Thread: Bluegrass up the neck

Default Bluegrass up the neck

Who has worked with this book. Seems like alot to take in

Default Re: Bluegrass up the neck

I found it the most useful and practical way to learn basic bluegrass mandolin other than lessons with a good teacher. There is a lot of material. Take it slow and don’t worry if you do not want to memorize all the tunes. You can use what you learn on many other tunes. Highly recommended.

3. The following members say thank you to Andy B for this post:

Peter, It's just like Andy said, take it slow! There is so much that you can apply to all your playing. It is a great way to learn to play out of closed positions, chop chord shapes, etc. The examples are demonstrated in different keys, so you can apply them elsewhere. Niles is a great teacher! Good luck on your journey!

I've used it for myself and for a few my students. Skip is right, I think, take it slow. The goal is learning these up the neck closed positions in such a way that you can apply the closed positions to tunes for which you already know. Playing out of chop chord shapes provides more variety in your playing and the patterns, if learned to automaticity, virtually eliminates crashing and burning in jams.

Here is a link to Elderly's listing for Cafe member Niles Hokkanen's book. The actual name is "Bluegrass/Up the neck".
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

As all have said, great book, with real-life examples. That and his little chord book are way cool and will enhance your playing. He also did 3 books of solos by Skaggs, Lawson, Jimmy Gaudreau (pictured). These bad boys are tremendous...and tough to find.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gaudreau book.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	14.0 KB 
ID:	168920  

Here is every book Niles wrote that Elderly has in stock.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

Should I work on memorization of those licks so I can carry them over to when I do a break or is it more meant to learn the theory behind what we should do in a jam

I think all of Niles books are great!!
    I used them when they first came out, (and I was just learning...seems so long ago!)
    After Bluegrass/Up the neck, The Pentatonic Mandolin was a great help to start soloing and improvising!
    And when I got my first mandola, I bought his Mandola Sampler book too.
    Just fine, fine books!
    Jeff
    Jeffrey S Wagner

There is theory in the examples which you can learn, and it never hurts to know what you are doing and why it works. But once you play the patterns for a while, you’ll discover ways to incorporate them into your playing without having to know all the theory. The patterns repeat all over the neck in all the keys. There is a lot of information in the book/CD and you don’t have to master all of it to get a lot out of the book and CD.

I just ordered 2 of his other books to work on as well. The chord use book and pentatonic mandolin

Quote Originally Posted by Peter123 View Post
    I just ordered 2 of his other books to work on as well. The chord use book and pentatonic mandolin
    If you want to learn to play harmonies, his Twin Mandolin Method is a good reference also.
    Mike

Those who think they should think, like they think others think they should think, need to think out their thinking, I think.

No envejecemos, maduramos. -Pablo Picasso

Quote Originally Posted by Peter123 View Post
    Should I work on memorization of those licks so I can carry them over to when I do a break or is it more meant to learn the theory behind what we should do in a jam
    Peter, I learned the licks so I could use them in all different keys. The theory will come with time.