Thread: Big Sciota, Mandolin to Guitar

Default Big Sciota, Mandolin to Guitar

Folks,
    I know most people here started on guitar before switching to mandolin, and we get a lot of questions about that. I actually started on guitar, but it was a LONG time ago, and I never really got to learning how to flat-pick before I switched. So, looking for advice about making the switch to guitar, specifically for flat-picking.
    I recently decided to try learning any new tune I learn on guitar as I'm learning it on mandolin. On Big Sciota, I've been sliding up to put my index finger on the E on the B string for the end of the A part and through most of the B part. Is that how it would typically be flat-picked?
    More generally, any advice about flat-picking on guitar, especially when it come to when and where to change hand positions? Any books that start pretty simply for flat-picking but don't assume someone has little to no musical knowledge?

Default Re: Big Sciota, Mandolin to Guitar

I’d do a Google search and watch some videos, check out Banjo Ben - there are tons of guitar lesson videos out there, and Mel Bay has 25% off this weekend so check out some books. Maybe consider a lesson or two to get going on the right track.
    Northfield F5M #268, AT02 #7

Hattio, the tune is in the key of G. The last note in the A part (on guitar) is an open G. In the run-up of the second to last phrase, I slide up from the D note on the B string to the double stop E (1st string open & 2nd string 5th fret) with the ring finger....since the the final phrase starts on the open E & is played in 1st position. The common way to play the start of the B part is to barre the 1st & 2nd strings with the index finger and play the first phrase A & B notes with the ring & pinky finger. I can't think of too many places in that tune where I slide with the index finger.... since most of the preceding notes are fretted with the ring or middle finger & I tend to play the phrase following the E note on the B string in first position using the ringing open E string as a start, rather than continuing in closed position going up the B string. Not sure if that makes sense to you. Hope it helps some.

4. The following members say thank you to doc holiday for this post:

Thanks Doc Holiday. I think I've got it figured where to move myself back down to first position. You never did say what frets you bar for first and second string. I'm now just sliding up to 5th fret, B string with my index finger for the first part of the B section.