but I do have a 2009 Collings MT2V. It has a Red Spruce top and hard maple back. The fit and finish are quite remarkable. Tone is warm, but powerful. It responds well to both a light touch in the evening, and a hard pounding to pull out the strong Chords when desired.
    I would be VERY hardpressed to ever part with it.
    I would say you wouldn’t go wrong having either of them.
    Eric Hanson
    Click #016/ Born on 2/29/08 - Sold to the next Conservator of this great mandolin!
    The search has ceased! (At least for now)
    Collings A-Style
    White #29R : Oh my!! This one is so AWESOME!!

5. The following members say thank you to Eric Hanson for this post:

Do you think there's a difference in the collings mandos that were made in 2009 and the ones made now?

mandolin slinger Steve Ostrander's Avatar

They are both great mandolins, but I would never spend the kind of money you are talking about without hearing and playing. Because I would always wonder....
    Living’ in the Mitten

8. The following members say thank you to Steve Ostrander for this post:

well apitius would have to make it and the closest shop that has any good mandolins is a 5 hour drive away

Registered User Michael Neverisky's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jdavani View Post
    Though I haven't played mandolin in years, I just want to get back into it. Would I be making a bad decision by going with one of these expensive models?
    My $.02, buy a used Collings which will hold it's value if things don't work out. I observed recently that my Collings has a retail price today which is $1k higher than when it was purchased.

11. The following members say thank you to Michael Neverisky for this post:

yeah but don't you think the same can happen with apitius? and why do you think collings would still go up?

I think that the new Collings come with the Collings vintage style cases. That could be the reason for the increased price as the new cases are about $800. .

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tom Sanderson For This Useful Post:

Just another opinion. One of the best sounding mandolins I've heard among many is the Apitius that belongs/belonged? to Pete Frostic, formerly of Old School Freight Train. As I say I don't know if he still owns it or not, but it certainly stood out to my ears when I listened to that band. If you can get a chance to hear them you will hear what I mean.

16. The following members say thank you to dorenac for this post:

https://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/125275#125275

What do you guys think of this?

Can't really help you with your decision but that mandolin is gorgeous. I like the fact it has something different and subtle for the inlay. My Grandparents were wheat farmers so always thought if I ever had a mandolin built I might like to have a wheat inlay. Here is a varnish Collings that seems like a decent price -
    https://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/126083#126083

And to confuse you more this Duff seems to be a good value?
    https://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/125071#125071

19. The following members say thank you to Northwest Steve for this post:

I was at Carters in Nashville yesterday and played an incredible variety of Mandolins. Every Collings was consistently good, so I don’t think you can go wrong with a Collings in any way shape or form. Buy used and your investment is secure.

That said, the one mandolin that surprised me was the Apitus that is currently in stock at Carters. Amazing tone and sustain.

I wouldn’t buy a Mandolin that expensive without playing it for hours—I think a 5 hour drive is a solid investment of your time

21. The following members say thank you to Scott R for this post:

I was looking at that apitius online. do you think it was as good as an mf5?

oh now i can't decide between two collings and an apitius lol

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Sanderson View Post
    I think that the new Collings come with the Collings vintage style cases. That could be the reason for the increased price as the new cases are about $800. .
    The new case comes with f hole models only (but not MTs), and is $500 with new instrument purchase. What Michael states is true though. You used to be able to but a new gloss-top MTO for $2450 when they first came out. Now they are well over $3k.

As for pricing, there is a clear expectation of 10% off list on new Collings instruments (although there are dealers who in their desperation will bend the rules, however I know Collings frowns on this and has taken action on some). While it’s not 100%, this affords the brand a fairly expectation on used models. As always, there are exceptions. It’s a strong brand, and some models are fairly scarce. That said, a dealer will take a Collings mandolin in trade on most transactions, which is more than can be said for other brands. Consequently you can generally predict what you will get on resale and or trade. This has been my personal observation over the last 10+ years.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mandobar For This Useful Post:

and what's the difference between a mf5 and a mf5v? is it just the varnish? and what makes the collings deluxe? the pickguard?

And mf5 is lacquer, the mf5v is varnished and comes standard with a pickguard.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

28. The following members say thank you to Mandobar for this post:

I bought my first mandolin sight unseen, and loved it. After playing dozens of other instruments, I realize now how darn lucky I was that was the case.

Best advice in this thread so far is to go play them. Being in the store and willing to buy an instrument like this is also handy for seeing how much a shop might work with you to make a sale. If you want to save on the sales tax, you can always have them ship it home to you...

30. The following members say thank you to Scott R for this post:

what's the difference between lacquer and varnish?

Registered User Michael Neverisky's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ironscott View Post
    If you want to save on the sales tax, you can always have them ship it home to you...
    Only, I think, if your home state does not collect sales tax. Like my home state of New Hampshire.

My open offer to the forum: feel free to ship all new mandolins to my house!

If I had over 5k to spend I would take the 5 hour trip.
    Girouard Concert A5
    Girouard Custom A4
    Nordwall Cittern
    Barbi Mandola
    Crump OM-1s Octave
    www.singletonstreet.com

34. The following members say thank you to Chuck Leyda for this post:

I think Aptius is Canadien, are you there?
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Quote Originally Posted by Jdavani View Post
    what's the difference between lacquer and varnish?
    These are questions that can only really be answered by playing these models in person.

37. The following members say thank you to Mandobar for this post:

I fully concur that the 5-hour drive is well worth the investment.

Just to add to the difficult decision, I own a Collings MF5-V and to me it is really a spectacular instrument. It calls me to play daily and is quite difficult to put down. Fit & finish, playability and sound are all there. If a herd of buffalo ran through our town and trampled said instrument, I would not hesitate to purchase exactly the same mandolin again (after much saving).

As far as Apitius goes, David Benedict plays one in recent times and he sounds incredible with it (live and studio). I'm sure 99% of that tone is David's skill and taste but his endorsement of Apitius says an awful lot to me. I'm sure you can't go wrong here, good luck.
    “Without music, life would be a mistake” Neitzsche

Collings MF5-V
    Kimble A5
    An electric rig with an envelope filter trying to sound like Jerry...