Thread: Bowl back mandolin neck coming apart?

Default Bowl back mandolin neck coming apart?

It appears that the neck is slightly coming apart from the body, It doesnt seem loose but im worried about tightening the strings, Is this a major issue? is it a $100 paid luthier kind of problem or can it be fixed with a wood glue or epoxy? The neck does not seem warped or bent in any way. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image1 (1).jpeg 
Views:	121 
Size:	174.8 KB 
ID:	168829

Thank you so much for any help! Its all very appreciated.

Default Re: Bowl back mandolin neck coming apart?

How high is the string action?

Has the neck and neck block actually moved?

If not, this is not a serious problem.

PM me for some more info.

Action is pretty low, from about 1/16 or 2/16 at the E strings, I can’t tell whether they’ve moved, if so not drastically .

4. The following members say thank you to ZacGordon for this post:

They always look like that to be honest, as long as the action is OK, and you keep it strung up light, don't worry about it.

On joints such as that,it's very hard to get a 100% 'smooth juncture' between one piece of wood & another. Maybe some filler might have worked,but that might have detracted from the appearance. IMHO - It's simply where the finish has cracked (sort of !) along the joint line,& if as you say,the neck is still 'solid' & hasn't moved,it's nothing to worry about.

You could always use a tiny amount of some appropriately coloured wood filler to fill the gap, & then refinish it in that area ?,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

7. The following members say thank you to Ivan Kelsall for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Kelsall View Post
    On joints such as that,it's very hard to get a 100% 'smooth juncture' between one piece of wood & another. Maybe some filler might have worked,but that might have detracted from the appearance. IMHO - It's simply where the finish has cracked (sort of !) along the joint line,& if as you say,the neck is still 'solid' & hasn't moved,it's nothing to worry about.
    It's also worth pointing out that strictly speaking there is no (structural) joint there: the neck continues into the instrument as one piece and forms the neck block that the ribs are attached to. What you're seeing there is a non-structural butt joint between the end of the ribs and the end of the recess they're glued into. In other words it's a cosmetic flare on the neck that tidies up where the ribs come to an end and the neck starts. Hope that makes sense, awful hard to describe in words

As long as the ribs are firmly glued to the neck all's fine, it's when they start properly pulling away that you have to worry!

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tavy For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Kelsall View Post

You could always use a tiny amount of some appropriately coloured wood filler to fill the gap, & then refinish it in that area ?,
    Ivan
    Thank you! I just wasn’t sure if this meant that the actual joint connecting was going to start coming apart. This helps a lot thank you!

11. The following members say thank you to ZacGordon for this post:

Yeah I’ve seen the inside of some of these, Just wanted to make sure that this little crack didn’t mean the joint was going to eventually break aswell easily. Thank you so much!

Just make sure you use very light gauge strings on that instrument.

14. The following members say thank you to DavidKOS for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by DavidKOS View Post
    Just make sure you use very light gauge strings on that instrument.
    What brand or type of strings would you recommend? It has strings on it but I’m not sure if those are the strings that started to cause this problem.

16. The following members say thank you to ZacGordon for this post:

If you are in the US, best inexpensive strings are GHS A240 (ultralight gauge). A friend also recommended these Galli strings which are not all that more expensive than the GHS. I use Dogal Calace RW92b for my bowlbacks.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jim Garber For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    If you are in the US, best inexpensive strings are GHS A240 (ultralight gauge). A friend also recommended these Galli strings which are not all that more expensive than the GHS. I use Dogal Calace RW92b for my bowlbacks.
    All good choices.

I also like the Turkish (German steel) Avarez strings, when I can find them. These are their banjo mandolin and saz strings, showing two types of packaging.
    Right now I can't find the mandolin strings, but I'm pretty sure the banjo mandolin strings are about the same.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidKOS View Post
    I also like the Turkish (German steel) Avarez strings, when I can find them. These are their banjo mandolin and saz strings, showing two types of packaging.
    Right now I can't find the mandolin strings, but I'm pretty sure the banjo mandolin strings are about the same.
    I found Avarez strings here and much cheaper here or check out this link.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

21. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

Tavy explained it better than myself. It really is where ''wood touches wood'' & there is no real joint to come apart. I think that the builders simply depended on the glue & varnish to seal the tiny gap. Eventually, shrinkage would maybe cause the varnish to crack,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.