Thread: Booster Pedal

Default Booster Pedal

Hello all. I’m new to this forum. Sorry if this has been posted before but I can’t find anything. When I play mando with my little “family band,” it gets lost. I have a pickup, into a DB1 box. From there I want to go into an acoustic booster pedal. The only things I want are volume boost, a mute button, and battery capabilities. Does such a thing exist? I don’t need any other effects.
    Thank you.

Default Re: Booster Pedal

It would help if you told us what type of pick up your using & what kind of amplification your plugging into, usually just a decent Di box into a PA system works well, a lot of guys here use red eye preamp including me and it has what your looking for.
    Lou

I use a LR Baggs Venue, which has the features you desire, + a tuner. No effects, but plenty of EQ options, feedback control, etc. I actually like it a lot, but will admit I’ve not used any others...
    Chuck

Not sure the pickup. It’s something Gold Tone installed into the tailpiece. Rapcohorizon DB-1 into PreSonus mixer with QSC speakers. The DB-1 has no options to boost the volume. So when I’m chopping, I don’t want a ton of volume. Then on a bridge, I need to bring it up.

Actually, it is an LR Braggs radius M pickup. (Just found the receipt). I like the looks of that pedal!

I play very lightly when I chord, it's not often, but if I want to play a little harder I move my right hand very close to the bridge. It cuts the volume down quite a bit. I also use my forearm to mute and play a little higher up the neck. It depends what I am after. I have a boost, but these techniques take care of it most times.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Quietly Making Noise Dave Greenspoon's Avatar

+1 on the Venue. Nice boost, gain and vol controls, eq, di out, cruddy tuner but helpful mute.
    Axes: Eastman MD-515 & El Rey; Eastwood S Mandola
    Amps: Fishman Loudbox 100; Rivera Clubster Royale Recording Head & R212 cab; Laney Cub 10

I use a Marshall Bluesbreaker in "clean boost" mode for that.

Blog Entries

I run my Mix F5 through an Orchid Electronics preamp. I has 3 band parametric EQ and a volume control. I generally don't need to adjust the volume on stage. But last time I did, the engineer had a little feedback problem. So do build in some headroom to the total sound, otherwise you'll go from barely audible to feedback with nothing in between.

The solid body electrics go through an Origin Effects SlideRig, the big ones that they don't make anymore. What a great piece of kit. Built for slide playing you can run straight through (no boost), hit the Rhythm switch for a bit of boost, and then if you need more, hit the Lead switch for even more boost. This beast is a pair of dynamic preamp/compressors. The harder you lean on the strings, the more it'll squeeze.

You have lots of choices other than these two.
    - Boss makes a nice EQ pedal that has a little gain fader on it. But be careful, it's pretty sensitive.
    - Any number of compressors may fit your requirements.

Hope this helps!
    Daniel

Thanks for all the info!! Time to look into everyone’s suggestions!

If all you want is volume control you could just get a volume pedal.

Quote Originally Posted by Nevin View Post
    If all you want is volume control you could just get a volume pedal.
    With something like the Boss FV-500H you can dial in a minimum volume and simply step on it to give you the boost whilst still being able to back off a little if you think you've overdone it. All without missing a note!

N.B. That particulat Boss is more or less bomb-proof but it's quite a hefty piece of kit so you might like to look at one of the smaller models.