Thread: Bridge stuck to top

Default Bridge stuck to top

Greetings. I am changing strings and need to move bridge to correct intonation, however the bridge seems stuck to top. I’ve tried to shift it and wiggle, but don’t want to apply too much pressure, I’m afraid of damaging the finish. It’s a black top, varnish I believe, 2 foot bridge. Can’t remember if I’ve tried to move the bridge since I’ve had it. I bought it new.Any suggestions?
    Teri LaMarco
    Hear my music on Spotify (and other streaming services)
    https://open.spotify.com/album/2XBuk...SV24bnkZ2uC-hw

Default Re: Bridge stuck to top

Sounds like the finish was not fully cured when the bridge was first mounted. I had the happen on an Eastman. I am reluctant to offer any advice, as damage could result, but If it were my problem and my instrument, I think I would try carefully warming the bridge and surrounding surface at bit with a hair dryer to see if it will pop loose. I fear that no matter what, your going to have a mark where the bridge sat.

The best advice may be to seek a luthier.
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a vet.

I'd try just leaving it be for a couple days and see if over time w/o the string pressure it releases (or at least loosens) on it's own. Blow dryer also sounds good, if you have one..

I only clicked on this thread because a previous owner of a Regal I recently picked up glued the bridge, and of course placed a little off. The finish is amazingly good for an 80ish year old mandolin. I hate to risk damaging it trying to correct intonation.

Should not be glued, it’s most likely just stuck. Yes, finish damage my be a byproduct, how long has it been stuck?
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

6. The following members say thank you to Timbofood for this post:

Thank you all, I got it off and it did leave an impression on the top. The underside of the bridge had a touch of the finish. Unavoidable I guess. I cleaned both areas and reset the bridge with new strings.
    Teri LaMarco
    Hear my music on Spotify (and other streaming services)
    https://open.spotify.com/album/2XBuk...SV24bnkZ2uC-hw

Post removed. Advise no longer needed.