Thread: "Ice tea" sunburst

Blog Entries

Default "Ice tea" sunburst

This topic came up in passing on another thread but it was within a generic discussion on staining. I would like to ask a question about a specific coloring pattern for application to an F-style mandolin.

Shown in the photo is another member's former Lebeda mandolin. I really like the subdued colors and subtle gradation on this instrument and would like to ask those more familiar with mixing colors how one might proceed with reproducing with effect.

I have about 15 different shads of the water soluble Trans-Fast dyes and about 12 shades of the alcohol-base Trans-Tints (including the a range of browns dark to light and also other colors like amber, red, orange, yellow, and black in each line of dyes.

Of course I will play around with the colors but I'm just curious to know how those more experienced might proceed with this goal. I could do either brush on or spay on if I need to.

I'm actually not too worried about staining the maple back and sides but very apprehensive about the spruce top.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lebeda F-5 Premium Plus tea burst.jpg 
Views:	435 
Size:	155.3 KB 
ID:	168919  
    Bernie
    ____
    Due to current budgetary restrictions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off -- sorry about the inconvenience.

Default Re: "Ice tea" sunburst

On a very “quilty” back it would look like a glass of iced tea! I like the color!
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

''Former member'' ?? - I'm still here - at least i was a moment ago !. The colour alone of that mandolin almost sold it to me when i went down to TAMCO to choose my first 'good' mandolin - when i played it,it was a no brainer. Immaculate craftsmanship & a lovely warm,full sound.

Is that what is known as an 'iced tea' sunburst ?. I should know the colour - i had enough iced tea over in the US back in 1992 to float an armada !. Lord knows i needed it - the humidity was HIGH - it didn't affect my banjo though !!.( Please write any remarks re.banjos on $100 notes & send 'em over 'cos i'm very,very poor - so's my butler & maid servant !).

Bernie - Thinking about it,i don't think that the colour was done deliberately as a 'burst'. The area close to the edge,which is carved to thin it down ( what's it's name ?),then shows some end grain as you cut through it. I think that the grain simply took on more of the same colour - as end grain tends to do,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

4. The following members say thank you to Ivan Kelsall for this post:

Ivan, he said “Another member’s former mandolin”, not former member’s.
    Yep, I bet you did drink a fair bit of iced tea down there, I find I drink a lot when it’s “ugly” hot and humid around here too!
    This weekend will see me making up a quart or two.
    I was thinking about the very quilty back from the other day, that colour over the quilt would almost look like ice cubes!
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Timbofood For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Kelsall View Post
    ''Former member'' ?? - I'm still here - at least i was a moment ago !. The colour alone of that mandolin almost sold it to me when i went down to TAMCO to choose my first 'good' mandolin - when i played it,it was a no brainer. Immaculate craftsmanship & a lovely warm,full sound.

Is that what is known as an 'iced tea' sunburst ?. I should know the colour - i had enough iced tea over in the US back in 1992 to float an armada !. Lord knows i needed it - the humidity was HIGH - it didn't affect my banjo though !!.( Please write any remarks re.banjos on $100 notes & send 'em over 'cos i'm very,very poor - so's my butler & maid servant !).

Bernie - Thinking about it,i don't think that the colour was done deliberately as a 'burst'. The area close to the edge,which is carved to thin it down ( what's it's name ?),then shows some end grain as you cut through it. I think that the grain simply took on more of the same colour - as end grain tends to do,
    Ivan
    Yes I know that you are still here Ivan -- and we are all better off for it too!

You could be right about intentional verus "un-intentional" burst -- but whatever that is the look I would really like to copy.

What would you call that color? Tawny?
    Bernie
    ____
    Due to current budgetary restrictions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off -- sorry about the inconvenience.

Bernie,
    If you think this is similar enough, I can send you the Tans-Tint dyes/ratios used.Was air-brushed, not rubbed.
    John
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Iced Tea Burst.jpg 
Views:	189 
Size:	431.5 KB 
ID:	168924

9. The following members say thank you to crooksj for this post:

A brighter photo...Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Iced Tea Burst2.jpg 
Views:	215 
Size:	516.0 KB 
ID:	168927

11. The following members say thank you to crooksj for this post:

Blog Entries

I would have called the original something like "burnt amber" which, if I recall correctly, is one of the new coloring options for Weber. If you Google-image "amber" it's a good match, because it has the depth and complexity of color vs. being a flat finish.

This one is a bit redder, but described as an ice tea burst: http://www.vintagemandolin.com/89fla...890101375.html

On the back, I see it. On the top, it seems more like what Gibson called their Cherry Burst on, say, a Les Paul.

13. The following members say thank you to Drew Streip for this post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by crooksj View Post
    Bernie,
    If you think this is similar enough, I can send you the Tans-Tint dyes/ratios used.Was air-brushed, not rubbed.
    John

Name:	Iced Tea Burst.jpg 
Views:	189 
Size:	431.5 KB 
ID:	168924
    Wow that is one beautiful mandolin!!! I agree that is very close color and concept match IMO. Knowing the dyes would be fabulous!!!
    Bernie
    ____

15. The following members say thank you to Bernie Daniel for this post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Streip View Post
    I would have called the original something like "burnt amber" which, if I recall correctly, is one of the new coloring options for Weber. If you Google-image "amber" it's a good match, because it has the depth and complexity of color vs. being a flat finish.

