Thread: Another Red-Eye Question

Default Another Red-Eye Question

Muting...

I know all about inserting a tuner in the effects loop, but I was thinking about a simpler solution to just plug in an on-off pedal. When I tried it, both in the send and the return, it completely cut the signal, both on and off.

I'm thinking maybe I had a positive polarity pedal when I need a negative, or vice-versa. The other possibility is to insert a Y cord into both and then plug the pedal into that.

Has anyone tried this - plugging in a two-way switch to see if it would mute-unmute?
    Being right is overrated. Doing right is what matters.

Northfield F5S Blacktop
    Pono MND-20H

Default Re: Another Red-Eye Question

I think you would have to go out and back in if you are using the aux send. Are you sure you don't have an on/on switch. If you use a simply on/off switch you may be able to simply short it signal, I don't remember which send or return, but that is what I did using a micro switch and drilled a hole in the pedal for a permanent mount. Should work the same if you don't mind carrying another pedal.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

My initial thought was that if the effects loop is interrupted on the input side, the entire signal would be muted. It is, but I can't then achieve a signal with the switch on, which leads me to think that the input side needs a completed circuit, rather than working as a channel insert like on some higher level sound boards.

So I think you're right in that I'll need an in-line switch. I can test it just using two 1/4" plugs and some test leads.

Northfield F5S Blacktop
    Pono MND-20H

If all you need is to mute, just buy a Planet Waves cord with a switch on the plug housing.

I thought I'd take an opportunity to point out a new company on the scene, SunnAudio. I was a confirmed RedEye user. Really like them, and still do. But I got introduced to SunnAudio while having Dazzo pickups installed in a guitar. He had a SunnAudio prototype and A/B'd with the RedEye. There was a noticeable difference. Just a warmer quality sound. Works with all piezo pickups. I don't have a piezo in my mandolin yet, but I haven't used my RedEye since.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

Well heck. I didn't even know they made something like that. thx.

Northfield F5S Blacktop
    Pono MND-20H

Before I put the switch in I just used a 1/4" plug and plugged it in for mute. I don't remember if I shorted it or just left it. Try them both.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Quote Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post
    I thought I'd take an opportunity to point out a new company on the scene, SunnAudio.
    Thanks for the recommendation.