This one is a bit redder, but described as an ice tea burst: http://www.vintagemandolin.com/89fla...890101375.html

On the back, I see it. On the top, it seems more like what Gibson called their Cherry Burst on, say, a Les Paul.
    A little darker for sure but also very close in impression at least if not actual color. It is also nice. The old Gibson cherry burst was nice but I thought they missed the boat by not making it more subtle instead of so "in-your-face". Of course my opinions on colors and lots of other things have changed over the years. I owned a 1960 Hummingbird and a 1973 J-45 and both looked good back in the day but now I see them as just bright. The Flatiron looks much better than those old Gibson cherries.
    Last edited by Bernie Daniel; Jun-27-2018 at 1:38pm.
    Bernie
    ____

17. The following members say thank you to Bernie Daniel for this post:

Here's some nice photos of an electric guitar in iced tea burst -

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...iced-tea-burst

19. The following members say thank you to jesserules for this post:

I sent you a PM with my "recipe"

21. The following members say thank you to crooksj for this post:

From Timothy - " Ivan, he said “Another member’s former mandolin”, not former member’s. " Oooops - Dyslexia rules KO !!,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

It's all in the DNA Ivan! (Doesn't that stand for the "National Association of Dyslexics"?)

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ray(T) For This Useful Post:

Paul Shippey made this Mandolin for me last year with a pale sunburst at my request. It's spruce top / Maple back and sides.

I have an slightly older one with a Cedar top & they both sound really good but different. The cedar sounds a little warmer with clear piano-like sound and the spruce is more complex, slightly harder with more overtones.

Paul makes great Mandolins.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Goldie.jpg 
Views:	148 
Size:	673.8 KB 
ID:	168950Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Goldie2.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	721.0 KB 
ID:	168951

Sorry I can't actually tell you how it was done !
    Last edited by Davey; Jun-28-2018 at 6:00am.

26. The following members say thank you to Davey for this post:

Skip Kelly also makes a beautiful “iced tea” burst. Have it on my A5 he made in February of this year. At work, so no photos for now, but will try to remember to post some tonight. You may try sending him a pm if he doesn’t chime in. Seems to be a great guy in addition to an outstanding and creative luthier...
    Chuck

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CES For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by crooksj View Post
    I sent you a PM with my "recipe"
    Thanks so much! That was very helpful. You do some incredible work at your shop I must say!
    Bernie
    ____

30. The following members say thank you to Bernie Daniel for this post:

Bernie, my last mandolin was done with 3 colors. Vintage amber, red mahogany, and then tobacco brown. The amber had a few drops of red mahogany to darken the yellow so it wasn't so bright. The red mahogany I left as is. The tobacco brown, I mixed in a few drops of black. I left the coloring fairly light because I wanted the wood to show real good. The back was highly figured but you can't really tell from my lousy pictures!

32. The following members say thank you to Skip Kelley for this post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Skip Kelley View Post
    Bernie, my last mandolin was done with 3 colors. Vintage amber, red mahogany, and then tobacco brown. The amber had a few drops of red mahogany to darken the yellow so it wasn't so bright. The red mahogany I left as is. The tobacco brown, I mixed in a few drops of black. I left the coloring fairly light because I wanted the wood to show real good. The back was highly figured but you can't really tell from my lousy pictures!
    Thanks Skip! Lousy pictures? Au contraire mon bonhomme! I had wonderful time going through all of them -- eye candy and beautiful work!

I am assuming the "last mandolin" is shown in the last image (image 112)? I also liked the coloration the mandolin shown in image number 34 a lot. I liked the other bursts also -- the last two F-5 shown below are very attractive to my eye as well. I would probably try to make the colors fainter or more pale for my application but I like the colors.

I am guessing that you apply your tints by wiping? Dissolved in water or alcohol? I'm assuming alcohol as those seem like Trans-Tint colors? How much do you typically dilute the stock dye solution before the application to the wood? Any sealer before starting the dye application?

Thanks again!

Images below are Kelly mandolins:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kelly Burst.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	126.2 KB 
ID:	168977   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kelly Burst2.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	163.0 KB 
ID:	168978   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kelly Burst3.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	91.4 KB 
ID:	168979  

Name:	Kelly Burst4.jpg 
Views:	129 
Size:	271.0 KB 
ID:	168980   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kelly Burst5.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	124.0 KB 
ID:	168981  
    Last edited by Bernie Daniel; Jun-29-2018 at 12:24am.
    Bernie
    ____

Bernie, thanks for the kind words! The colors are all a basic variation of what I mentioned. Some being a little more orange looking in the center than amber. I use alcohol and trans tint dyes. I'll use a very light amber diluted first checking for scratches and then if it's good, I just start wiping my stain on. I wipe the first two colors and then I use an air brush to spray the tobacco brown. I feel I get a better burst this way and have better control of the staining process.

Bernie, the fourth picture in that group was varnished with some amber varnish from International Violin. It made it look more orange. It really yellowed the binding like the 60's and 70's mandolins!

Bernie, I'm looking forward to seeing pictures of your mandolin!

Just taking a WAG the original and yours both look like yellow ground, no red in the center and then Honey Amber in very thin layers for the burst? Am I close?

Never mind didn't read far enough. Very nice touch with the T. Brown, almost not there!!

Alan D.